img1084ol9.jpg

img1080dv6.jpg

img1081mn9.jpg

img1077hs8.jpg
http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/2187/img1077hs8.jpg

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Good Work Josh!

Josh, WOW!!:eek: the weathering on those BN's, looks GREAT!:thumb: looks to me like you have mastered the weathering,...grasshoppertooth1 . (BTW, THANK YOU!, for the "plug" to my thread:D ) green_elite_cab, NICE job weathering!:thumb: :D -Deano

Raildog

Dec 18, 2003
Central Florida
naphotos.nerail.org
Yikes!

You guys need to pay more attention to the prototype. Study the prototype and you will see the difference between weathering and slopping on chalk.

Practice, practice and more practice.

I'm sorry to burst some bubbles, but if praising someone for getting a car dirty is what you think will make someone a better modeler, then have at it.
If you want constructive criticism and actual help, post your pictures in the forum here. http://modeltrainsweathered.com

2slim

Jan 16, 2004
Murray, UT
Visit site
Just like every other aspect of the hobby there are artists at weathering...c'mon Raildog, ease up! Not everyone weathers like the people on that site, if you want contest quality weathering fine, that's a great site to get ideas. But in my opinion, Cab, Trucklover and Deano have done a fine job of weathering their stuff. If you ask me, the worst thing to do is become a perfectionist at weathering, the only person who can pull that off is Mother Nature!!

2slim

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
Raildog said:
Yikes!

You guys need to pay more attention to the prototype. Study the prototype and you will see the difference between weathering and slopping on chalk.

Practice, practice and more practice.

I'm sorry to burst some bubbles, but if praising someone for getting a car dirty is what you think will make someone a better modeler, then have at it.
If you want constructive criticism and actual help, post your pictures in the forum here. http://modeltrainsweathered.com

hey, i think i did pretty good for a first time, lol. Besides, i'm not quite ready to dirty up my freight cars to much. actual help would be telling us how we can improove stuff.

nice weather on that site though.

2slim

Jan 16, 2004
Murray, UT
Visit site
Cab
I'm one of these people who takes the minimalistic approach to weathering. If it takes me longer to weather the car than it did to build it, I have no interest! What would you rather do, run trains or weather engines and cars! People who don't have layouts seem to have all the time in the world to get their paint and detailing and weathering just perfect. One thing I will say is that the more intense weathering jobs like on the Model Trains Weathered site don't hold up well to a lot of handling, I often wonder if the guy who does the site just has a bunch of 'shelf queens'. The cars I've weathered using those tips have had to be redone due to handling, and this was after being sealed with dullcoat. It all boils down to what floats your boat!

2slim

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
RD,
Hey we all want to get better and learn. All of the people who showed their work on this thread would be happy to hear suggestions and learn techniques to improve. But what is the point in bemoaning the fact that what these people needed was constuctive criticism and then not giving them any yourself? Also "slopping on chalk" implies that they didn't care or try their best..........that most certainly is NOT the case.

Raildog

Dec 18, 2003
Central Florida
naphotos.nerail.org
I didn't bemoan the fact that they needed constructive criticism. I showed them where they could go to get it.

I urge anyone who wants to learn a bit more about weathering and considerers themselves a beginner at it, to go to the link posted below and read about this quarters challenge. Or just join and post a car in the general section. We don't bite.

http://modeltrainsweathered.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1000

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
heres the way I SEE IT, ALOT of people want to weather their cars, but just don't have the "gonzos" to make the first attempt at it. i AM NOT a weathering expert, NOT BY A LONG SHOT! however, i have come up with an EASY weathering system that produces satisfactory results FOR ME;) . like MOST people, i was tired of seeing shiny plastic looking cars on my layout:( . so i developed an ENTRY LEVEL weathering system, and passed it on to others. it is SIMPLE, and gets others feet wet in weathering:thumb: . if you are REALLY into weathering, you can progress on, and take it as far as you want:thumb: . BOTTOM LINE, my EASY weathering gave people the "gonzos" to get their feet wet and attempt weathering:thumb::D. i think EVERYONE on this thread deserves a PAT ON THE BACK, for getting past the scared to try it stage, AND for the progress they are making, with each and EVERY car they practice on:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :D . with EVERY car you guys have done, I SEE PROGRESS!!!:thumb: :D . I SAY, KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!:D -Deano View attachment 29667

Attachments

• 22298.jpg
    22298.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 84

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Deano's post (or actually, the photos of his work) does indeed show a simple way to get good results. BTW, Deano, I wish you would post it seperately from your huge thread where it gets lost. But I have to say I also see Raildogs point, and I don't think it was meant as critical in a nasty way. The work exhibited on Raildogs link is superb.

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Rancho Santa Margarita, Cali.
UP SD40-2 said:
heres the way I SEE IT, ALOT of people want to weather their cars, but just don't have the "gonzos" to make the first attempt at it. i AM NOT a weathering expert, NOT BY A LONG SHOT! however, i have come up with an EASY weathering system that produces satisfactory results FOR ME;) . like MOST people, i was tired of seeing shiny plastic looking cars on my layout:( . so i developed an ENTRY LEVEL weathering system, and passed it on to others. it is SIMPLE, and gets others feet wet in weathering:thumb: . if you are REALLY into weathering, you can progress on, and take it as far as you want:thumb: . BOTTOM LINE, my EASY weathering gave people the "gonzos" to get their feet wet and attempt weathering:thumb::D. i think EVERYONE on this thread deserves a PAT ON THE BACK, for getting past the scared to try it stage, AND for the progress they are making, with each and EVERY car they practice on:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :D . with EVERY car you guys have done, I SEE PROGRESS!!!:thumb: :D . I SAY, KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!:D -Deano View attachment 29667

Well Said Deano.

I am not looking for stuff that a pro would do, I just want the cars to look dirty, I don't car if they arn't what you would see on the tracks!!! I think that is paryt of the fun in wheathering, to make your OWN dirt. Deano's Easy Wheathering is what I like because I don't want to spent upwards of 45 minutes on each car. It is just to time consuming for me when I could be doing other work on my layout or running trains. So I will stick with Deano's Easy Wheathering. Thanks Again Deano,:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: and I am sure that everyone else who has tryed your tutorial feels the same way

Raildog

Dec 18, 2003
Central Florida
naphotos.nerail.org
I am not looking for stuff that a pro would do, I just want the cars to look dirty, I don't car if they arn't what you would see on the tracks!!!

You definitely got what you wanted then. Maybe a Lionel giraffe car will be next...

The simplest weathering only takes a few minutes. I can't believe that you wouldn't want to have your equipment looking realistic, but hey, it's your little world.

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Don't you get it, I am happy with what I got and that is all that matters right??????? AT LEAST IT IS TO ME.

I started this thread to show some of the work that I have done from Deano's Tutorial. I was hopping that other people would post some of there first stuff to and they have. Again, great job to everyone who has used Deano's tutorial. I think that we all got great results and hey, if your not happy, then by all means, move on to another idea.:thumb: :thumb:

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Raildog said:
You definitely got what you wanted then. Maybe a Lionel giraffe car will be next...

The simplest weathering only takes a few minutes. I can't believe that you wouldn't want to have your equipment looking realistic, but hey, it's your little world.
AHEM, Raildog, i think YOU are missing the BIG picture here;) . using words like, "slopping on chalk", and the "Lionel giraffe car", are just making things detrimental to your plight;). if you REALLY wanted to help these people out, i STRONGLY think i would phrase things a little differently, and show some encouragement;) . let me draw you a picture, these people are JUST STARTING to enter the weathering world, let them get their feet wet first, and if they decide THATS what they are REALLY into, they can move on:thumb:. AND, if you think EVERY car looks like the cars on the website you put up a link to, then perhaps YOU should look at the prototypes a little closer;) . YES, the cars on your link look GREAT:thumb: , but i can go to ANY yard, and find cars that ARE NOT all rusted up, and have little more then SOME dirt on them;) . ALSO, understand that unlike YOU, not all of us want to spend the time on weathering as you do, some just want something close, and thats good enough;), that DOES NOT make those that feel this way, wrong. HONESTLY, look at my "Milwaukee road", and tell me you haven't seen cars that look very similar to that. EVERY ONE of the guys on this thread ARE new to weathering, and are REALLY trying their hardest to try and achieve something, encouraging words would win them over, i can ASSURE YOU, snide remarks wont;) . :D -Deano

Thoroughbreed

Aug 4, 2006
South Eastern AL
Has anyone thought of using plain vaseline, a very small amount, on a fine brush end and go downward from a fuel filler cap on a fuel tank to emulate spalsh and overfill? Just thought about it as it would give the shiny effect in different shade of the underlying paint. And as a petro by product, in such respect to diesel, would give the same effect.
Also, as a former ovr truck driver, on some of the trailers, you might wanna put an extra emphasis around the wheel areas on the trailer, both on the tandems and drive axels. As water is often washed up onto the trailer from these drive axels and tandems, it creates an oval area of extra dirtiness. I would often go to a truck wash 2 times a week to clean up my truck, didnt care too much for the trailer, but as the co paid for both, I didnt mind. Just a suggestion, as we're looking for as close to proto as we can get.

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Thoroughbreed said:
Has anyone thought of using plain vaseline, a very small amount, on a fine brush end and go downward from a fuel filler cap on a fuel tank to emulate spalsh and overfill? Just thought about it as it would give the shiny effect in different shade of the underlying paint. And as a petro by product, in such respect to diesel, would give the same effect.
Also, as a former ovr truck driver, on some of the trailers, you might wanna put an extra emphasis around the wheel areas on the trailer, both on the tandems and drive axels. As water is often washed up onto the trailer from these drive axels and tandems, it creates an oval area of extra dirtiness. I would often go to a truck wash 2 times a week to clean up my truck, didnt care too much for the trailer, but as the co paid for both, I didnt mind. Just a suggestion, as we're looking for as close to proto as we can get.

They both sound like great ideas. The second would be great for me because as you might no, I have tons of trucks and trailers. Ill have to try it. :D :)

Thanks Thoroughbreed :thumb: :thumb:

Raildog

Dec 18, 2003
Central Florida
naphotos.nerail.org

Vaseline is a solvent. It would never dry, collect dust and smear when touched.

Clear gloss paint is much safer.

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Raildog said:
Vaseline is a solvent. It would never dry, collect dust and smear when touched.

Clear gloss paint is much safer.
good point Raildog;) , and a GREAT idea for an alternate product:thumb: . :D -Deano