My Z-Scale SD45

Cinnibar

Nov 2, 2003
El Paso, TX
Visit site
Z Scale

SmolderZ,

Well........thank you for my first good look at Z scale. Incredible!!!
I've seen adds for Z scale engines and stuff but your thread introduced me to Z in a BIG way, so to speak. Your new SD looks fantastic and I look forward to following along as your layout develops. Being a steam fan I was really impressed by the “Big Boy” and the GS’s. The handrails on those engines must be something like .002 brass wire - unbelievable! Anyway, thank you again for introducing Z to “The Gauge”. You started a VERY interesting thread. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

SmolderZ

Sep 27, 2003
The Netherlands
Great to hear! :) I just want to show people how great Z scale is, since many haven't heard or seen it, this topic shows some fantastic latest developments!

I'm designing my other modules for some time now, I'm getting closer to the final track plan.
trackdesign6.JPG

Here you can see a nice 2.5% grade over 1260mm of track, it crosses the other track and goes into the spiral tunnel.

Comming out of the spiral tunnel it goes underneeth the track it came from and returns to the main module.

I think you understand the picture :)

SmolderZ

Sep 27, 2003
The Netherlands
I'm going to drive DCC and I made my choice, Selectrix!

Most decoders I found for Z scale support Selectrix so it was a pretty easy choice, plus those DCC control centers look sooo cool! :D

img_0034.jpg

SmolderZ

Sep 27, 2003
The Netherlands
The first 2 tables are up but I'm going to adapt them. I've designed a simple rule for my tables: The length should be devideable by 50cm and the width is free.
I think it's important to add this rule because when I'm going to live on my own I need to be able to easely install and fit them into a new attic. Everything would look much cleaner too when I add more modules in the future with the same rule.

At the moment I'm working at a webdesign company, I'm doing this for school and it's part of the study. I will work here for 100 days and then I'll get my diploma. I will continui to study for another 4 years after getting my diploma for this one. That means that I will be able to scrape enough money together for my beatiful hobby so I can finish collecting all my locomotives and build most of my modules before I'm going to work fulltime :)
I'm affraid I would not have enough time for model railroading when I would be done with my studies so building the layout before I'm living on my own is a beautiful plan :D

I'm saving money for a digital camera now. I would love to show you my 3 SD45's with double stack wagons.

SmolderZ

Sep 27, 2003
The Netherlands
I've been working on my layout. You can see I'm busy with the yard. After seeing SD90s layout I just had to add a siding! It does add some extra operating fun :) The siding alows a train with 2 loco's and 17 cars, I hope that's enough for me :)

trackdesign7.JPG

SmolderZ

Sep 27, 2003
The Netherlands
A small miracle has happend

My parents bought a digital camera! I didn't had the budget right now to buy one for myself so I'm very happy to show you guys a picture allready :) I just figured out the digital zoom! :D
The picture shows my testtrack with a SD45 and husky car. For the people who don't have a 1 euro coin, it's 23mm in diameter.
sd45husky1euro.JPG

I ordered the balast for my main line on friday and it should come within 2 weeks, stay tuned ;)

SmolderZ

Sep 27, 2003
The Netherlands
I've been talking about taking a pictures of a N and Z locomotive from the same type so you can compare the difference in size between the two, well here it is! :)

comparismenNZ01.JPG

And another one:
comparismenNZ02.JPG

Now you know how big a Z-scale locomotive is compared with a N-scale one. A mystery has been solved for many of us :) To bad these locomotives aren't in there best condition, they won't run anymore either. I picked the Z-scale up from the local hobby shop, the engine is broken and they sold it to me for $5, I just couldn't leave it there :)

Sir_Prize

Mar 4, 2001
Port Charlotte,Florida
Visit site
Coolness!
Dropping a time could cause real damage in that scale. ;)

If ya' happen to spot a Steamer that's dead in Z scale give me a
shoot, if ya' could.
I want to use one as a "Display Model" in a Train Museum for an
N Trac Module. Thanks.

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
I am truly amazed at anyone who works in this scale!:eek: :cool:
My bad eyes & fat fingers are having enough thouble with N scale!:rolleyes: :D
Thiose are some very impressive models, SmolderZ!
I'm looking forward to seeing what you're up to!:cool: :thumb:

SmolderZ

Sep 27, 2003
The Netherlands
*Finally* I had some time last weekend to finish my main line. I still have to work on the balast. I want to show you some pictures of the banked corner that's in the main line, enjoy!

small1.JPG

small2.JPG

small3.JPG