Outland Shuttle Build

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Hot4Darmat, Feb 25, 2008.

1. DaDragon

DaDragon New Member

Hi Hot4Darmat,

Sorry, but lost the plot (and the thread) a little for the past couple of months; s#!t happens . . .and it certainly did!!! Things are better now, in fact the little lady (she's 5 feet and I'm 6 feet 1 sign1) and I have come out slightly ahead . . .for the moment anyway!

Sorry to hear about your "child-related destruction incident"! Been there, done that far too many times :cry: and can assure you that 7' would not have been high enough by a long shot!!! The recovery however has been nothing short of magnificent :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: and the shuttle is looking just awesome!

Sorry to be blunt, but that's just plain (and smelly) BS:
    1. It doesn't matter as long as looks the part and you've no worries whatsoever there!
    2. The studio model was built like a tank and used a ton of plastic models for detailing: card wouldn't take the weight! If people want to superdetail, let them. I don't feel the need from what I've seen, neither will the vast majority of builders 'cos its bl**$y marvelous as is!
    3. You're too close to be objective. I didn't build anything for over 10 years because I thought I "lacked the skills, artistry and patience" to meet my own overinflated standards wall1 (and they were vastly overinflated . . .a little like me)!! I ran out of room as well, but that's beside the point!!!
    Your skills, artistry and patience are evidenced in your work and as you've obviously impressed modelmaking legend Martin Bower no less, all three traits are clearly present in spades!!!
    Now get back to work so we can all enjoy sign1 !!!

By the way, thanks for the heads-up on Gearz' Nostromo thread: very interesting!

As always, best wishes,

2. dhanners

dhanners Member

DaDragon makes some very good points. Oftentimes, modeling is about capturing the look and/or the feel of a vehicle, and you have done that -- and more --with this design and build. Only the most anal of rivet-counters will get on your case about the alleged "discrepancies." To my eye, there are none. You've designed and built a model of the shuttle from Outland. Simple as that....

And yes, you're too close to the thing to judge the quality of the work you've done. That's not a dis. We're all too close to our models. I can pull out any model I've ever built and point out some flaw or imperfection. They may be things that are small or insignificant when someone else views it, but to the person who built it, they are bigdamndeals, as we used to say in Texas. Sometimes it's just good to see our models the way others see them.

Rest comfortably in the knowledge that despite what you think about the model, the rest of us are very impressed with what you've done.
  3. Hot4Darmat

Hot4Darmat Member

Thanks Graham and dhanners for the comments. Yes, I see all the flaws, and this model isn't what I'd hoped it would be. But in the end its all good, and I learned a ton doing it, and yes, even had fun. It is a unique subject, and maybe I did bite off abit more than I could chew with this one, but I still like the end result just fine. I have to remind myself that this is the test build. I appreciate you calling BS on my self-deprecating wallow. I'll keep cleaning the layout, and page setups, and tweak those instructions.

Thanks again for seeing the good in her, for ugly tho' she be, she's not a bad vessel after all.
  4. Hot4Darmat

Hot4Darmat Member

Hey folks. Time for me to apologize (again) for the delay in getting this *almost finished* model out the end of the production pipe. I have been busier than I like in RL, with family, business, moving, etc. But I want to assure you this project is not dead yet and I'm really hoping to complete and release it before the end of this calendar year (might be a holiday project for me). I have other projects I'd like to focus on.

Here is some of the reason for the delay. I got sidetracked making halloween costumes from cardboard for my kids. this is also a form of paper modeling, and my small scale paper modeling skills really came in handy when it came to making these suits up. Enjoy.

5. theo

theo Member

I have bin looking from time to time at the progress on your shuttle.
    And I'm happy to hear that it's not dead.

But this video......Hahaa.

Great :thumb: I enjoyed watching that!!
    Kids that is what keeps building time low, but also keeping the fun to live!
  6. Bubbahearth

Bubbahearth New Member

I grew up with that generation of movies, before CGI took over. I have to say, some paper models I've seen (even with flat surfaces with printed-on textures) look more realistic than a lot of the CGI crap now. Funny how something made out of paper can have so much visual weight to it.
  7. Hot4Darmat

Hot4Darmat Member

You should check out the movie "Moon" if you haven't already. Written and directed by Duncan Jones (David Bowie's son) its a good sci fi yarn, but the best is that he went back to old school special effects, using almost all models and sets, and a minimum of CGI. It was very well done, and I loved it for that alone.
  8. Hot4Darmat

Hot4Darmat Member

btw. The Outland Shuttle paper model is back on the build table, and will be finished soon. I'll post final build photos here and announce when its ready for download.

(shakes the dust and cobwebs off himself) "Huh?!?"
  10. mysteroid

mysteroid Member

Right on! :thumb:
  11. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

MOON was an awesome flick. I highly recommend it.

And balloon6
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2014
  12. luvecraft

luvecraft New Member

Dear Sir , got to this thread from a lead from another thread about SF3D models.
    Gosh ! this is an awesome model, great job!
  13. Elliott

Elliott Senior Member

That's good news! :cool:
  14. Patron_zero

Patron_zero Member

The shuttle is one of the greatly overlooked gems of 'classic' science fiction film designs, ugly as a stump but so charming in just that aspect.
  15. budding author

budding author New Member

awe inspiring work

superb work it must take a genius in math to calculat all thos angles
    thanks for sharing. is this something you might offer I have always wanted to build that behemoth and a card model would be a gread way of doing an initial mock up for the real deal

thanks again for sharing.:thumb:
  16. Hot4Darmat

Hot4Darmat Member

Just a quick update to let those (extremely patient) folks who expressed interest in this model that the model pages are done, and the instructions are currently being worked on/polished. Hopefully not too much longer...

Thank you for your remarkable patience.

It liiiives!!!!!!
  18. Zathros

Zathros Guest

Geez, Louise, that is some model. I'd love to see some more pics of that. The last couple of pages have nothing. ;)
  19. vbsargent

vbsargent Member

Ah yes . . . Outland. I remember seeing it in the theater when it came out. Loved the movie, loved the designs. Everything was so utilitarian. Not built to look "cool" or sleek or "wicked" - just functional.

You've done a great job on the shuttle. I wouldn't mind getting a copy of this one too. And great costumes on those kids! Very clever solution for the legs. Did you build both shown in the video?
  20. F131

F131 Member

Oh my......now that's an amazing model! I remember seeing this movie in the theater when I was in 10th(?) grade. Sean at his badass best.