Building the Walthers N scale Blast Furnace

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by TruckLover, Dec 25, 2006.

1. TruckLover

TruckLover Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer

Thanks Guys, I just finished it and I am taking pics of it shorlty and posting the last couple setps.

COMBAT - yep that is N Scale

Ejen - I only had one piece left over supprisinly, it was a pipe cap. sign1
  2. TruckLover

Step 36

Well, I had the last few steps and then they somehow got erased on my camera :curse: :curse: :curse:

So here is some pics of the finished model!!balloon6 balloon6

Took 33 hours to build!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Attached Files:

3. TruckLover

Attached Files:

4. TruckLover

Attached Files:

COMBAT Member

Great job!

Whats next your building? :)

COMBAT Member

That looks great!

What are you building next? :)
  7. TruckLover

Attached Files:

8. TruckLover

Next will be the Tank Car Loading Racks and the Tank Truck Loading Rack in HO scale.
  9. Agatheron

Agatheron Member

Holy... so where's the layout going to go to fit around that monstrosity? That looks amazing! :) Great job...
  10. Illus

Illus Member

So why the N Scale Blast? Cause the HO one is so darn hard to get? I know, I am eyeballing a couple of them, and may just have to bite the bullet and pay the price...

It looks great!!!!!!
  11. TruckLover

The layout is going to be under my HO scale layout and the N one is 10' long x 2' wide and it is all a STEEL MILLgoldtoth1 tooth1 :p bounce7
  12. TruckLover

I choose the N becaue it is for
    1. $100-150 cheaper
    2. Easyer to get ahold of the buildings. The HO steel mill buildings are all no longer prodused and that caused the prices to SKYROCKET which is a bummer because I would have much rather gone with HO, but then that would mean I would need 20' :D :D for a good steel mill.
    3. The N scale steel works buildings are all still available exept the Blast Furnace. I got it for $100 on e-bay. The Rolling Mill is still in production and the Coke Oven and Electric Furnace are due to come out in Jan.:thumb: :D
  13. holdenburg

holdenburg Member

Josh, is the red color part of the model??

I only read through the last 3 pages and photo's. Did you paint the red color on the model or was this the standard color? The rust red looks really good! Overall impression of completed model in N scale is really nice... Good Job!
  14. TruckLover

Thanks Herb.

No they don't come molded in that color, they come molded in black, I used primer that is rust color for the structure. It is made by Rustoleum
  15. Herc Driver

Herc Driver Active Member

Nice job Josh. That's going to look great on the layout. Weather it up and put it to work!
  16. TruckLover

Thanks Herc. I just got the rolling mill the other day and I just have to send the M.O. for it. :D
  17. MilesWestern

MilesWestern Active Member

Is there a ladle for the molten steel?
  18. TruckLover

AHH, I wish, at least not on the N scale version. The molton steel comes straight from the furnace and runs into the tracks on the 2nd floor and into waiting hot metal cars.

Does anyone know where I can pick some hot metal cars in N scale? I want the ones like the Walthers one's in HO scale but don't want brass ones that cost TONS

Here are the Walthers ones in HO scale, I am looking for N scale verions.

[​IMG] Slag Cars
    [​IMG] Bottle Cars

19. csxengineer

csxengineer Member

bottle cars

Only bottle cars are through that peach creek shop that I & others complained about on another forum that got deleted. $35. per resin bottle car that was hard for me to put together (became a static model cause the trucks were loose and derailed). I see walthers is making the Electric mill and coke works in N, maybe they'll make the cars someday, or better yet if atlas would make some ready to run ones.
  20. zahkunst

zahkunst New Member

I found your post via google and figured I'd offer some info on this topic.

Aside from overland brass there is ONLY unfortunately:

2 Slag car + 2 open top ladle set by minitrix on ebaY only #15180 $100-$110 per set
    2 car slag car set by minitrix #13827 $50 usually ebay only N resin slag cars $24 each (no trucks) ..ingot buggies..ladles etc.

Also peachcreek is allegedly releasing new resin slag kits in the summer.

I have some ken ray stuff. If you want email me and I'll let you know th deal on those before you buy.

Minitrix also has bottle cars but the larger 300 ton prototype standard from 60's on...those are still in production and always on ebaY...but $80 a pop.