Union Pacific BIG BOY 4-8-8-4 1/25 Scale (Engine)

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by kooklik, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Specter84

Specter84 New Member

Which scale?

Kooklik, I've been lurking since the beginning of your tender thread. Since the quality of your work left me speechless, I decided not to post an empty message. :mrgreen:

There is 1 thing I was wondering about : the tender thread says that this model will be 1/48 scale, and this thread says 1/25. Which will it be? Or offered in multiple scales?

I just need to know how large to build the extra room on the back of my house! :twisted:

2. hmas

hmas Member

Yes in multiple scales the tender is in 1/48, the body of the loco will be in 1/25, & the wheels valve gear will be in 1/32.:thumb:
    This was designed to allow the G scale, proper mainline people 1/32 scale & the 1/48 scale people to have a bigboy loco, that appeals to all!
    G scale will have it on 45mm track (narrow) at I guess 3'6" gauge
    1/32 people will be set on 45mm as standard gauge 4' 8.5"
    1/48 people will be able to use it as a 16" gauge feeder line sign1
    Good thing it's not the first of April, otherwise no-one would believe me!:eek:

Now if you want to motorise it, 10' radius curves may be needed, so a 30'x 30' shed might be in order
    Hi kooklik I'm back again
  3. kooklik

kooklik Member

Hello Tony
    So glad to see back again here. I was so busy with the work in recently. So I don't have much progress to report now. Anyway I'm still working on the left side of the side rods and cylinder shafts. It will be soon completed. I'll have some pictures to show here.
  4. kooklik

kooklik Member

Hello Specter
    The scale is 1/25 for both Tender and Engine :)

At first I intended to design in 1/48 and started the tender thread's name in 1/48. Before unrolling to 2D , by the vote results in some forums , 1/25 won. So I changed to be 1/25. Unfortunately the thread's name cannot be changed.
    And thanks for a lot of your kind words. Hope you enjoy looking the growing of the engine too. It goes slowly in recently,but never stops.

5. Elliott

Elliott Senior Member

Someone beat me to it...the thread title now reads 1/25 for the scale.

@Tony (HMAS) good to see you here again! Thanks for your explanatory post. It made sense, to me anyhow......:cool:
  6. Specter84

Specter84 New Member

:rolleyes: Oh brother. I've found a bigger smart-aleck than myself. Thanks for the laugh, it's been a rough week, I needed one.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but this should be the finished size? :eek:
    Locomotive Length : 40.9 in   (104.0 cm)
    Overall Length    : 63.7 in   (161.9 cm)
    Width             :  5.3 in    (13.6 cm)
    Height            :  7.8 in    (19.8 cm)
  7. kooklik

kooklik Member

Hi Specter
    The model size in 1/25 scale is
    Overall length: 162.2 cm (63.8 in)
    Engine Length: 107.9 cm (42.5 in)
    Tender Length: 57.6 cm (22.7 in)
    Width: 14.3 cm (5.6 in)
    Height: 19.8 cm (7.8 in)
  8. kooklik

kooklik Member

Hi there
    I finished right side rods today. Next part will be the grease tank. It's small and contained with many fine parts.
  9. 4x4paper

4x4paper Member

That looks very goooood:mrgreen:
  10. Elliott

Elliott Senior Member

Amazing Kooklik! Just amazing!! Your work seems to be the epitome of perfection. It certainly sets the example for us to strive toward.
  11. kooklik

kooklik Member

Thank you Elliott.
  12. kooklik

kooklik Member

Hi there
    Thanks for your following my thread. I'm back again after leaving my home for the 3 weeks business trip. I completed the grease box before leaving home. But I didn't take any photos. The one of hard job of this section is 14 grease pipes. They were made by 0.5 mm wire (copper wire from telephone cable or CAT5 cable). They are so thin and easy to be broken if I do careless holding. But after finished painting I feel it's worth to spend a lot of my time on it.
  13. mysteroid

mysteroid Member

Mind bogglingly awesome!

14. kooklik

kooklik Member

Hi there

I have more update report to share. The grease box is one of fine and complicate part. I display how to build in step by step.

15. kooklik

kooklik Member

grease box ( continue )

16. kooklik

kooklik Member

Next job is engine truck. I started from its wheels. The wheels are 36" size which is the smallest wheel of Big Boy.

17. Coot59

Coot59 Member

Asume!!!!!!!!!! :thumb:
  18. 4x4paper

4x4paper Member

nice very nice
  19. wacek80

wacek80 New Member

AMAZING! I can`t achieve so good results in plastic and for you is no problem in paper....I must work on my skill...
  20. Peter Epps

Peter Epps New Member

I love this model. It just keeps getting more and more insane. I can't wait to see more.