UHU02's Valley Forge

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by OhioMike, Oct 22, 2007.

1. OhioMike

OhioMike Member

Whats the chance that someone here has been working on or came across a model of the Valley Forge from the movie "Silent Running"? You know, the huey, duey, and luey movie! Thanks in advance.
  2. paperbeam

paperbeam Member

3. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

On my to do...

I have a mesh that I found (although I can't remember where at the moment) and am planning on doing it in the future, but it's still quite a ways away (as in a year or more).

4. Dyna-Soar

Dyna-Soar Member

The Valley is also Agro ship on BSG TOS
  5. greenelf1967

greenelf1967 Member

I've got the models of huey, luey and duey but no valley forge
  6. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

That's my warm up.

We have that one in the BSG fleet pack we're unfolding (me, skupilkinson, and nothing). It's not exactly like the valley forge, but obviously inspired by it. We'll be doing the agro, and I'm considering that part of my practice for the forge.

7. Master-Bruce

Master-Bruce Active Member

I've seen a great mesh of the Valley Forge at Lightwave Group 3D I considered using it for a papermodel but it seems a bit too high poly. That frame work that makes up most of the ship would be tricky as it would be small fiddly work. It is possible as we've seen similar frame work on the Space 1999 Eagle.

Good luck with designing a model of that.
  8. OhioMike

OhioMike Member

I would be very interested in a valley forge along the lines of what you folks have been working on with BSG. I'm also interested in the olympic carrier model and look forward to that being completed. As far as the Valley forge goes, at this point haveing more experience in styrene card and tubeing i have initiated a project in that medium, of course of no interest here but it gets me there. If exceptable, i'll post something once im further along. Good luck to you computer brainiacs and the valley forge 3d work, i look forward to seeing your success there. Thanks again.
  9. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

Pat York was working on this a couple of years ago. No word from him on it (or anything else) since then, though...

Scott K.

Attached Files:

10. Nexus9

Nexus9 Member

Wow, that's fantastic! Silent Running is one of my favourite movies. That's a beautiful model.
  11. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

Too bad

Too bad he's dissappeared. Looks like it was darn near complete, and a darn fine job too.

12. Odysseus

Odysseus New Member

While an impressive model to be sure, the model is inaccurate.
  13. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

The too tall domes was one area he knew needed work, and did post pictures of the corrected ones. As for the framework being too wide, I don't know. However, it's entirely possible that he never finished the model (at least to the greedy masses, anyway) due to comments like that.

(Gets on sopabox)
    As a note to all; if you have a problem with a design, it's better to ask a designer about a detail you have a problem with, rather than just say "it's inaccurate". It's possible they didn't know, or have incorrect references. Remember some of us can be rather sensitive about our designs. While the lack of any commentary at all can be bad enough, negative comments are even worse. OK, I'm done.
    (Gets off soapbox)

Scott K.
    (Back to lurking and sucking up freebies. Thanx BSG Team, Paragon, et al.)
  14. doc_harvey

doc_harvey Member

Amen! Sometimes, a little accuracy needs to be sacrificed in order to have a model that is "buildable"...
  15. greenelf1967

greenelf1967 Member

I found this picture of the valley forge and have also found a model of the valley forge (lwo)

16. jparenti

jparenti Member

I don't think the minor details are reason to complain about a model. Surfduke has a wonderful Apollo model series, with full interior available for the capsule even. But it wasn't perfect when he began. The community effort of trial building and suggestion made it very detailed, and highly accurate. I wish the builder of the Valley Forge model was on this site, so we could ask him about it and offer help to get it into a release version. It looks like a lot of work, but I'd love to have it anyway.
    Those blueprints are great. Are there more views available?
  17. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Agreed... cracking on the "accuracy" of a model can be a tough blow.

Especially with advanced models, you have to sacrifice that nit-picky fanboi tendency to get the last rivet on the deck plate right in order to make a buildable model.

Designing is tougher than it looks, and what looks good on the mesh doesn't mean it's going to turn out well on paper! :mrgreen:

ARMORMAN Guest

I concur. I have had the mispleasure of dealing with fanboys from time to time. My favorite was from one who said he would not buy my B-5 Thunderbolt unless it had the bald eagle pattern on it.:rolleyes:
  19. OhioMike

OhioMike Member

Never cared to much for rivet counters!
  20. 57townsman

57townsman Member

Well, just keep in mind they know everything about everything because they have no real lives. Just picture them as "Comic book guy" on the Simpsons.

Worst model...EVER!:mrgreen: