My Z-Scale SD45

SmolderZ

Sep 27, 2003
The Netherlands
I have a new engine underway!

Sante Fe C44-9
RLWATSFmed.jpeg

Hopefully it got it next week, I'll take pics when it's here :)

These are next ;)

BNSF C44-9's
azl.c44.bnsf2.JPG

SmolderZ

Sep 27, 2003
The Netherlands
Small update: Both end module frames are finished now. Next step is adding the base for tracks.

I also ordered the layout kit from Woodland Scenics, I should have it next week.

The Sante Fe C44-9 has been send 2 weeks ago and should also arrive next week, can't wait! :)

pray59

Dec 31, 2003
Fremont, CA
home.comcast.net
I have to redo all my track on all 3 of my modules, because it got real warped in the sun a couple weeks ago. It looks like I will be re-doing my scenery too because of cracks rom the foam expanding in the sun too.

I heard that AZL is looking into repainting some of the Santa Fe units into other roads so they sell better. I would like a BN unit or 2.

I just heard that the preorder list for the Happy Birthday scheme GP35 is $165, and already you can find pre-order prices of $130 or less at discount sellers. I might buy me a bunch of the GP35's before I get more AZL's. I have 6 AZL's now, but I do want more, and I hope they have some SD70's at the NTS in Cincinnati next month.

-Robert

SmolderZ

Sep 27, 2003
The Netherlands
Wow Robert, that's terrible news! :eek: I didn't know that the sun could mess it up that much. My trainroom has no direct sunlight comming into it, bit it's terribly hot up there right now, like 37deg. I checked my rails and they seem fine.

I recieved my 4th AZL ;) It got in a few weeks ago, I haven't run it yet!
Sorry for the bad pictures, they're a bit moved, I couldn't use a tripod.

santeside.jpg

santeside2.jpg

santeside3.jpg

SmolderZ

Sep 27, 2003
The Netherlands
I don't know Livesteam, it might be a bit heavier, so it might take a few more cars. To bad I don't have like 40 cars to test it out :)

That's great Zman :) You can make a very nice layout in a very small space.

SmolderZ

Sep 27, 2003
The Netherlands
Snow shed project

This is what I build so far, tomorrow I'm going to paint it.

Shot of the portal:
shedportal01.jpg

Shot of the portal with a double stack wagon standing in it, it just fits, I intended too ;) :
shedportal02.jpg

A shot of the side, how it would look like when a car runs trought it:
shedside01.jpg

Here's an overview, it's quite long:
shedtop01.jpg

I also made sure the width of the shed at the corner is wide enough to make a Z-Scale Big Boy boiler able to sway in there ;)

Note: Some of the support poles are a bit off. When the model is secured onto the module I will fix this.

These pictures could've been better, I'll try to make em with natural light tomorrow.

pray59

Dec 31, 2003
Fremont, CA
home.comcast.net
That's a nice portal you built. Is it going to be removable for track access? I see you have some of Sgt. Tim's resin containers. They sure look good. i should have gotten some before he stopped making them. Tim has a new day job, so he stopped making lots of the things he was going to offer on his website, but I bet he starts selling more stuff again after he settles in to his new job.

-Robert

Dominique

May 26, 2004
Paris and Burgondy, France
Very nice work SmolderZ. But aren't you affraid there is insufficiant clearance between your doublestack car and your snowshed's roof? What happens if ever your track work bends or gets tilted with a change in heat or humidity?

Myself I'm very far of beeing at this stage as I'm just beginning to lay my track, but when it's time to scratchbuild my tunnel portals (unless I find them commercially available as I want to have models of those existing on the prototype Tehachapi Pass), I will adopt a higher clearance, in order to accomodate the slight changes of scale among various manufacturers (for example, if you couple a Micro-Trains Line Gunderson double stack with a sample from Harald Freudenreich, you see that there is a one or two-milimeter difference in height...).

Dominique

2slim

Jan 16, 2004
Murray, UT
Visit site
SmolderZ
That snow shed is DA BOMB! Did you just eyeball the dimensions? Did you draw it in AutoCAD? I'd like to do something similar in N Scale on a corner loop with no elevation change. Would definately be an eye catcher. Swwweeeeeeeeett!

2slim

Livesteam

Aug 26, 2004
Very nice, I love how it looks with the double stack wagon,How many of those cars do you have agian?