layout progress & engine pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Hey, no need to lick your wounds just 'cause I don't care for it. I still like seeing pictures of any trains, even those oddballs. :thumb: :thumb:
I wasn't aware of that "Blue Goose" as a C&NW loco, although I have seen a picture of it before: I think as a Baldwin demonstrator. Sorry that I can't get into the Aerotrain, as nice as your model of it looks: it's just too close to a bus for my tastes. Perhaps it'll grow on me, as there was a time when I wasn't that impressed with the appearance opf the Zephyr either. I've since become quite fond of it.

Wayne

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
doctorwayne said:
Hey, no need to lick your wounds just 'cause I don't care for it. I still like seeing pictures of any trains, even those oddballs. :thumb: :thumb:
I wasn't aware of that "Blue Goose" as a C&NW loco, although I have seen a picture of it before: I think as a Baldwin demonstrator. Sorry that I can't get into the Aerotrain, as nice as your model of it looks: it's just too close to a bus for my tastes. Perhaps it'll grow on me, as there was a time when I wasn't that impressed with the appearance opf the Zephyr either. I've since become quite fond of it.

Wayne
doctorwayne, my friend, its quite alright that you don't like the Aerotrain:thumb:. to be honest with you, it wasn't until recently that i took a liking to steamjawdrop ! thats right, i was a die hard diesel and turbine nut until two years ago;) . i have been into UP for a few years, but two years ago i started finding interest in the UP F-E-F's, Challengers and of course the BIG BOYS!:thumb: i am fortunate enough to still have my dad(67) around, he lives 2 miles from me and we still model in his basement:D ...anyways, he is NOT into UP, but bought a Milwaukee Road "pacific". i gotta tell you, after seeing those drivers move, i knew i had to act on my new found liking for UP steam:thumb:. within 2 weeks i had acquired ALL three of my UP steam favorites:D . at the present time i live in a small apartment with my son, and only have a switching layout. i made it so i could switch with ANYTHING from my SD90/43MAC to my H10-44, though NOT prototypical to switch with big diesels, it keeps them from collecting dust:thumb: . as far as my steam goes, my layout is to small for them, but i have been running them at dads on the weekends.:D ...ANYWAYS, i know i like ALOT of "odd" engines that others do not, but hey, some one has to...right?tooth1 perhaps thats one of the reasons i am into UP, they had TONS of odd ball engines. the last pic is NOT an oddball, just my FAVORITE steamer!:thumb: THANKS!, and stay on track!:thumb: :D View attachment 27052 View attachment 27053 View attachment 27054 View attachment 27055 View attachment 27056

Attachments

• up80coal turbine.JPG
    up80coal turbine.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 273
  • cnwupcd01.JPG
    cnwupcd01.JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 271
  • tr_up5033 u50b.JPG
    tr_up5033 u50b.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 268
  • upM10001a.JPG
    upM10001a.JPG
    35.5 KB · Views: 273
  • up-s4012ar.JPG
    up-s4012ar.JPG
    25.4 KB · Views: 274

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Back to the program...

SHEEW!!!...i don't know about you guys, but i have had enough prototypical stuff for the weekend;) . to get back on track with the topic of this thread, here are two of the biggest diesels i have on my UP roster. the first is a DD40X, and the second is a DD35A:thumb:. THANKS!, and stay on track!:D View attachment 27057 View attachment 27058

Attachments

• DD40X.JPG
    DD40X.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 262
  • DD35A.JPG
    DD35A.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 253

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
UP SD40-2 said:
doctorwayne, my friend, its quite alright that you don't like the Aerotrain:thumb:. to be honest with you, it wasn't until recently that i took a liking to steamjawdrop ! thats right, i was a die hard diesel and turbine nut until two years ago;) . i have been into UP for a few years, but two years ago i started finding interest in the UP F-E-F's, Challengers and of course the BIG BOYS!:thumb: i am fortunate enough to still have my dad(67) around, he lives 2 miles from me and we still model in his basement:D ...anyways, he is NOT into UP, but bought a Milwaukee Road "pacific". i gotta tell you, after seeing those drivers move, i knew i had to act on my new found liking for UP steam:thumb:. within 2 weeks i had acquired ALL three of my UP steam favorites:D . at the present time i live in a small apartment with my son, and only have a switching layout. i made it so i could switch with ANYTHING from my SD90/43MAC to my H10-44, though NOT prototypical to switch with big diesels, it keeps them from collecting dust:thumb: . as far as my steam goes, my layout is to small for them, but i have been running them at dads on the weekends.:D ...ANYWAYS, i know i like ALOT of "odd" engines that others do not, but hey, some one has to...right?tooth1 perhaps thats one of the reasons i am into UP, they had TONS of odd ball engines. the last pic is NOT an oddball, just my FAVORITE steamer!:thumb: THANKS!, and stay on track!:thumb: :D View attachment 27052 View attachment 27053 View attachment 27054 View attachment 27055 View attachment 27056

Just so you won't feel embarrassed to be switching with big diesel power, I've seen U.P. switching out industrial tracks in the City Of Industry here in So Cal with Sd70macs and Dash8-44cws.

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Russ Bellinis said:
Just so you won't feel embarrassed to be switching with big diesel power, I've seen U.P. switching out industrial tracks in the City Of Industry here in So Cal with Sd70macs and Dash8-44cws.
WOW!!, THANKS Russ!!:thumb: that makes me feel TONS better! now i WONT feel so bad about switching with my SD70M and Dash-8CW;) :D THANKS Russ!:D View attachment 27059

Attachments

• SD70M.JPG
    SD70M.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 245

BrianK

May 1, 2006
Texas
(See attachment)

Wow... I LOVE that engine! I have a thing for old cars and the front grill on that thing is awesome! What engine is that? I doubt I'll find it in N-scale, but I still must know what that is!

Oh yeah... and I agree... steam rules! My wallet doesn't agree though :-(

My wallet doesn't agree with much at all really...:curse:

Attachments

• aaaaaaa.JPG
    aaaaaaa.JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 241

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
BrianK said:
(See attachment)

Wow... I LOVE that engine! I have a thing for old cars and the front grill on that thing is awesome! What engine is that? I doubt I'll find it in N-scale, but I still must know what that is!
Brian, glad you like the M-10004!:thumb: it was an AWESOME looking engine:thumb:. you wont find it in N scale. it was sold in Brass, HO scale at one time, the makers i am sorry, i cant remember, but was $$$$$$high!:cry: View attachment 27061

Attachments

• M-10004.JPG
    M-10004.JPG
    23.4 KB · Views: 244

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
MilesWestern said:
Switching with your DD40AX...now THAT takes skill! :eek:
MilesWestern, sign1 you are right! that would take skill!:D ...unfortunatly, i built my layout(see page one of this thread) to handle nothing bigger then a SD90/43MAC and one 50' box, so my DD's rarely get used these days:cry:. it stinks because i have put Loksound in the DD40, and MRC Brilliance in the DD35, they both run and sound GREAT! the only time they get used is on Saturdays when my son and i go to visit my dad, his layout is big enough to handle them:thumb: . someday, i WILL have a bigger layout again!!:D

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
While Driving Home...

while driving home from work this evening i happened to catch an SD50 doing some switching. i was lucky enough to have my camera on me, so i pulled over to get a couple shots:D. SHEEW!!, i almost got hit by a truck doing it:eek: ;). hope you guys enjoy the shots i took.tooth1 THANKS, :D View attachment 27080 View attachment 27081

Attachments

• DSC00600.JPG
    DSC00600.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 242
  • DSC00605.JPG
    DSC00605.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 241

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
New Engine!!!

Well, i have just received my new DL-109 in the mail today!!!:thumb: :D MAN IS IT AWESOME!:D i wanted one of these on the first run, but snoozed and lost out on finding one. but lucky me:D, i got one NOW!:thumb: i am going to try a new sound decoder in this engine, the MRC Brillance. i know, i know, you are saying, "hey, i thought you prefer Loksound", well to be honest with you, QSI is my FAVORITE sound decoder, but i REALLY like Loksound, and have installed Loksound in 2/3rds of my engines. the rest of my engines have QSI, Soundtraxx, Digitrax, and one MRC AD370. of all those sound decoders, the MRC AD370 is the worst quality, in my opinion:rolleyes:. HOWEVER, i collect engines, and this one will not get alot of running like most my UP engines do, so i thought i would try something less expensive then Loksound;). two more reasons i am going with MRC Brillance are: it retails for $149.00, and i picked it up for $80.00, AND, it IS MRC's BEST sound decoder, that boasts MANY EXTRAS!:thumb: since i have/put sound decoders in ALL of my engines, i figured i will give the MRC Brillance a try:thumb: :D. i am going to install it after i finish this post, i will let you guys know how it ranks with me later in the week, till then...stay on track!:thumb: THANKS:D View attachment 27094 View attachment 27095 View attachment 27096 View attachment 27097

Attachments

• DL-109.JPG
    DL-109.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 258
  • CNW_DL-109.JPG
    CNW_DL-109.JPG
    34.3 KB · Views: 260
  • Loksound.JPG
    Loksound.JPG
    34.3 KB · Views: 255
  • SETUP_DCC_SOUND.JPG
    SETUP_DCC_SOUND.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 252

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Looking good! Just thought I'd encourage you to put some of your Fairbanks-Morse photos in the Trainspotter I.D. section with notes on spotting features to differentiate any that are similar to others. I haven't looked at the forum yet this morning; so if you already did it, ignore me.

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Ralph said:
Wow!!!! Look at that beauty! Awesome is a good description! What a fine looking locomotive!
Ralph
:D THANKS!, for your nice comments on my NEW DL-109, Ralph and Chessie6459!!:thumb: i have put the MRC Brilliance sound decoder in, but have been working 6 days a week 12hrs a day, so i haven't had time to set up the CV's or run it yet:cry:, BUT, i have 2 days off this weekend:D so i will check it out then:thumb:. **Russ, i kinda feel "honored", that you are asking me to put in some of my FM(prototypical) pics and knowledge on them in the Trainspotters section, THANK YOU!:eek:ops: :D. honestly, i haven't thought about it before, not sure what/ if any FM's anyone would be interested in knowing about. in fact, alot of people in the past have told me they were "ugly" engines:rolleyes:. if i get ANY feedback on this, or time this weekend, perhaps i will put something in there:thumb:, THANKS Russ!...HEY, speaking of Fm's, here is one i haven't posted yet, and to top it off, its on my UP roster!:D this is the ONLY Erie built i have.:D View attachment 27125 View attachment 27126

Attachments

• ERIE FM.JPG
    ERIE FM.JPG
    33.6 KB · Views: 228
  • ERIE FM 1.jpg
    ERIE FM 1.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 227

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
MilesWestern said:
BTW, do they make the 5-axle version of the FM C-liner in HO?
MilesWestern, darn GOOD question!:D , heres what i know about it; Life-Like had a Canadian company that was building some of their engines, when Walther's bought out LL, they dropped the Canadian company, ANYWAYS, this company IS still in business and is making a 5 axle C-Liner!!:thumb: i hear it is due out this year, and will be in Canadian road names ONLY;) . i read this on several forums 4-5 months ago. i even have been on their website to see the prototypes, they looked GREAT!...SADLY, i cant think of the name of the company, nor did i save the link to their website. sorry, thats all i know about it.:thumb:

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Celebration, and THANKS!...

:thumb: :D WOW!!!:thumb: I JUST noticed this thread has 2,025 VIEWS!!!jawdrop , AND...96 POSTS!!!:thumb: :D THANKS GUYS!!!:wave: , I AM STOKED!!!bounce7 I FEEL VERY HONORED to have so MANY views AND posts!:D i really have NO IDEA why this thread has gotten SO BIG, but when i noticed it, it MADE MY DAY!:D I would like to THANK ALL that have posted AND/OR viewed this thread, THANKS!:thumb: :D A SPECIAL THANKS to the regulars that post on THIS thread: MilesWestern, Ralph, Russ Bellinis, Chessie6459, wsor4050, lester perry, AND last, but most certainly NOT LEAST, doctorwayne!!!:thumb: :D THANKS GUYS!!!:wave: :thumb: :D since i am considering this my celebration post, i am going to put these two engines in the spotlight, my Tower55 ES44AC, and #2 OF four on my UP roster= an SD40-2!(#1 of four is on page 1)MY TRADEMARK!!:thumb: :D **AGAIN, THANKS, to ALL that has made this happen!:thumb: till next time...stay on track!!!:D View attachment 27131 View attachment 27132 View attachment 27133

Attachments

• Tower 55.JPG
    Tower 55.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 228
  • Tower 55 ES44AC.JPG
    Tower 55 ES44AC.JPG
    34.4 KB · Views: 230
  • #2 SD40-2.JPG
    #2 SD40-2.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 225

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
UP SD40-2 said:
:**Russ, i kinda feel "honored", that you are asking me to put in some of my FM(prototypical) pics and knowledge on them in the Trainspotters section, THANK YOU!:eek:ops: :D. honestly, i haven't thought about it before, not sure what/ if any FM's anyone would be interested in knowing about. in fact, alot of people in the past have told me they were "ugly" engines:rolleyes:. if i get ANY feedback on this, or time this weekend, perhaps i will put something in there:thumb:, THANKS Russ!

I think a good start would be to post the F-M units that model manufactourers have made models of.

After "sleepling" on this post, I've changed my mind. I think you should post pics of every model of F-M units that you have. Some people may think they are ugly, but other's will like them. I think the Cf-7 is one of the most ungainly, ugly locomotives ever made, but that is why I want to model the L.A. Junction RR. I want to run Cf-7's. We have people on this board of all sorts of interests and tastes, and we have some excellent modelers who migh want to try to scratch build a F-M unit that isn't available commercially.

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
I agree with Russ: whatever you've got on FMs, please post it. While many of them were ungainly, they're still an important part of locomotive history. Both CNR and CPR rostered quite a few of them, so there's probably a pretty good interest in them up here.
Unless there was a name change after Walthers picked up LifeLike, the company here is LifeLike Canada. I had heard that they were going to do the five axle version of the C-Liner in CNR and NYC colours. The CPR had quite a few FM (CLC) locos, but no 5-axle C-Liners.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.