Come on back to the caboose and get a cup of coffee [or sweet ice tea] - Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffrey-wimberl

Oct 25, 2006
Sundown, Louisiana, USA
Good morning.

Partly cloudy and 81 here at the moment. Anybody who knows anything about Louisiana weather knows that can change in 5 minutes. Today's high is expected to be around 90 and there's a chance of thunderstorms this afternoon. What else is new?

I had a good time last night watching an old Disney movie from the 70's called 'No Deposit, No Return'. It was nice to have a good laugh from a show that wasn't crowded with CG special effects like most of the trash that's cranked out these days.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 6/25/2008

Heat Index: 77°F
Humidity: 92%
Dew Point: 69°F

So Far Today
High: 73°F
Low: 71°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 3mph SE

Today High: 90 Mostly sunny with a 50 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Highs around 90. Light and variable winds.

Tonight Low: 72 Mostly cloudy. A 50 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms in the evening. Lows in the lower 70s. Light and variable winds.

P1010004-39.jpg

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Good afternoon folks

We made it back from vacation and I am finally having some time to sit in front of the computer. This one was and up and down vacation with some highs and lows. It started when we arrived at our hotel in Bangor. They gave us a smoking room. We reserved a non smoking room. The desk person fought with us over changing it. She was one of the rudest people I have ever come across. She gave us another room when she saw us packing up. Also the pool which we were told was indoor and heated. It was neither. It was outside with a fence around it that the gates were padlocked. It was not heated. We stayed at the hotel one night only because we had to since it was too late to cancel. We stayed the rest of our time in Bangor across the street at the Econo Lodge.

Our whale watching and puffin trip was one of the low points. My wife, my daughter, and I all got seasick. For me this was the first time I ever got seasick and I have done ferries, cruises, rowboats, motor boats, and dolphin watch cruises, snorkeling. The sea did not seem rough but there was just something about the way the ship rocked that was not good. Coming back to port, the galley was filled with seasick people. The only comforting thought was many were in worse shape than us. We only saw two whales and not much of them. We never went to the puffin nesting area. When we got back we had a present from the town of Bar Harbor; a parking ticket. It would seem that the parking area for the whale watch cruises had a three-hour limit and our cruise took three and a half. We were not the only ones ticketed and in true tourist trap tradition, it seemed only the out of state vehicles were ticketed.

We also did a Moose Tour in the North Woods of Maine. We started in the town of Millinocket. Our guide took us north along some logging roads. These roads are paved and open to the public for recreation and camping. You just have to watch out for the logging trucks. We saw several moose, beavers, and various species of birds.

We also toured Acadia National Park and drove up to the summit of Mount Cadillac at sunset. We visited the Mount Desert Oceanarium. One of the cool places we visited was the Desert of Maine.

In New Hampshire we visited Clarke’s Trading Post. We saw a bear show and my son won a stuffed bear. We also rode their train which was pulled by a Climax locomotive. Lastly, we took the guided tour up the Mount Washington Auto Road. I was glad we did considering the driving I had to do. That road is a little too narrow and steep for my comfort. We left the base of the mountain in clear 75 F weather. The top was fogged in with 35 MPH winds and gusts up to 60 MPH with a temperature of 43 F and wind chill in the twenties.

I will get some photos posted in the coming days.

Now it is time to get back to unpacking and getting ready for a Cub Scout Marbles Tournament.

I hope everybody has a good day.

Brutus

Nov 8, 2007
Hi, I've been busy and barely posting anywhere lately. Nice pics the last couple days, Jeffrey. Chief, I had veggie chop suey with veggie rice and soup for lunch, yummy! Came home and kids wanted Taco Bell, so it's been international day at Casa Brutus! Sounds like a great trip, Tom.

Hey, do you guys know if anyone makes an N-Scale Dreyfuss Hudson? I've got a friend looking for one.

sir james

Dec 22, 2007
mich
Good Evening All
A nice day weather wise about 79 degrees, and I just came in from the porch after watching two hours of a real nice rain. I did not run trains today, just did not feel like it. But I don't forget them. Anyway I hope everyone had a good day....S.J.

CSXect

Dec 31, 2007
wall1 Quick post as I must be off to bed, diet is going well down to 3 drinks and 2 meals(real food)a day lowest I have weighed is 250 but it goes up and down a couple pounds.

:eek::eek::eek: maybe starting a 2nd temp job after wendsday as an it grunt:cool: they need 50 to 60 hours of my time to recondition a bunch of pc's done this for them before and thier permanent guy did not work outsign1 The two IT guys at this company are great to work for:cool:

:wave:

CSXect

Dec 31, 2007
Well up because we are having a tornado warning, very intense storm going from northwest to southeast cutting right through Columbus proper:eek:

Chief Eagles

Sep 30, 2005
Rolesville NC [just north of Raleigh]
CSXect, duck!!!!! Hope all OK. Wife did NOT come home from beach. Having fun with wild Grandson. Fighting Raleigh's utilities dept and contractor. Making a mess adding a water line. Not accepting liability for damages to our citizens' properties. Off to bed. Meetings tomorrow [good ones]. Good night.

jeffrey-wimberl

Oct 25, 2006
Sundown, Louisiana, USA
Good morning.

It's 69 here with a clear sky. That won't last as the clouds are a;ready moving in. The high will be around 90 with a strong possibility of thunderstorms. Looks like I'll be dodging lighting bolts again.

Yesterday wasn't much fun. It was pretty much one thunderstorm after another. I ended up being off the net more than I was on. I'm going to see if I can get some ballasting done on the back side of the layout today. Gotta go to the docs office tomorrow for a routine physical early in the am.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 6/26/2008

Wind Chill: 69°F
Humidity: 88%
Dew Point: 65°F

So Far Today
High: 70°F
Low: 69°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 5mph NNE

Today High: 92 Mostly cloudy with showers and thunderstorms likely. Highs in the lower 90s. Light and variable winds becoming south around 10 mph in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation 60 percent.

Tonight Low: 70 Mostly cloudy. A 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms in the evening. Lows around 70. South winds around 10 mph in the evening becoming light and variable.

p1010015-6.jpg

Chief Eagles

Sep 30, 2005
Rolesville NC [just north of Raleigh]
Morning. Got a couple of meetings to day. One at 11 and then one for lunch [Town is buying]. Staying cool.

Special prayer request sent to me.

All of you are aware of the young state trooper that was killed
in Haywood County Tuesday. Trooper Shawn Blanton left behind a
wife and son. His son, Tye, was born 7 weeks premature and has
been in serious condition since his birth May 31st. Tye was
placed on life support yesterday afternoon and is now very critical.
The NC Highway Patrol is asking everyone they can possibly reach
to please remember Shawn's son in your thoughts and prayers.

If you feel led to do so, please pass this prayer request along.
For the service, dedication and commitment that Shawn displayed and these folks show us every day, this I can do.

Have a great day.

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Good morning folks

It was 76 F as I headed out this morning on its way to 91 F. Today is the first day back to work. I had to clear a couple hundred emails. It may take me all day just to clear the pile on my desk so I can get back to real work.

Our Cub Scout Marbles Night went well last. We had three new scouts sign-up. We have two more possibles in the wings. If we get them we will have replaced all of Webelos 2 scouts who moved up to Boy Scouts.

Chief, sorry to hear about the trooper.

CSXect

Dec 31, 2007
Chief:thumb: , but than again look what happened when Chaney got hold of onesign1 maybe we should disarm all the politicians:mrgreen:

I now have two jobs(both part time temp jobs) may be able to buy some more wood so I can finish the 3rd table that I started this afternoon:twisted:

Survived the storms last night, suppose to be a repeat tonightwall1

Mom is feeling better everyday but complains about some of the pills she has to take:cry:

Brutus

Nov 8, 2007
Chief, how did they rule on freedom to choose your own religious beliefs? Just wondering. Man, I'm glad they settled that, and only 5-4. Sorry, heard Ted Nugent talking about this this afternoon and he was really wound up. He made some good points, too.

Looks good to me, Jeffrey!

sir james

Dec 22, 2007
mich
Good Evening
Another nasty storm this afternoon, some are without power again. Trees and tree limbs all over the place..No trains ran today but I did get into a lively discussion about Lionels announcement of redoing 1950s trains. And I don't want to start it over again but I do not understand why someone would buy an EXACT reissue of an item and then change it. It would no longer be an EXACT reisssue. However if Lionel installs electronic boards then it is NOT an exact copy and that changes the whole arguement..S.J.
Good nite all.

Brutus

Nov 8, 2007
Sir James, I understand your argument and I think you are right. If they change it, then it isn't a replica anymore - But, maybe "inspired by the Post War Classic?"

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Good morning folks

It was a muggy 78 F as I headed out on to the crowded highways this morning. The humidity is supposed to rise along with the high temperature of 92 F. We may get some thunderstorms this afternoon.

I started assembling another P2K Mather stockcar. Everything was going well until I ran out of glue. I really need to get to the LHS.

I am still in vacation recovery mode this weekend. We have the dreaded grocery shopping to do and I have a bunch of yard work.

For modeling I am at a standstill until I visit the LHS and pick up supplies. If I do I would like to finish assembling the stock car. I have some cars to weather.

Status
Not open for further replies.