My Z-Scale SD45

SmolderZ

Good comparison, the SD40-2 looks very big doesn't it? :)

I never liked American railroads, I was planning to build a european track until I saw the program "Super Trains" at discovery, it went about the Canadian railroads and they showed some shots of the famous spiral tunnels, and the locomotives looked very very cool, I fell in love with American railroads :) (they don't make canadian Z-scale locomotives ;))

I didn't had a track (still don't, well I got a big plan and tons of rails ;)) but I dreamed about having one, and when I found out that AZL makes American Z-scale locomotives I jumped into Z scale, I think I made the right choice. I really liked them when I saw them in the pictures on the web, they look so small, so precise, the tinier the better imo :D

When I had that SD45 in my hands for the first time, wow, it feels so massive and solid, there isn't anything like it, and it runs sooo smooth, it's a jewel, and very very hard to resist :)

N scale is very good too, not as expensive as Z, and there is much available for it, if you got the space then you chose N, I like long realistic trains but I don't got much space, so Z was the best decision.

My wife knew better than to allow me to hold that SD45 when I saw it..
Being brass, I'll bet it weighs a bunch.
I like Z, but those TEENY rail joiners are a PAIN to install!!!

SmolderZ

I designed a spriral tunnel based on the Canadian Spiral Tunnels
spiraltunnel.JPG

The numbers are in millimeter, I still have to figure out if my locomotives could take the incline.

SD90

Wow, a spiral tunnel in less than 2 feet! You can sure do alot with a small amount of room in Zscale!
I would say that is about a 2.5 - 3% grade, I'm not sure how many cars a Z scale loco will pull, but I'm sure it will be fine.

Mike.

SmolderZ

My estimations also say it's a 2.5 - 3% grade. The heaviest cars I got are the husky double stack cars, 1 SD45 could take 10 of those up a 3% grade, more could be a problem, I'm going to run 28 double stack cars with 3 SD45's, it should be possible :)

MagicMan_841

my question is why are the two tracks on the right of the module so close together??? I understand they're going to be of different elevation...!

All this Z stuff looks good. I considered Z for a while but it was too expensive...

SmolderZ

They aren't going to be at a different elevation, they will come together again at the same hight and continui...but this is my first plan, I might let em continui at different hights and let em come together at a later point.

Letting them come together at a later point would be much much better don't you think? I will change the plans :)

SmolderZ

There are some new exciting releases in Z-Scale! :)

AZL's GS3 in Daylight.
gs3_daylight.jpg

AZL's GS3 in desckirted black.
gs3_freight.jpg

AZL's GS4 in Daylight. Southern Pacific lettering.
gs4_daylight_sp.jpg

AZL's GS4 in Daylight. Southern Pacific Lines lettering.
gs4_daylight_spl.jpg

AZL's GS4 in desckirted black.
gs4_freight.jpg

I would go for the GS3 in desckirted black, I'm only running freight trains and the GS3 looks a bit slicker then the GS4.

The price?...it's Z-Scale, it's brass, many details...

take a deep breath...

$1039 US dollars

I really got to think this over before I purchase one...

nscalesteve

Originally posted by SmolderZ
The price?...it's Z-Scale, it's brass, many details...
take a deep breath...

$1039 US dollars
...hey, that's cheap, five brass engines for only $1039.00 :eek: :eek:
(yes, I know, I know, for EACH steamer...)

CN1

Great layout plans and beautifull steam SmolderZ :thumb:

Are you going for Cab control or DCC? :confused:

Are Decoders available for Z scale, yet:confused:

More pics please:D :wave: :thumb: ;)

The GS-4 Daylight is the no-brainer. Get a set of pass cars, painted in Daylight livery, and run them thru Canada's best scenery! Doubleheaded?:thumb:

SmolderZ

hemiadda2d,

gs4_daylightpasscars.jpg

AZL's GS4 Daylight passenger set. Set comes with four passenger cars (two shown).

I don't like it that much, and I don't got a station on my layout, freight only :)

CN1, I'm going for DCC and yes decoders are available.

More pics, ok! :D

gs3_passcars_daylight.jpg

AZL's GS3 Daylight passenger set. Set comes with four passenger cars (two shown).

gs3_passcars_green.jpg

AZL's GS3 Daylight passenger set 'Challenger'. Californian version also available. Set comes with four passenger cars (two shown).

gs3_reefers.jpg

AZL's GS3 freight set. Set comes with seven Pennzee reefers. Three shown.

gs4_reefer.jpg

GS4 freight set. Set comes with seven Pennzee reefers. Three shown.

pray59

Hi Guys, I am also planning a Z layout. I want to rip the track off my N Scale modular layout and lay Z.

I want to do transition era NP layout, with Pacific's, Mikado's, and F7's to start. I made some decals for my MT ABA set for Lowey Green, and am stripping an NCL worth of Daylight cars for the train too. I got 4 domes that I want to find something to tint the inside of the dome glass green with.

Welcome aboard, Pray59!
When I built my GN Ocean View Great dome lounge:
acn.sized.jpg

I used Tamiya clear green acrylic paint. I airbrushed it on the underside of the dome glass casting, full-strength from the bottle--too opaque.
I then took a q-tip moistened lightly with 91% alky, and painstakingly wiped almost 3/4 of the color away, leaving a pleasing green tint.

SmolderZ

nice one hemiadda2d! :cool:

I've been working on my trackplan, cleaned it all up, tell me what you think! (2 modules, 300cm long, 80cm deep)
trackdesign5.JPG