Greater Raleigh Railroad has begun

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by screwysquirrel, Jul 22, 2003.

1. Xaniel

Xaniel Member

I got mine at a hardware store.
  2. Where to get foam

You can get it at Hardware stores, and from 'Home improvement' stores, such as Home Depot ands Lowe's. I don't know what the Dutch versions of those stores might be, though. the foam I'm using is the styrofoam insulation that comes in blue, pink, or neon-green
  3. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

Around here they use the "beaded" foam for stucco underlayment so the "extruded" stuff is hard to find. I had to call around to many lumber yards in the Phoenix area before I found someone that carried the stuff. I finally found one Lowe's store that had it. The rest of them, and all the Home Depots did not, they all had the beaded stuff.

Believe me, the quest was worth it.

4. SD90

SD90 Active Member

Looks like your layout is off to a good start! Keep up with the pictures!
  5. mav_uk

mav_uk Member

Thanks, I guess a shopping trip is on the horizon this weekend then.

Don, beaded and extruded - what should I be looking for?

Thanks again

6. foam types

You need to get Extruded foam. Beaded is too fragile
  7. mav_uk

mav_uk Member

Sorry again....

How do I tell thew diff?

8. How to tell the difference

well, 'beaded' styrofoam looks like the white stuff you see making up coolers, paper cups, cushioning in shipping boxes, and the like. Tends to make a squeeking noise badly affects people with sensitive hearing.

The Extruded foam is used as insulation in walls, and has a much finer 'grain' than the beaded stuff.

a couple pics

Here is the white, 'beaded' styrofoam

extruded styrofoam is the pink stuff you've seen all along in my layout. It can also come in blue and green

Its comes in 4' x 8' sheets, from 1/2" to 2" thick
  9. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

It is interesting to read about foam. I have never used anything other than the beaded foam. It comes in white and the size that fits into my car and is cheap. It cuts well with a sharp knife and there isn't a whole lot of cleanup to be done. I have never even considered using the extruded stuff. To each his own.

10. the Extruded is also easy to cut with a knife (I've been using 30-year old, worn out kitchen knives to cut mine)

However, as it doesn't flake as easily as the white foam, it makes a better base
  11. SD90

SD90 Active Member

I find it looks like a real rock cut when you carve it with a knife, paint it, and glue some sand on it, then paint it again.
  12. some more stuff

well, after some rearranging the train is at least operational, though some roadbed needs to dtill be placed!

Here it is against the wall now

Attached Files:

13. some more stuff

some roadbed down and a temporary bridge idea

Attached Files:

14. first train underway

the first train is underway

Attached Files:

15. more tran movement

more trains running

Attached Files:

16. one more

rounding the mountain curve!

Attached Files:

17. SD90

SD90 Active Member

It's fun when you finally get trains running on the layout! Good pictures, keep them coming! I like the Great Northern Switcher too!
  18. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

The layout is lookin' really nice, S.S.!
    :cool: :cool: :cool:
    Keep those pics coming!

19. Enjoy it while you can. I intend to eventually paint it in Seaboard Coast Line black
  20. A 'finalized' trackwork

heres a view of the industrial switching area and 'Bowl City'

Attached Files: