The Third gauge Layout Party!!! :) :) :)

Freelancer

Oct 24, 2002
Utah
www.yardlimit.com
Big surprise, but I haven't been making much progress in the areas that I had on my list. Although I have been making a little progress in other areas. I just got a radio throttle and I have been testing that out. Unfortunately I don't have a radio receiver so I am just using it tethered for now.

Earlier this year I took a model railroading class, so I decided that I would try some of the techniques I learned. I tried to make some trees, but they look pretty sad. I watched the teacher make beautiful trees right in front of my eyes, but I can't get mine to look anything like his. Granted I still have a few things to touch up on them, like triming some of the excess frizze that is hanging down, and covering the tip of the tree with some foliage later. Anywho, I would like some critiquing so that I can get my trees to look a little happier.

Thanks, Freelancer

Top picture is my smaller trees that are about 2 inches tall, and the second picture is of my taller trees that are 8 to 9 inches tall.

Attachments

• smalltrees.jpg
    smalltrees.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 302
  • talltrees2.jpg
    talltrees2.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 247

Freelancer

Oct 24, 2002
Utah
www.yardlimit.com
:cry: I just finished applying one final coat of hairspray to my trees shortly after the pictures, and I left the trees outside to dry. I was supposed to take them in before I left for work. As luck would have it, I forgot. Well...while I was gone to work, a nice little storm picked up. :cry: The bad news, the wind blew my trees away. :confused: The good news, the sprinkling system watered the trees down so they didn't blow to far. :cry: The bad news, between the wind and the sprinkling system all of the trees were destroyed, except :D two trees actually survived. I guess that those trees will always be sad. :( But I am still open for suggestions for when I start a new batch. I suppose I will give myself the first word of advice. :thumb: Don't leave your trees outside unless they are being attended to.

Freelancer

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
I made a little progress on the U33B. I have all the holes drilled for the railings and other detail parts.
I've also started building a few (3) GP35 frames. One powered (brass) and two dummy (plastic).

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Hooray, I am finally in the party!

I began painting two metal wheels. I also began painting the back and axles of four other sets. The fronts were already painted. I also fixed the two coal loads that had lost some of their coal.

The hardest thing now is to try to figure out how to add some weight to the Athearn 4-bay hopper and the Stewart hopper. According to NMRA recommendations they should be around 4 ounces. When they are empty I would like them to be about 3 ounces. The loads are about 1 ounce so when they are loaded they will be close to the recommended 4 ounces.

Hey Tom. I don't know the type of weights you use, modelers use so many different types. But I use the square 1/2 oz. metal weight. Usually I cement my weights on or in my cars. But you can also use velcro strips attached to the weights. So when you want 4oz you can easily add the weight or remove the weight. I've used this method in my coal cars. :D

Talk about painting wheel sets, boy do I have a lot to do. :rolleyes:

:wave:

F

Fred_M

I got the warehouse placed in a mini scene ready for insertion into my layout. Fred

Attachments

• warehouse8.jpg
    warehouse8.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 208

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
Nice work Fred. :thumb:
I've been making progress withe the GP35 projects.
I decided to save a little time and use the brass frame under my PRR dummy GP35 and power the stock Athearn frame for one of the BN ones.
I'm not sure what road the other one will be. I might paint it to match the Chessie System or WM units I need chassis for, or paint it for the PC. Allready have two CR units.
I'm trying to get all the locos (and a couple cars) ready so I can prime them at the same time.

Attachments

• Jul30003.JPG
    Jul30003.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 205

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
Here's a look at the new brass GP35 frame.
The frame is made of mostly .010" brass sheet and the bottom frame rails are N scale rails.

Attachments

• Jul30006.JPG
    Jul30006.JPG
    26.4 KB · Views: 192
F

Fred_M

Cool Ray. Here's the warehouse on a scene ready to put in the layout. Fred
warehouse14.jpg

warehouse11.jpg

warehouse15.jpg

Jun 30, 2003
Raleigh, NC
Visit site
I don't have any pictures, but the frame for the new layout is done, painted, and a thin layer of green covers the table now. I'm pretty much finished until I buy track sometime in late August.

C

Catt

Well this is also posted in another topic (twice actually :D ) I thought I would post it here too since it was a party project.

gvrnew2.jpg

She's still not finished as I am going to move the logos lower on the hood and probly add a plow to the front.Oh yeah and change out those 1016s for 1015s .

Gee and only five more to go.

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
I thought I was going to have a good modeling Sunday. But Alas that did not happen. I spent the day in the basement cleaning up from all the water that got in from this morning's rain. We here in Upper Darby got hammered with 4 to 5 inches in an hour. This is the first time I have had enough water in the basement to be problem since Floyd in '99. I lost some empty boxes and some scrape foam. I learned a long time ago to keep stuff off the floor. Maybe next time I will get to spend time in the basement modeling.

Hello all,

here is a new update to my progress on the party. I've done only a few small things last week :-( I've got many other things to do, so I've got no time for my layout.

What I've done is :
- Spend metal-wheelsets to my logging cars,
- painted the rails on layout in rusty brown color,
- coloring some of my scratchbuild buildings.

I hope I can finish the benchwork of landscape this week.
Pictures will come tomorrow.

So long, Gerd

CharlesH.

Jul 31, 2004
my house
Here's what I plan to accomplish during this month:
- Build a tudor-style house on top of a small hill. I want to include details like stained-glass windos, lawn furniture on the veranda, interior (where visible), lighting and a full fledged Frankenstein lab in the basement.

- Scratchbuild an art-deco depot. I want to do something like this:
salida%20depot%20art%20deco%201977%20pc.jpg

(only a bit smaller)