Verde Canyon RR

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I think the "Jerome and Southwestern" series was later offered in book form from Kalmbach like they do many of their project railroads. I think the title may have been "HO Railroad That Grows."

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
I did as you suggested and searched the MR article database. The series was: The Jerome & Southwestern, and ran in MR in seven parts from June to Dec 1982. Two additional articles were added in Jan and Feb of 83. I am very interested in what and how he did the scenery

In June of 1982, we were busy starting our new business and had little interest in anything else at the time, nevermind a hobby that would be this much fun and this interesting to do...:D:D

Oh yeah, the database said it was also published in the book: Building an HO Model Railroad with Personality.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Tyson Rayles said:
Don I came up empty, don't have those issues anymore. I checked at the store to see if we still had a copy of the book, no luck there either. :(
Thanks, I appreciate the effort.:wave::wave: I'll take a list with me to the train show this weekend and see what they have there. It's a curiosity factor, but I am interested in how he handled the scenery. I'll keep you posted on what I find.:D

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Don,
I checked Kalmbach's website. The book seems to be out of print, and there are only a few (4) back issues available with the installments # 1,2,7 and 9 (this was the addition, as far as I remember). :(

I will dig into my collection of MR magazines. Perhaps I'll find those issues...

Ron

Clerk

Nov 6, 2002
Esparto, California
Visit site
45 years. wow.I got you beat by 8 years. Congrat Don. That is a long time with a great gal isn't it?
oh,by the way. I really enjoyed the pictures. If i had to choose which is the best, I couldn't

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Don, I may be mistaken, but it seems Kalmbach used to advertise that they would send reprints of articles for $0.50 each article. I don't know if that included pictures or if they still do it.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
ezdays said:
I'd like to see that article. Ray Marinaccio has a better handle on some of the railroads that ran up in that area, but I know that the tracks that the Verde Canyon RR is now using were laid for back in the 20's to service the mines up Jerome. The tracks go well beyond Perkinsville, the turnaround point for the tour.

I think the current owner bought the railroad for the freight operations that operate nearer the BNSF main. It was after he had bought the line that he took a ride on the entire railroad and decided to run tours through the Verde Canyon on what was once abandoned right of way.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Just spent the morning with Jim Currie at the Mesa train show. Not much of interest there for either of us. Well, I did buy a box lot of odds and ends which included six non-working engines (gee, why didn't that surprise me that none of them worked?):rolleyes::rolleyes:. But Jim and I had a good time regardless, and.... Jim brough all the MR issues from Jan. '82 through Feb. '83 with all the Jerome & Southwestern articles. I can't thank him enough (I'll take good care of them Jim :D ). Now I can see what we're talking about here.:wave::wave:

BTW, none of the regular old issue magazine dealers were there, hardly any HO scale there, and I bought about half the N scale that was for sale, which means there wasn't much there of that either.:curse::curse:

Thank you all for your efforts in finding these back issues.:thumb::thumb: I should be able to make copies of the pages I want.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Dick Elmore said:
:thumb: Great shots Don!! But I think those are California Condors, not Eagles on the engines.

Dick
Teas Chief

Actually they are eagles. I didn't realise it until I rode the Verde Railroad, but the Verde River Canyon is where the bald and golden eagles from Alaska come to spend the winters. They have one or two pairs of eagles that live year round in the canyon, but in November the eagles arrive and there will be hundresds of them in the canyon until the end of April.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Russ is right, they are indeed eagles, that's the trademark of the Verde Canyon RR., because they are in the canyon. We did pass by the eagle nesting area, but I failed to get a good shot of it. There were no eagles around the second trip though, a bit too early I guess.

They re-introduced the California Condor into the Grand Canyon a few years ago, and they flurish there now.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Tyson Rayles said:
Glad to hear you got ahold of those issues, I think you will really enjoy that series!
For what it's worth, the MR site is wrong. Thanks to Jim, he saw that the series actually started in Feb. '82 and brought me all the '82 issues. The follow up articles were in April, June. Aug, Oct, Nov and Dec. as well as Jan and Feb of '83. Had I pursued finding these issues on my own, I would have been looking for the wrong issues. Jim, I thank you once again.:wave::wave: Isn't this a great community we have here at the Gauge?:thumb::thumb: