2001 ASO USSC Discovery One

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by DanBKing, May 15, 2012.

1. DanBKing

DanBKing Active Member

Hah!! 33 deg and sunny here ...........! :sticktongue:

The display case is finished!!!!! I still have to fit the Discovery in yet, but all the main construction work is done.
    The display case will be mounted on the wall eventually, where the DC3 now hangs. The bottom of the case will be on the same level as the DC3 display, thereby creating a 'boxed-in' effect around the tv.

DSC_0171.JPG DSC_0177.JPG

While I wait to fit the Discovery, I have been playing with camera settings, lighting and depth of field .....
    The pictures are still crap at the moment, but I will be working on it some more tonight, after dark.
    The concept is there though, just gotta perfect it now. The first photo is very close.........

DSC_0163.JPG DSC_0116.JPG

2. Revell-Fan

Revell-Fan Co-Administrator Administrator

Keep it comin', keep it comin'..! :)
    DanBKing likes this.
  3. DanBKing

DanBKing Active Member

So, I think I have nailed the final shots...... :):)

General_457.JPG General_458.JPG

The model has been placed on temporary stands in the display case, waiting for final lighting design and implementation.
    But, it gives you a very good indication of where I am going with this ..............
    Oh, and on a weird note, look at the TV's IR receiver lens, in the second photo...... Look familiar ...??
    Spooky! HAL is watching me!!

Will update as and when things progress, but I have a feeling there may be a delay before the lighting gets finalized, as my LED expert is very busy at the moment. But we will see..........

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
  4. Revell-Fan

5. Cforrest900

Cforrest900 Member

WOWOWOWOWOWOW! I legitimately thought that first picture was a screen cap from the film until I read your caption! Props to you; this is a beautiful build.
    DanBKing likes this.
  6. DanBKing

DanBKing Active Member

Thank you!
  7. Ken Spriggs

Ken Spriggs New Member

That is really awesome, can't wait to see how it all comes together!
    DanBKing likes this.
  8. zathros

zathros -----SENIOR---- Administrator

I would seriously consider using fiber optics. You need less bulbs, you can run smaller light points, and it is easier to figure out electronically. I think they look better. You could light a whole ship with one LED bulb, more, if you need more colors, even then, you can surround the bulb with different color plastic sheets, and that color will transmit down the Optic line. Just my 2 cents worth. :)
  9. Ken Spriggs

Ken Spriggs New Member

You DID nail those shots! They really look like stills from the film! Awesome!
    DanBKing likes this.
  10. DanBKing

DanBKing Active Member

Thanks @Ken Spriggs .
    On the computer, I superimposed the camera shot over the film still, to try to match it.
    Unfortunately, it is still not 100% correct. The depth of field and perspective is not quite correct.
    I took the shots with my Sony smart phone camera. I am hoping to try some shots with my Nikon DSLR next week, and then I hope to have even better shots than those the above.
    It was getting the lighting correct that took the most time. And even that is not 100% correct either.
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
  11. Ken Spriggs

Ken Spriggs New Member

I understand, I've been working and reworking my Discovery pod bay for about a year! Sometimes I come up with an idea and it works great, some others I keep trying different approaches until it's just right! Too much of a perfectionist I guess ; p
  12. spaceagent-9

spaceagent-9 Right Hand Man and Confidant

im floored. most excellent!! just sitting here in awe of not only a grand model , but your landmark build of it!!! great skills and beyond excellent outcome!!
    DanBKing likes this.
  13. Ken Spriggs

Ken Spriggs New Member

I feel your pain! I'm working on a 3 ft resin version of the Discovery. I used a brass tube for the spine and although the parts were finished, all of the little "nuts" had to be drilled out and the edges sanded and smoothed with needle files. I had to come up with a jig to keep them all aligned when sliding onto the tube. Here is a link to my gallery. You can see the jig in thr background, I screwed down two strips of wood with just enough space between to fit one row of the spine sections. I lined up the next section first before gluing. http://zealot.com/gallery/photos/1492/
    DanBKing likes this.
  14. DanBKing

DanBKing Active Member

Yeah, we have got to be 'nuts' to go this far...
    Your jig method is similar to mine. And, well, its works! Everything is linear! :biggrin:

I have decided that I am not happy with the backing picture .........
    I am going to edit it and get it re-printed..... Another €25 to be spent.....:meh:
    I really do not like the position of the moon (Europa) in the picture. It sits smack in the middle of the model, from all angles, and spoils the whole visual concept for me.... I am going to edit the picture and reposition the moon to the upper left of the backdrop.

This combo pic shows what I mean .....

And I'm still waiting on getting the lighting done ......!

See you hopefully soon ...... ;)

Cforrest900 likes this.
  15. Revell-Fan

16. DanBKing

DanBKing Active Member

17. Revell-Fan

18. DanBKing

DanBKing Active Member

An update, for no update .........!

It has been 10 days since I last posted....
    And nothing has changed. :sorry:

Ok, well, a little thing has.....

I have 'acquired' 3 lengths of 10 mm threaded rod and purchased some wall anchors, that I require to mount the display case on the wall.

Because of the MDF boards, the display case has quite a weight to it, so I needed relatively strong materials to support it.
    I will put shrouds and end-caps on the threaded rods, when affixed to the wall, and the display case will rest on these.

I have borrowed the correct size (16mm,) SDS masonry drill from a friend. (€35 for something I'm probably gonna use just this once, does not justify the cost, so hence the borrowing. ;))
    So, I am hoping to make some holes, (and p|$$ the neighbours off!! ) at some point tomorrow evening. :)

At least then, everything will be ready, for when the display case lighting is eventually finished. :yawn:

19. spaceagent-9

spaceagent-9 Right Hand Man and Confidant

inspired to fool around for a few minutes and invented the Discovery 2 lol.

discovery II.png

just kidding what an out standing work!!! I might try this at 1/2 size one day
    Sky Seeker, Revell-Fan and DanBKing like this.
  20. DanBKing

DanBKing Active Member

Hahaha. Looks like the runt of the litter ....... :)