Greater Raleigh Railroad has begun

Jun 30, 2003
Raleigh, NC
Visit site
Where to get foam

You can get it at Hardware stores, and from 'Home improvement' stores, such as Home Depot ands Lowe's. I don't know what the Dutch versions of those stores might be, though. the foam I'm using is the styrofoam insulation that comes in blue, pink, or neon-green

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Around here they use the "beaded" foam for stucco underlayment so the "extruded" stuff is hard to find. I had to call around to many lumber yards in the Phoenix area before I found someone that carried the stuff. I finally found one Lowe's store that had it. The rest of them, and all the Home Depots did not, they all had the beaded stuff.

Believe me, the quest was worth it.

Don

Jun 30, 2003
Raleigh, NC
Visit site
How to tell the difference

well, 'beaded' styrofoam looks like the white stuff you see making up coolers, paper cups, cushioning in shipping boxes, and the like. Tends to make a squeeking noise badly affects people with sensitive hearing.

The Extruded foam is used as insulation in walls, and has a much finer 'grain' than the beaded stuff.

a couple pics

Here is the white, 'beaded' styrofoam

rumblebelly%20-%20styrofoam%20balls.jpg

extruded styrofoam is the pink stuff you've seen all along in my layout. It can also come in blue and green

Its comes in 4' x 8' sheets, from 1/2" to 2" thick

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
It is interesting to read about foam. I have never used anything other than the beaded foam. It comes in white and the size that fits into my car and is cheap. It cuts well with a sharp knife and there isn't a whole lot of cleanup to be done. I have never even considered using the extruded stuff. To each his own.

Jun 30, 2003
Raleigh, NC
Visit site
Originally posted by Matthyro
It is interesting to read about foam. I have never used anything other than the beaded foam. It comes in white and the size that fits into my car and is cheap. It cuts well with a sharp knife and there isn't a whole lot of cleanup to be done. I have never even considered using the extruded stuff. To each his own.

the Extruded is also easy to cut with a knife (I've been using 30-year old, worn out kitchen knives to cut mine)

However, as it doesn't flake as easily as the white foam, it makes a better base

Jun 30, 2003
Raleigh, NC
Visit site
some more stuff

well, after some rearranging the train is at least operational, though some roadbed needs to dtill be placed!

Here it is against the wall now

Attachments

• img 005.jpg
    img 005.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 179

SD90

May 23, 2003
Canada
Visit site
It's fun when you finally get trains running on the layout! Good pictures, keep them coming! I like the Great Northern Switcher too!