The UHU02 Colonial Viper appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Revell-Fan, Aug 11, 2013.

1. silveroxide

silveroxide Well-Known Member

silveroxides Viper

Great work on the landing skids. Keep up with the updates, since I keep track of what you guys are doing to help with mine.

Here are some more photo updates on the after burner venturis. The end plates serve as a support, to maintain the shape and to serve as a flat surface to adhere to on the bulkhead. Enjoy and see you all next posting.:thumb:

Attached Files:

• 121.jpg
      File size:
      51.2 KB
    • 122.jpg
      File size:
      45.3 KB
    • 123.jpg
      File size:
      42.4 KB
    • 124.jpg
      File size:
      30.3 KB
    • 125.jpg
      File size:
      34 KB
    • 126.jpg
      File size:
      50.4 KB
    • 127.jpg
      File size:
      37.2 KB
    • 128.jpg
      File size:
      46.9 KB
    • 129.jpg
      File size:
      56.8 KB
    • 130.jpg
      File size:
      42.7 KB
  2. Rhaven Blaack

Rhaven Blaack ADMINISTRATOR Administrator

EXTRA components (Tool Box)

Here is the Tool Box (made by Revell-Fan) in 1:50 scale.
    This will be going to be part of the diorama.

Here is the parts sheet.

All of the parts.

The main box.

Main box is assembled.

The wheels.

Wheels attached.

The box next to the Viper

cylongirl likes this.
  3. spaceagent-9

spaceagent-9 Right Hand Man and Confidant

4. uhu02

uhu02 Active Member

Hello Rhaven Blaack,silveroxide,DanBKing,Revell-Fan and all.

Thing to see the building of you guys is my pleasure.:EEK:
    Beyond my work, they are much masterpiece.:親指:

You give me the idea and the concept of new creation.
    Thank you sincerely.

Revell-Fan likes this.
  5. Rhaven Blaack

@UHU02: Thank you for your kind words and compliments. Such coming from you means a GREAT deal to all of us.
    I am glad to see that you are enjoying this thread.
    It is also an HONOR that we were able to inspire you through our collective work.
    I am looking forward to see what you are going to create next.

Thank you once again for sharing your WONDERFUL work with all of us and giving us the opportunity to enjoy what all you have created.
  6. Revell-Fan

Revell-Fan Co-Administrator Administrator

Dear UHU02,

I couldn't have said it better than Rhaven. The fact that you are enjoying this thread fills me with great pleasure. Your design is very straight-forward, logical and intelligent. It is such a joy to build the plane. We still have some surprises left for our huge audience and I am sure the results will be spectacular.

Kind regards from Germany! :wave:
  7. zathros

zathros SENIOR Administrator

You guys are so lucky! :)
  8. Rhaven Blaack

Knuckle Dragger

I used Tirick's X-Wing Pilot for the Knuckle Dragger (THANK YOU TIRICK!!!).
    The only problem, is that i printed it out a little too small for the diorama. The figure came out to be about 3.4cm (which after doing the math, would make it 5' 5" in real life). Then again having a short mechanic is not a bad thing.
    I will have to increase the size by 5% (at the most, to get the height that I want).

Finished figurine.

Figurine next to the Viper.

Close-up of the Figurine (next to the Viper).

9. Revell-Fan

Call it "Cally" and there is no size problem any longer! :thumb:
  10. Rhaven Blaack

If I did that, I would have to change the male head (with mustache) for a female head (which really would not be a bad idea).
  11. Revell-Fan

12. Revell-Fan

+++ German sitrep +++

Let's hear some news from the German garage. :thumb:

First of all I want to show you some close-ups of the attached fin. After assembly you will have to paint the edges to make them look better. However, instead of painting the edges completely black you should let the tecture "bleed into" the edge, so-to-speak. To achieve that I coloured only the areas embraced by a black texture. In the end it looks as if there are some components wrapping around the edge which gives a very interesting result. The part looks stronger.

Attached Files:

13. Revell-Fan

And now it's getting interesting again: The cockpit tub skin is coming.

All parts have been assembled according to the original instructions. I made some glue tabs from scrap pieces (of one of the pages with the printed back). They were used to connect the slits at the sides from the inside in order to get a smooth surface.

Attached Files:

14. Revell-Fan

Be very careful when you are pre-shaping the parts. I rolled the part over a rod and a pen several times to get the correct shape. The following pictures give you an idea of the final look of the curvatures.

Attached Files:

15. Revell-Fan

And now the mounting: Turn the skin about 90° and put it over the nose. When it reaches the back of the seat turn it up. Take special care of the "hoses" on top of the head rest, they prevent the part from rotating freely. You have to manually lift one of the flaps over the head rest while rotating the skin. Then it is CAREFULLY pushed over the cockpit area. You might encounter some problems at the back of the cockpit tub because the skin may be a bit tight there. I have marked the areas in question in the pics. It is: the former at the back of the cockpit, the small boxes behind it and the missile box at the bottom.

Do not force anything.

If you feel any resistance take the skin off again and press the troubling parts on the fuselage in place gently. Then try again and pull the skin over the areas by using a pair of tweezers and by applying some pressure to the skin with your fingers from the inside of the cockpit tub (see red arrow). Do not press, push and pull too hard in order not to break anything.

Once the part is in place you may press it gently to shape.

Attached Files:

16. Revell-Fan

The skin is in place - and can be removed again!

Attached Files:

17. Rhaven Blaack

That is BEAUTIFUL!!!
    It looks far better then mine does!!!
  18. Revell-Fan

--- Breaking News ---

I have assembled the nose skin - and it doesn't fit! It is too tight and can't be pushed over former 8 as intended. As a result, there is a 4 mm gap between cockpit tub skin and nose skin which has to be closed. CU later with some pics and a possible solution. Stay tuned!
  19. Rogerio Silva

Rogerio Silva Active Member

running nose...

Do you think you can re-print the page with a small upscaling, in order to make it fit? :confused:
  20. Revell-Fan

Actually, I fear an upscaling would make the skin wobble back and forth and would make things worse; a difference of 4 mm is quite big in that scale. I intend to add a rim to the skin and to re-align the cutouts for the mechanics behind the guns and the cutouts for the bottom RCS thrusters.