My First Wheathered Stuff

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
Raildog said:
You definitely got what you wanted then. Maybe a Lionel giraffe car will be next...

The simplest weathering only takes a few minutes. I can't believe that you wouldn't want to have your equipment looking realistic, but hey, it's your little world.

Don't you think you are pushing it alittle to far? If i had cars to weather and the supplies i'd try out those techniques, but for now i'm just happy trying to get things moving along, and thats probably how truck lover feels. I'm sure my Erie Lackawanna hopper would be MUCH dirtier than it is in my picture, but I don't have the supplies, nor do i feel ready to kick it up that extra notch just yet. I suppose it is easy once you start going at it, but for now i think what i have atleast is good enough.

Thoroughbreed

Aug 4, 2006
South Eastern AL
Vaseline will NOT dissolve clear coat paint, if applied thin enough (hint small brush, small amount), will not attract enough dust to disrupt anything, and will leave the efffect of real fuel splash behind.
Sorry if I seem abrupt.

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
protopaintwest.googlepages.com
Soooo.....ANY new developments on your layout?

I like weathering my cars alot, but It took alot of expirementation before it even began to look like weathering, and not just paint.

You can see a good example of weathering here:
http://www.freewebs.com/mileswestern/theprototype.htm

Enjoy, and Let's not Hijack this thread in the name of weathering, ok?
I wanna see some layout PROgress!! :thumb:

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Miles, WOW!:eek: VERY NICE website, and MODELING!:thumb: i was quite impressed!:thumb::D -Deano

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Hi folks,

We may have different skill levels among members but its always OK to post your work and to expect courteous feedback. Those of us who have a certain expertise are welcome to show us what they have as inspiration but we will remember to be encouraging and not knock anyone's work. Some of us have a personal goal to replicate the prototype as closely as possible while others might not find that as important. Its good to remember that we have these differences and that the ultimate goal of The Gauge is to have fun with the hobby.

Regards,
Ralph

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
Raildog said:
You're right. Why use paint when slimy grease will do the same job?

lol, that reminds me of a Lionel NYC bridge that came into my possesion. When i got it, it had been left out side for quite some time for whatever reason. I got most of the bad dirt off, but sealed the actual rust in there with a clear coat from my airbrush. It looks pretty cool if you ask me. the NYC decals are half fading. I need to start making a Penn Central / Conrail layout in O scale sometime, lol.

real weathering is possible, lol. not that it is a good idea of course...

Canopus

Mar 16, 2006
Cornwall UK
Even though RD was perhaps a little brash in his approach, I have to commend him for having the guts to actually criticise TLs work and make suggestions for where he can go to get ideas. People seem to be crowding around this Trucklover guy giving excessive praise, and while it's fine to give new model railroaders plenty of encouragement, being honest about what they're doing wrong and offering suggestions on improvements is more helpful than a big, fake, white grin.

The gauge is a "fun place to be fun fun fun hobby time fun" etc. but c'mon, where's the definition between an approval group and a forum if none of us offer our true opinions?

TL you're obviously improving quite rapidly with your weathering, because your later attempts are much better than your first. Keep at it, and take a look around the web - there are plenty of sites that offer tutorials on quick and easy methods that improve your weathering. Good work so far though - definately no worse than my first attempts.

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
protopaintwest.googlepages.com
Yeah, Canopus I agree. However at least I know I wouldn't give praise unless it meets the following crieteria:

1.The presented photo is Currently better in quality than I can achieve with the skills/tools/equipment I currently have.

2. The person(s) have markedly improved over a span of time, and that's always worth praise.

3.Has done/achieved something I haven't yet, and desire to do.

4. Encourage more posts because I like the way he/she posts their progress (e.g. Well documented, intresting stories, maybe even tutorials)

5. ...and Finally the "Wow" Factor.

Trucklover fits the following and why, at least to me....

#2 because He had a layout without trains before I created a trackplan for him, and thus caused him to make his first step into real model railroading, not just a parking lot for his 1:87 scale vehicles and a couple of RRcars ;) (I hope he agrees! ;) )

and

#4 because he is willing to make a huge amount of choices on his layout, and in his mind about what to do with his layout! Do any of the people who have the audacity to criticise him even have a layout to compare to in the first place? Even if you do, have YOU taken those steps so fast, thanks to encouragement of realitively anonymous people?

Just asking. ;)

Also, I back as much prototype research as is necessary, like how G_E_C found his EXACT locomotive, with an amazing pictoral walkaround? Now that's inspiration that's worth doing something about!

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
Canopus,
I respect your opinion but I disagree. Had this thread been titled "BEEN WEATHERIN' FOR 20 YEARS...SEE HOW AN EXPERT DOES IT!" or " NEED HELP WEATHERIN" I would say you were right. As the title of this thread implies, this is TL's FIRST weathered stuff. He is trying to implement Deano's approach (who gets awesome results by the way), show his work and encourage others to give it a try and show their First attempts. What TL (and probably about 95% of us) needs is practice practice practice. He knows what to do...It's a matter of repetition and developing "an eye" for it. You said it your self:
TL you're obviously improving quite rapidly with your weathering, because your later attempts are much better than your first. Keep at it
There is nothing wrong with telling someone to check out other websites for more ideas. that's good advice. But no one should get on other people for not giving constructive criticism or practical know-how and then not offering any themselves. And it should ALWAYS be kept respectful...it wasn't.
where's the definition between an approval group and a forum if none of us offer our true opinions?
These were our true opinions. The only difference was we were keeping in mind these were first attempts. One last thing, what takes "guts" is to post pictures of your work in front of modelers (many of whom have been doing this for decades) and letting the chips fall where they may. Getting pats on the back has never caused me to become complacent, but rather, inspired me to improve.
Respectfully

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
On a lighter note...here the first thing I weathered:
Looks like I need practice too!tooth1

Attachments

• scenery 017 small.jpg
    scenery 017 small.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 41

Canopus

Mar 16, 2006
Cornwall UK
Nazgul said:
Canopus,
I respect your opinion but I disagree. Had this thread been titled "BEEN WEATHERIN' FOR 20 YEARS...SEE HOW AN EXPERT DOES IT!" or " NEED HELP WEATHERIN" I would say you were right. As the title of this thread implies, this is TL's FIRST weathered stuff.

I don't see how the fact that this is his first weathered stuff negates the fact that we should offer any advice. Surely it would mean that we should give MORE advice than normal to help him progress as fast as possible? I don't see how anyone could have a problem with offering advice on how someone could improve if it's their first stuff. Obviously it's not going to be fantastic first time - your first time is when you make all the mistakes - but why tell someone that it's fantastic first time just because you're scared that if you say "nice work, definately a good first attempt, however here are a few things that I'd suggest for improvements" you'll cause offense?

Nazgul said:
You said it your self:
There is nothing wrong with telling someone to check out other websites for more ideas. that's good advice. But no one should get on other people for not giving constructive criticism or practical know-how and then not offering any themselves. And it should ALWAYS be kept respectful...it wasn't.

I said none of that myself. Some of what RD said was disrespectful yes - nothing I said was disrespectful though. I don't believe I was "getting on other people" without reason - I have personally seen lots of really good modellers on this forum praise TLs work when it's obvious that it could've been done better in certain areas and they being the experts didn't even offer any advice.

Your argument that I'm in the wrong to make criticisms simply because I offered no advice works fine for most cases but not this one, because I could and did consider writing a whole tutorial on weathering to help him improve, but what's the point in doing that when I can just back up what RD said about visiting websites that have already laid it out for us? Lazy? Probably, but so are the guys who give NO advice at all and just praise praise praise. It's the easy way out.

Nazgul said:
These were our true opinions. The only difference was we were keeping in mind these were first attempts. One last thing, what takes "guts" is to post pictures of your work in front of modelers (many of whom have been doing this for decades) and letting the chips fall where they may. Getting pats on the back has never caused me to become complacent, but rather, inspired me to improve.
Respectfully

'Respectfully' it's not really your position to say whether they were "our" true opinions, unless you're telepathically linked to everyone on the forum. And please don't change the subject - we're not talking about whether TL has guts here, but if we were I'd say that it doesn't take guts to post pictures of a first attempt in front of people who do nothing but praise regardless.

I've commended him in the past for what he's done and I understand that they're some of his first attempts. Let me get one thing clear; I'm not suggesting that anyone should be harsh when offering constructive criticism. "Your model sucks, but here's a way to improve it" is not acceptable. "Your weathering is a good first attempt, but here's some improvements that I would suggest to get it looking really great" is more what I'm talking about.

Being respectful of the fact that it's his first attempt doesn't mean totally wimping out when it comes to constructive criticism. There are ways of offering constructive criticism without dampening enthusiasm or hurting feelings.

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Rancho Santa Margarita, Cali.
Canopus said:
TL you're obviously improving quite rapidly with your weathering, because your later attempts are much better than your first. Keep at it, and take a look around the web - there are plenty of sites that offer tutorials on quick and easy methods that improve your weathering. Good work so far though - definately no worse than my first attempts.

Thanks, I will do that. :) :D

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
MilesWestern said:
Trucklover fits the following and why, at least to me....
#2 because He had a layout without trains before I created a trackplan for him, and thus caused him to make his first step into real model railroading, not just a parking lot for his 1:87 scale vehicles and a couple of RRcars ;) (I hope he agrees! ;) )

and

#4 because he is willing to make a huge amount of choices on his layout, and in his mind about what to do with his layout! Do any of the people who have the audacity to criticise him even have a layout to compare to in the first place? Even if you do, have YOU taken those steps so fast, thanks to encouragement of realitively anonymous people?

Thanks Miles :thumb:

I really appreciate it.

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Thanks Steve. I agree with you but I also agree with Canopus too. (next post)

I don't however agree with RD, but I think I have already established that I feel nothing else should be said about that.

BTW: I like that bridge of yours. It looks great and even beter next to that water fall!!!:thumb: :thumb:

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Canopus said:
I've commended him in the past for what he's done and I understand that they're some of his first attempts. Let me get one thing clear; I'm not suggesting that anyone should be harsh when offering constructive criticism. "Your model sucks, but here's a way to improve it" is not acceptable. "Your weathering is a good first attempt, but here's some improvements that I would suggest to get it looking really great" is more what I'm talking about.
Being respectful of the fact that it's his first attempt doesn't mean totally wimping out when it comes to constructive criticism. There are ways of offering constructive criticism without dampening enthusiasm or hurting feelings.

I totally agree what you said about the suggestion about the improvements. I am open to any suggestions on my wheathering and I think that I really am improving but I no that I am still not doing everything right. Don't get me wrong, I am not turning on Deano's easy wheathering, I think that this is the best method for me at the moment and probly for a couple of years.

What you said about people commenting just to say it looks good is probly for the most part true, but I think that if you really think that it needs to be improved, you should offer a suggestion in a nice way and not be an ass about it and make it sound like you are the best modeler out there. If you think that you think something needs t be improved and you don't want to offer any suggestions, don't comment at all.

Just my opinions about this subject.

Now I think that this matter is getting a little old, Does anyone else want to just drop the subject and let this thread die or should this keep going on forever and ever??