progress on my layout

gottaBreal

Sep 13, 2006
Great White North
Ya thats what im thinking to for this guy. Give me the Full dementions of your room and Let me see what I can do. First thing tho you need to do is tell us what your looking at building and modeling. Do you not have alot of stuff all ready to go on your layout or was that someone else?

gottaBreal

Sep 13, 2006
Great White North
viperman said:
GEC, when I last referred to Rancocas, that is the name of the trackplan. Not the town in NJ (which I just learned exists).The table is the 8x8, its in the basement at my parents' house which is very cluttered, so this is about all the room I have. I do have another 2 sections of wood about 2x2 each that could be added on if needed, but not on the right side, as there is a fridge and a freezer there. The room I have to work with is somewhat cramped.

Ok take some pictures....and take out the Measureing Tape and hook me up dude.

Can you build some storage units to clear up some space.? I find that always goes hand in hand with this hobby.

You seem to wanna just run trains as fast as you can. Let me tell ya that making sure you are building the railroad you want is MEGA important.

jbaakko

Jun 25, 2006
San Diego, CA
rr.blockchoice.com
viperman said:
I don't trust myself to get the right thickness, and afraid I would screw it up somehow
For the caulk? If so its not hard, just squeeze some down, spread it evenly with a putty knife (Home Depot has cheep plastic ones, under $1 a peice), then lay the track on, put a couple of books or something on it to press it down, and let dry.

viperman

Mar 13, 2006
Carol Stream, IL
It will be hard for me to get some more room from my parents to work with. May be able to happen though. The room this is in, is a full size unfinished basement. So if I do get more room to work with, I would have to move all sorts of stuff around, and I don't think my parents would go for that. I'm actually happy enough right now with the space I have, as I do like the Rancocas trackplan, which would fit on what I already have. But for now, assume the diagram I posted is all I have to work with

L

lester perry

For road bed I use the foam used under walls in construction. It is available at any building supply and is cheap. A 50 foot by 6 inch roll would be less than $10. I stapled it down to board than laid track on top of it using small nails. After track is where I want it and I am satisfied with performance I use a razor knife and cut away the excess which usually can be used elsewhere. I mean it is 6 inches wide. On double track I cut out the middle also. It has to be cut back to edge of ties at a minimum any sticking out will show up when ballasted.
100_1210.jpg

Les

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
viperman said:
GEC, when I last referred to Rancocas, that is the name of the trackplan. Not the town in NJ (which I just learned exists).The table is the 8x8, its in the basement at my parents' house which is very cluttered, so this is about all the room I have. I do have another 2 sections of wood about 2x2 each that could be added on if needed, but not on the right side, as there is a fridge and a freezer there. The room I have to work with is somewhat cramped.

well hey, then maybe it would be a cool idea to try the tracks that run near rancocas. I live near them. they are CSAO tracks often operated by the NS, but you can make a Burlington Northernized version. just have staging, then a track that goes all the way to a run around, then turn back, switch the industries, and head back to staging. its brilliant.

ocalicreek

May 4, 2005
Puyallup, WA
groups.yahoo.com
Viperman, I am here. (just imagine the mighty mouse theme song...haha) I have been skimming over the thread, and will try to get a sketch underway soon...no promises. I need to find this Rancocas plan you keep mentioning...is there a link which I missed?

Galen

ocalicreek

May 4, 2005
Puyallup, WA
groups.yahoo.com
Okay...I'm thinking of a plan that I sketched a while back on vacation as an exercise in 4x8 limitations...it's modern, and set in an urban industrial setting. SO, 4 axle diesel power would look right at home along with 50' cars...if I modify it to include the extra space you have it might just work...

Galen

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
here is a quick layout plan i came up with. its a point to point railroad based on the tracks that run by my house. the blue line is a scenic divider, while the black line is the edge of the layout along the aisle

pitmarkeddz5.png

viperman

Mar 13, 2006
Carol Stream, IL
gottaBreal said:
I offered to try my hand at it as well...however he hasnt given me the room size as of yet.

I hate 4x8 layouts
Did you miss the following post?

viperman said:
It will be hard for me to get some more room from my parents to work with. May be able to happen though. The room this is in, is a full size unfinished basement. So if I do get more room to work with, I would have to move all sorts of stuff around, and I don't think my parents would go for that. I'm actually happy enough right now with the space I have, as I do like the Rancocas trackplan, which would fit on what I already have. But for now, assume the diagram I posted is all I have to work with

viperman

Mar 13, 2006
Carol Stream, IL
GEC, that is a cool plan, I'm just not into point to point. Is there a way to add a duck-under bridge at the far bottom, and maybe have the train run through the yard again?

viperman

Mar 13, 2006
Carol Stream, IL
ocalicreek said:
Viperman, I am here. (just imagine the mighty mouse theme song...haha) I have been skimming over the thread, and will try to get a sketch underway soon...no promises. I need to find this Rancocas plan you keep mentioning...is there a link which I missed?

Galen
Galen, Steve (Nazgul) posted the pic on page 8 of this thread. I would post it here again, but I can't seem to get it to work for me now

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
viperman said:
GEC, that is a cool plan, I'm just not into point to point. Is there a way to add a duck-under bridge at the far bottom, and maybe have the train run through the yard again?

sure, why not. might want to make a swing bridge though instead.

viperman

Mar 13, 2006
Carol Stream, IL
green_elite_cab said:
sure, why not. might want to make a swing bridge though instead.
Swing, lift, duck, it all works for me. I am VERY graceful :rolleyes: , just ask the fiance how many pictures I've knocked off the walls when walking down the hall (I'm the only one who has). Mind drawing something up for that?

I actually have a bridge, that when fully assembled, is 4' long, in ho scale. It has I think 4 support legs. It'd be fun to put that one in somewhere, but have no idea where it would even fit on this layout. - DO NOT feel the need to plan that big a bridge in there

gottaBreal

Sep 13, 2006
Great White North
viperman said:
Did you miss the following post?

Ya I must have bro....As for making the basement more useable for your parents that seems very odd to me. Get all your stuff togather and organize your stuff to clear up some room. Make a layout that you can enjoy for more than 4 mins of your life. I built a 4x8 when i was 9 years old, and I got tired of it within weeks....thats when I started to learn bout track PLANNING. See sir its just that TRACK PLANNING not track laying.

not trying to be an prick here buddy just trying to help u not build something you dont really think over. Atlas track plans are for complete NOOBS you sir dont seem to be one.

viperman

Mar 13, 2006
Carol Stream, IL
Been interested in the hobby my whole life, seriously. This will be the first layout I build, not, someone else's that I modify. In a way I am a noob, but then again not. I won't be able to do any tinkering with the basement until Sat night at the earliest. I'll try and see what I can do about making some more room for the layout, but like I've said, it really is up to them

gottaBreal

Sep 13, 2006
Great White North
Sure thing dude....But look at it this way. You invest some money into building some storage area to get things off the ground and stacked up. Do a Major clean up of the whole basement take things that are Junk to your local Thift shop and doing something nice for people in need. Once you have done a major clean up of the layout area you will feel good about that and Have a bigger area to build in.

Dont ask for any help from your parents just make sure they dont mind you getting things in order in the basement. If this is gonna be a perm setup for the next while why not throw up some 2x4's and drywall the corner your gonna build in.

Once you have your area let me have a hand at a track plan for ya. We shall help you make this right sir. in the mean time why not build some models and detail some locos that you have sitting around. Also weathering your rolling stock can also take up some time and let u think about what you would like to model.

My 2 cents