My Z-Scale SD45

SmolderZ

Sep 27, 2003
The Netherlands
Great news folks! :) I recieved all the roadbed I need for my modules! Right now I have enough MT flex track to finish both arrival/departure tracks at the first modules. If I succeed in finding some time this week then I might weather the new switch and lay some track. Hopefully I can post some new pictures very soon!

I also recieved a small box from Zthek with 11 little fall trees. Expect them to show up in the new pictures. ;)

SmolderZ

Sep 27, 2003
The Netherlands
Thanks Mike :)

As promised, I updated the low resolution pictures in my earlier post with new high resolution ones, enjoy ;)

I also made a picture of the box containing the trees from Zthek
zthektrees.jpg

SmolderZ

Sep 27, 2003
The Netherlands
I'm going to sell most of my Marklin switches and wait for Micro Trains to release their switches :) The MT's will look better on my layout since I also use MT flex track.

This is a picture of the new layout, it differs a little bit. I'm starting all over again, hopefully this is the last time!

layoutplanfinal01.JPG

I bought all the necessary wood for the 2 end modules. Hopefully I can start putting them together tomorrow.

frames.jpg

I really want to get it right this time, but with The Gauge forum at hand this shouldn't be a problem :D

pray59

Dec 31, 2003
Fremont, CA
home.comcast.net
I like your trackplan, the layout for the roundhouse is real cool. It's always nice to start construction on a new project.

I have not seen any samples of the new MTL switches, but I have seen samples of the sectional track, and it looks pretty good.

The new GP-35 that MTL is coming out with looks to be good too. We get to run the prototype sample Saturday at our Z-Bend Track club's spring meet. A guy from Oregon is coming down with the prototype GP-35 wearing the new gold painted shell, and another secret new MTL release that we get to play with. They want us to run the heck out of it, so we will.

-Robert

SmolderZ

Sep 27, 2003
The Netherlands
Robert, could you do me a little favor? Make some shots of that GP-35, I'm really interested in that model. I seen the chassis and it looks very promising, I wonder how it looks with the shell on it.

I also wonder what the other secret MTL model will be, could you give me a hint? :)

I guess you have to run the heck out of them to test the reliability, they will probably run flawlessly ;) You might write down the number of minutes it ran over the modules.

pray59

Dec 31, 2003
Fremont, CA
home.comcast.net
I'll take some pictures and post them for sure. I don't know what the suprise release is, but I'll take secret pictures of that too!

Yes, we will run the heck out of the GP and see how many cars it can pull too.

-Robert

pray59

Dec 31, 2003
Fremont, CA
home.comcast.net
No, I don't work for one of those companies, however I do have a small laser cutting hobby, and produce some Z Scale as well as N and HO craftsman kits to help fund my hobby.

One of the Z Scalers who lives in Medford Oregon (Loren Snyder) knows somebody who works for Microtrains, (Joe D'Amato) and Joe has let Loren (an authorized MTL Dealer) take the GP-35 loco to a couple shows and meets to give it a workout before releasing it on the public.

Since they have no local Z Bend Track club in Medford, Loren drives 4 hours up to Portland, or 6 hours down to San Francisco, to meet with Z Scalers and run his trains. Loren came down a few months ago when we had our first show at the GATS in San Francisco. Our club, The San Francisco Bay Area Z Cooperative or "BAZ" for short has just started building Z-Bend Track modules, and this weekend we are having a BBQ, where we will run trains. Everyone who can make it to the SF Bay Area was invited to attend.

The Z Scale crowd is like one big happy family, and although spread worldwide, it seems everyone knows everyone in Z Scale.

-Robert

SmolderZ

Sep 27, 2003
The Netherlands
Great review Robert! The shell looks awesome :eek: I'm really surprised to see it have that much detail, it's beyond my expectations. I'm also glad it runs so smooth, can't wait to run one myself :)

SmolderZ

Sep 27, 2003
The Netherlands
I finished the biggest frame of the 2 end modules today. It's very rigid and will make the perfect base :)

Tomorrow I got the day off, so hopefully I can finish the other end module then.

(pics soon)

I'm looking at this layout kit to start learning how to make scenery. Because I'm a complete newbie at this I thought it would be nice to start practicing on this layout kit from Woodland Scenics before applying anything on the real layout.

s929b.jpg

My local hobby shop has them, and they're pretty expensive. $95 usd for the N-Scale version. Have to think about it first...