Engine Pics & Train Stuff...

Status
Not open for further replies.

viperman

Mar 13, 2006
Carol Stream, IL
Thanks for that brief history leson there Deano! For Christmas, care to donate one of those lovely SD40-2s to a good cause (my layout)? hehe Eventually I'll get myself a couple. I'm just torn between BN, UP, and CNW.

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
Deano
As far as the Aerotrain goes...This is one of the few times that the model looks better than the reality. I love the way it looks kind of "retro-futuristic" (if you know what I mean)
I too really enjoy the history that you share:thumb: Keep it up!

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
steamhead said:
Deano,

Great pics, as always...!!! Was that Aerotrain the only one made??? Who made the model???
Steven, THANKS!!!:D sorry man, i don't think even if i were dead, ANYONE could pull my SD40-2's out of my hands:eek:;)sign1 . UP, or BN are GREAT choices for roads to model, they give you the chance to get engines from other roads too;) . few people talk about it but, BN(and PC) took over MANY roads also, yet everybody seems to pick on UP:confused: . Guess thats the price you pay for being the LARGEST/MOST SUCCESSFUL American RR:thumb:.

Steve, THANK YOU!!!:D i think the REAL Aerotrain was quite AWESOME!;) and THANK YOU for the comment on "history":D. i love to share ANY info that i know:thumb:.

Josh, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!:D theres just something about SD40-2's...Ahhhh, FINE engines:thumb:.

Gus, you are to kind, THANK YOU!:D to answer your questions:
1. EMD made 2 Aerotrains:thumb:, one went to UP, the other to Rock Island. they were 11 car trains. after Rock Island bought the one UP had, they had EMD make a third engine, for backup;). so there was a total of 2 complete trains, and one extra engine.
2. the models of them were originally made by Varney, Bowser bought them out and continues to make the shells:thumb:. you get ONLY THE SHELLS from them, its up to YOU to make them work;). it was quite a task to get the Aerotrain to be runnable. i had a Bachmann FM H16-44 that had a bad truck on it, BRAND NEW:rolleyes: , i used the good truck and motor to make the Aerotrain run, so its only powered by one truck. i bought wheel sets and glued them in so just one wheel is being used on the rear of the engine, and in all of the cars. i also had to glue false floors in them all, and add weights. one good thing though, there was PLENTY of room in the engine for a sound decoder and speakers:thumb:.

THANKS!:D -Deano View attachment 32250

Attachments

• LV ADD.JPG
    LV ADD.JPG
    18.8 KB · Views: 119

viperman

Mar 13, 2006
Carol Stream, IL
I don't know any of BN's history, so I did not know they had bought anyone else out. The only buyouts I knew of are UP.

Sounds like that Aerotrain was a pain in the butt to get running, but I'm sure it was well worth it, now wasn't it?

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006

Attachments

• RBB1.JPG
    RBB1.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 99
  • RBB2.JPG
    RBB2.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 95
  • RBB3.JPG
    RBB3.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 106
  • RBB4.JPG
    RBB4.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 92
  • RBB5.JPG
    RBB5.JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 85

cnw1961

Jan 7, 2006
Germany
Deano, I love this series of pics. The way the cars go by on the road makes it come alive :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: . I only miss a pic that shows a truck completely blocking the view on the train to make it real life :D . ( Or do you have such pics and only don’t show us your railfanning pics that went wrong? sign1 )

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
The way the cars go by on the road makes it come alive
I was thinking the same thing.....Excellent work Deano!!!:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
Your engines and cars (rr and autos) look sweet!:thumb: and I'm glad to se you got some couplers on that SP cyl hopper;)
Keep em' coming!

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Rancho Santa Margarita, Cali.
Cool to see another roll-by on the Rock Valley Sub:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

These pics were great and as everyone already said, the traffic affect is AWSOME. It was like I could hear the train rolling by and the cars and trucks on the road zooming bysign1

Very impressive and I can't wait for anotherbounce7 bounce7

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Thank You!!!

THANK YOU!!, folks, for the VERY KIND feedback!!!:D i REALLY enjoy coming up with new scenes to put my engines(and some times my freight cars;))in:thumb:. again, THANK YOU!:D

:D NEW ENGINES!!!:D thats right folks, i just got my first Stewart engines, an F9A & B unit. heres a preview pic of them "right out of the box". perhaps some of you might want to tie your shoes tight;), because this one might knock your socks off!tooth1 NEXT POST...in just a bit:thumb:. :D -Deano View attachment 32536

Attachments

• preveiw.JPG
    preveiw.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 106
Status
Not open for further replies.