Verde Canyon RR

Dick Elmore

Aug 22, 2003
Central Illinois
Visit site
I'm sorry. They may have told that they are Bald Eagles. If so, then they need to get a better painter. With those boney little heads, beady little eyes, and humongous beaks, they definately look more like California Condors or Turkey Vultures. I live in the Illinoise river valley. Just a few miles north of me is an area that boasts the largest concentration of Bald Eagles in the United States. I see these birds every day of my life. I have professional paintings and photographs
of them hanging on my walls and they don't look anything like those things on the sides of those engines. They're still real nice pictures of the scenery. Thanks.

Dick
Texas Chief

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Dick,

I agree, but the picture I took doesn't do the painting on the engine justice. I think it might be the angle I shot it, but I would think they would paint an accurate picture of bald eagles on their engines. Actually looking at them doesn't convey that image, they indeed look like eagles. We've got a lot of turkey vultures around here, and the picture I took does make it look a bit like the beak of one. But again, I think it's the way the painting wraps around the engine body and where I was standing at the time. I'll check and see if I have a better shot, if I do, I'll post it here.

I think Russ will back me up on this, the engine painting does indeed look like a bald eagle, not the way my pic shows it to be.

Oh, and thanks, it's hard not to take good pics around that canyon.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
They definately look like Bald Eagles, but an Fp9 doesn't really provide a flat surface to paint them on, and they will be a little distorted if you don't look at them from the side of the locomotive at a 90 degree angle.