Engine Pics & Train Stuff...

Status
Not open for further replies.

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
F9...UP Style!!!

THE STORY...
i am a huge E unit fan, but for some odd reason i wasn't that big a fan of F units, don't get me wrong, i like F units just never had the urge to get one. THEN, i came across the first pic below, WOW!:eek: LOOK AT THAT PLOW!:D i seen the plow on that F unit, and thought it was slap AWESOME:D. so i figured if i could find one of those plows, i would get an F unit to go with ittooth1. i checked Walther's, and sure as heck, THEY HAD THEM! the plow is made by Metal Miniatures.

THE ENGINE...
i soon found that finding UP F units was quite hard, but did come across Stewart Models F units:thumb:. never had any Stewart Models, so i thought i would give them a try. FOLKS, i have models from Bachmann to Tower55, and i would place the Stewart models in between Athearn BB and Athearn RTR. The shells were like Athern BB, except the had the glazing. the motors and frames were like the Athearn RTR's. the powered unit is HEAVY, and seems to run well on DCC, i use DCC so i am not sure how they run on DC. i thought the number boards were real nice, and the motor was DCC ready, that made installing the MRC Brillance sound decoder real easy:thumb:.

WHAT I HAVE DONE...
FIRST, i would like to confess i am really only 98% finished with this project. i am waiting for the roof and cab front grabs to come in. i also have to weather the plow, the paint is to wet to weather it till tomorrow, just was so exited about this particular project, i couldn't wait to post ittooth1. announce1 OK, i installed an MRC Brillance sound decoder in it, i have done some paint work to the engine, put a MULTITUDE of decals on it, installed sunshades, rear view mirrors, all weather roof cover, and THE PLOW. announce1 THE PLOW, what a pain that turned out to be. the plow comes stripped, NO SKIRTING:mad:, that would be fine if i was modeling Rock Island:rolleyes:, but UP put skirting on their F unit plows, so it was up to me to make the skirting for it. i couldn't replicate the skirting exactly like UP's(look at the proto pic), but i came as close as i could. it took about three hours to do the plow. i took pics of how i did it with styrene if anyone is interested in how to put skirting on F unit Plows;). announce1 Honestly, no one i have showed the proto pic to liked the plow:eek:ops:, so if its not up your alley...sorry:eek:ops:...but i LIKED IT!tooth1 THANKS!:D -Deano View attachment 32541 View attachment 32542 View attachment 32543 View attachment 32544 View attachment 32545

Attachments

• nplow1.JPG
    nplow1.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 104
  • nplow2.JPG
    nplow2.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 105
  • nplow3.JPG
    nplow3.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 103
  • nplow4.JPG
    nplow4.JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 119
  • nplow5.JPG
    nplow5.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 154

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
Deano
That plow (great job making the skirting) looks better on your model than it does in the prototype pic.:thumb: It will look even better when it gets weathered!:thumb: :thumb:
Also...your detailing is excellent as usual:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

AFT4449

Oct 5, 2006
South Central Wisconsin
That plow is in the junk shack at Janesville. They salvaged it in Chicago and it was part of a shipment of other special 'parts' that reside there. It is pretty cool to see in person. Iwas there about three weeks ago. Never knew what it came off from.-Dianne

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
That plow sure changes the look of that F unit...!!! Great job & the detailing sure brings that engine from mediocre to superb..!!! Keep 'em coming..!!!sign1

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Thank You!

WOW!!:eek: THANK YOU so much folks!:D i cant believe all the great feedback you folks have gave on the F9 w/plow:D. again, THANKS!:D

to be honest with you folks, i wasn't going to post to this thread till this weekend, i am/have been HEAVY into a project for a good friend of mine, and hope to have it done by the end of this weekend:thumb:. but after seeing all the great comments you all have wrote, i felt i had to make this "THANK YOU!" post. after i finish my buddy's project, I'll be back on MY list of 5,000 projects:rolleyes: i have going on, trying to knock 'em out one at a time;). here are a couple pics i took Monday night. THANKS!:D -Deano View attachment 32621 View attachment 32622 View attachment 32623 View attachment 32624 View attachment 32625

Attachments

• o1.JPG
    o1.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 120
  • o2.JPG
    o2.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 113
  • o3.JPG
    o3.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 116
  • o4.JPG
    o4.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 119
  • o5.JPG
    o5.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 118

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Rancho Santa Margarita, Cali.
WOW, that plow looks even better when you weathered it Deano.:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

I still can't get over how cool your engines look just with the lower half weathered.:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Chessie6459

Gauge Oldtimer
UP SD40-2 said:
WOW!!:eek: THANK YOU so much folks!:D i cant believe all the great feedback you folks have gave on the F9 w/plow:D. again, THANKS!:D

to be honest with you folks, i wasn't going to post to this thread till this weekend, i am/have been HEAVY into a project for a good friend of mine, and hope to have it done by the end of this weekend:thumb:. but after seeing all the great comments you all have wrote, i felt i had to make this "THANK YOU!" post. after i finish my buddy's project, I'll be back on MY list of 5,000 projects:rolleyes: i have going on, trying to knock 'em out one at a time;). here are a couple pics i took Monday night. THANKS!:D -Deano View attachment 32621 View attachment 32622 View attachment 32623 View attachment 32624 View attachment 32625

Glad you posted the pictures now. Even more great pictures.:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
When Friends Work comes together...

Hey Folks!:D been a while since my last post on this thread. been REAL BUSY with real life, and some projects for a GOOD FRIEND OF MINE(HI Steve!:wave:). through this forum, Nazgul(Steve) and i have become good friends:D and Steve graciously had offered to do a piece for my new diorama. i couldn't just accept something like that, so i in turn done a couple projects for him, kind of a trade off for each others work:thumb:.

ANYWAYS, the piece Steve done for me is SLAP FANTASTIC!!!:thumb: it fits on one side of the diorama, and can EASILY be put on & taken off it:thumb:. his work is nothing short of STUPENDOUS, and i think it really adds to my engines and cars;). i have took some pics of some of my engines in front of the FANTASTIC WORK Steve has done:D. i am posting ten pics to give you folks a taste of it. announce1 i hate to sound like a broken record, but my pics are 2megs big, and with the reduction it takes to get them down to less then 65kb to post 'em on here, the quality reduction is so great it DOES NOT show all the fine details that was put into this AWESOME piece:cry:. STILL, i hope you folks enjoy the the pics.

THANKS!(and thank you Steve:thumb:):D -Deano View attachment 32980 View attachment 32981 View attachment 32982 View attachment 32983 View attachment 32984

Attachments

• q1.JPG
    q1.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 77
  • q2.JPG
    q2.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 77
  • q3.JPG
    q3.JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 76
  • q4.JPG
    q4.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 79
  • q5.JPG
    q5.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 75

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Nice work, Dean and Steve. Looks like we've got a new modelling team on board!:thumb: I particularily like the waterfall, Steve, and that fact that the whole works lifts on or off easily certainly fits in with Dean's plans for making the diorama easy to modify.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.