Verde Canyon RR

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Last Saturday was a special day for us; we celebrated our 45th anniversary on the Verde Canyon RR out of Clarkdale, Arizona. There is some fantastic scenery along the way, and we got to ride in luxury in a restored 1930’s passenger car that was used on the ATSF El Capitan before they went to the hi-level cars of the 50’s. El Capitan ran from Los Angeles to Chicago. The train is pulled by two FP-7’s with a bald eagle on each side.

Here are a few of the many shots I took along the way. That speck in the sky is a bald eagle that had just taken off from its nest in the side of a hill:

Attachments

• Passcar.jpg
    Passcar.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 81
  • Engine-trestle.jpg
    Engine-trestle.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 80
  • Wood trestle.jpg
    Wood trestle.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 76
  • Train eagle.jpg
    Train eagle.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 75
  • Train engines.jpg
    Train engines.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 78

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Here are just a few more shots of the canyon and a shot of some cars that are waiting to be restored:

Attachments

• Train red cliffs.jpg
    Train red cliffs.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 75
  • Train rocks.jpg
    Train rocks.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 75
  • Old train.jpg
    Old train.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 73

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
Looks like you folks had a grand time Don. You sure captured the scenery well and all from the comfort of that luxurious passenger car. They don't make them like that anymore.

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
Great photos Don.
I've been to Clarkdale and looked around the station area and yard but haven't rode the train yet.
This would be an interesting railroad to model as they run regular freight service also.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Ray Marinaccio said:
Great photos Don.
I've been to Clarkdale and looked around the station area and yard but haven't rode the train yet.
This would be an interesting railroad to model as they run regular freight service also.
Yeah Ray, from what they said, the current owner bought the line based on freight revenue. It wasn't until a few years later that he decided to run the passenger tour. Seems like they run a full train just about every day. It doesn't go anywhere. Two hours to Perkinsville Ranch, switch the engine, then two hours back. But, I've ridden the Grand Canyon RR a couple of times, and there, it's the destination, not the journey. Here, it's all about the ride.:thumb::thumb:

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
We had another opportunity to take the train ride when we had some out of state visitors come by two weeks ago. Here are a few more shots I didn't get last time:

Attachments

• 03Buildings.jpg
    03Buildings.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 66
  • 04Tank.jpg
    04Tank.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 66
  • 15River.jpg
    15River.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 63
  • 19Tressle.jpg
    19Tressle.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 64
  • 20Hill.jpg
    20Hill.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 70

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Here are a few more:
The first is the two FP7's switching sides at Perkinsville
The next two are of the Perkinsville station
The forth is an abandond bunkhouse. The base of the water tower is still standing. The tower itself was blown up for a movie that was made there.
A bridge leaving Perkinsville

Attachments

• 45Engine.jpg
    45Engine.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 70
  • 47Station.jpg
    47Station.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 69
  • 51Station.jpg
    51Station.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 67
  • 54Bunkhouse.jpg
    54Bunkhouse.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 62
  • 59Bridge.jpg
    59Bridge.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 71

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Just a few more:
An old slag pile
A power station
The old roundhouse
An engine in Flagstaff
Flagstaff Station

Attachments

• 75Slag.jpg
    75Slag.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 79
  • 77Power.jpg
    77Power.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 59
  • 81Roundhouse.jpg
    81Roundhouse.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 60
  • Flagstaff113.jpg
    Flagstaff113.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 59
  • Flag station114.jpg
    Flag station114.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 58

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
We continued our trip through Sedona and visited a couple of Indian ruins:
Another shot of the Chaple in Sedona, alway impessive
Two more shots of Sedona
Some Indian ruins in Tousigoot National Monument
Some more ruins at Montazuma's Castle National Monument

Attachments

• Chaple100.jpg
    Chaple100.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 59
  • Sedona101.jpg
    Sedona101.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 60
  • Sedona105.jpg
    Sedona105.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 63
  • Toosigoot93.jpg
    Toosigoot93.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 68
  • Castle115.jpg
    Castle115.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 71

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Lastly, the most unique sight of the entire trip, a McDonald's in Sedona where they had to forego the Golden Arches, since the town insisted on Teal. Note the license plate on the car in front of the building....:wave::wave:

Attachments

• Arches123.jpg
    Arches123.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 61

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I rode the Verde Canyon RR two years ago when we visited Sedona. I've never ridden any of the Colorado narrow gauge trains, but Durango and Silverton and Alaska RR are the only railroads I can think of in North America with comparable scenery. I liked the open gondola's between the passenger cars where you could go out to take pics, and then come back in if you got cold. I've also thought of modeling the Verde Valley. They offer custom painted Athearn f-7s in the gift shop, but since they are exclusive to the Verde Valley RR, they are pricey.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Thanks all, this area is one of our favorite to visit. I think we'd move there except for three reasons. It snows up there and the cost of homes are about double that here in the Phoenix area. Oh, the third reason, it snows up there:eek: :D :eek: :D...

I'd like to see that article. Ray Marinaccio has a better handle on some of the railroads that ran up in that area, but I know that the tracks that the Verde Canyon RR is now using were laid for back in the 20's to service the mines up Jerome. The tracks go well beyond Perkinsville, the turnaround point for the tour.

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Poverty Acres, North Carolina
Visit site
Don I've been giving away alot of my old issues so I don't thiink I have that anymore but if you go to MR's website and type in the Jerome & Southwestern on their search thingie it should take you to it. For a small fee they will photocopy it and send it to you if you want.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Tyson Rayles said:
Don I've been giving away alot of my old issues so I don't thiink I have that anymore but if you go to MR's website and type in the Jerome & Southwestern on their search thingie it should take you to it. For a small fee they will photocopy it and send it to you if you want.
Thanks for the tip. There's a train show in Mesa next month. There's always a few people there selling back issues for under a dollar each, so I might do that first.

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Poverty Acres, North Carolina
Visit site
Don I'll be off next week, I'll try and see if I still have any of the issues. The layout was a 4x8 with a 2x6 extension called the Back Alley & Wharf or something. The project was in about 6-8 issues I think. He had alot of the history and photos of the real area and interviews with some of the local people and employees.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Tyson Rayles said:
Don I'll be off next week, I'll try and see if I still have any of the issues. The layout was a 4x8 with a 2x6 extension called the Back Alley & Wharf or something. The project was in about 6-8 issues I think. He had alot of the history and photos of the real area and interviews with some of the local people and employees.
Thanks, I know a few other people here that would be interested as well.:wave: