layout progress & engine pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russ Bellinis

The most expensive part about coming out with a new plastic model is the tooling. If the tooling was bought before the buy out by Walther's they are in for the cost of the tooling, so expect to see them follow through with the models.

MilesWestern

I think there was an MR article published between 2-5years ago about making an FM C-liner (5-axle) from the sub-quality AHM/IHC model, the end result was stunning and very beautiful. Check it out!

UP SD40-2

Layout Update...

WOW!, now all you guys are ganging up on me to get some FM info into the "trainspotters" sectionsign1, OK, OK, i will try and have something up by weekends end;). **NOW, i have been trying to get some work done on my last industry on the layout: "Tri-Star Industries". i have been working 12hr days, 6 days a week for the last two weeks, but somehow i have managed to make some progress:thumb:. just to show you all that i haven't been neglecting the layout, here are a couple teaser pics of how i am coming along on it. KEEP IN MIND, i am NOT EVEN CLOSE to finishing "Tri-Star Industries", the pics below are just progress shots of it now. i have TONS more to do to this industry;) :D. this is the only industry on the layout that has two tracks to serve it, one on each side. as i get farther along i will post more. THANKS, & stay on track!:thumb: :D View attachment 27167 View attachment 27168

Attachments

• T1.JPG
    T1.JPG
    24.1 KB · Views: 208
  • T2.JPG
    T2.JPG
    27.9 KB · Views: 211

UP SD40-2

MilesWestern said:
What are those fences made from, photo-etched brass? They're stunning!
Miles, THANKS!, and you are close, the fence is stainless steel photo etched, from Micro Structures:thumb:. **brakie. THANK YOU!, for the complement!:thumb: , ALL the kind words you guys give me really gives me the drive to keep going, THANKS!:D

UP SD40-2

Todays Progress...

**AGAIN, I AM NOT FINISHED with "Tri-Star Industries", but have made a little more progress tonight;) :D. sorry about the small pics, but its hard to get all of the plant in one shot. i haven't even shown the back side of it yet, not that far on that part, and its just to big. Hey, we ALL use selective compression, i could have put 10 industries on the layout and had tons of switching possibilities, i chose NOT to go that route:D, instead, i wanted to try and make it a little more believable, with just 2 industries that would REALLY require daily rail traffic. hence, i chose "United Transfer", witch is kinda a modern day "team track" if you will(see pics on page 2), AND "Tri-Star Industries", a huge factory that ships and receives enough items to have TWO service tracks:thumb: . you guys have seen the pics, i HOPE my switching layout is conveying what i would like it to:confused: :D. keep in mind, the layout is only 8'x30'':eek:ops:(see pics on page 1). the next time i post i should have the receiving warehouse behind the main plant done:D. THANKS!:D View attachment 27181 View attachment 27183 View attachment 27182

Attachments

• TS.JPG
    TS.JPG
    21.7 KB · Views: 231
  • TS1.JPG
    TS1.JPG
    24.2 KB · Views: 233
  • TS2.JPG
    TS2.JPG
    31.1 KB · Views: 231

Herc Driver

Someone is going to open that door and walk out to their car...I'm sure of it...any moment now... Wow that is realistic. Very very impressive work.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
UP SD40-2 i HOPE my switching layout is conveying what i would like it to:confused: :D. [QUOTE said:
I would have to say that it SURE IS!!!! :thumb: What I really like about your layout is that it conveys a very real looking sense of every day railroading most people could instantly relate to from scenes they've seen everywhere across the US. I also like the use of larger indusries that get a lot of traffic. Nice photos as usual too! Thanks for giveing us a look. :wave:
Ralph

UP SD40-2

Thanks Guys!

Herc Driver said:
Someone is going to open that door and walk out to their car...I'm sure of it...any moment now... Wow that is realistic. Very very impressive work.
Herc Driver and Ralph:wave:, WOW!!!, THANKS GUYS!:thumb: YOU guys have given me the ultimate in complements, THANK YOU!!!:thumb: :D **Ralph, here is a shot i WAS going to put in your "replicating" thread, but i didn't feel it was good enough:(, still, i took the time to take the pic, so instead of wasting it, I'll put it here. THANKS AGAIN GUYS!:D View attachment 27201 View attachment 27202

Attachments

• rep3a.JPG
    rep3a.JPG
    27.4 KB · Views: 211
  • rep3.JPG
    rep3.JPG
    30.7 KB · Views: 212

Herc Driver

Just re-read your thoughts about engine manufacturers...I'd add that my LifeLike Proto2K GP60 ran and looked out of the box every bit as good as my higher priced Kato and Atlas products. JMHO. I don't have the heart to weather it yet...still too good looking in crisp, clean colors. (I know...I'll build a wash rack and just park it there...that way it will look like it's supposed to be there.) I enclosed an over-flashed picture from when I first started the layout (pardon the cardboard bridge work). But the GP60 came out of the box with darkened grill work and other small but important painted details.

Attachments

• Copy of P1170088.JPG
    Copy of P1170088.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 213
LOL I don't think you are far off not wanting to weather that GP60 demonstrator-- While GM was using it as a demo engine, it WAS kept pretty much spotless clean because its appearance is indeed important when you are trying to make a sale.

(You might also want to swap out those older Blomberg-Bs for newer Phase-II Blomberg-M's.)

It's only after they are leased out and CSX put them to work as hard-hauling road locos when they started getting weathered:
DSCF4306.JPG

UP SD40-2

Herc Driver said:
Just re-read your thoughts about engine manufacturers...I'd add that my LifeLike Proto2K GP60 ran and looked out of the box every bit as good as my higher priced Kato and Atlas products. JMHO.
Herc Driver:wave:, thats one FINE looking engine you have there!;):D, it's sitting in some NICE surroundings too!:thumb: :D. I AM IN TOTAL AGREEANCE with you on the quality that is in P2K engines:thumb:. as i stated(see the post on page 4 of this thread), i feel P2K IS every bit AS GOOD as the other's you have mentioned, AND...BLI and Tower55:D. if you buy ANY of those brands with sound, they are ALL within $20 of each other;). Bottom line is, IMHO, the quality is about the same in them ALL!(that we have mentioned):D **Herc, again, nice pic, and THANKS!:D,...stay on track man.:thumb: :D

cnw1961

Herc Driver, a wash rack could be the ultimate solution for all those engines on our layouts we don’t have the heart to weather, but could be a little crowded around there.

UP, you are building a very nice switching layout. Your Tri-Star Industries looks very realistic, well done. :thumb:

doctorwayne

I agree with Kurt, Tri-star is a very plausible industry that almost everybody has seen, either in their home town, or on TV or in a movie. The truck bays, the parking lot and the fencing all contribute to make it look "right". The good-looking locomotives don't hurt, either.
By the way, nice job on that UP E-unit.

Wayne

UP SD40-2

cnw1961 said:
UP, you are building a very nice switching layout. Your Tri-Star Industries looks very realistic, well done.
THANK YOU VERY MUCH!, cnw1961!!!:wave::thumb::D well, i planned on trying to do some more work on Tri-Star Industries, but opted to run some switching moves tonight instead:D. everything ran smooth as silk tonight, so i REALLY had a good time:thumb::D. this was the FIRST time i ran my WSOR engine EVER:thumb:, Loksound decoders do wonders for Athearn engines, they seem to run a 100x better!;) here are the three engines i ran tonight; UP SD45, UP patched SP SD40-T2, and my WSOR SD40-2(did you really think i would have gotten the GP version over the SD40-2hamrtooth1) BTW, here where i live in the Beloit/Janesville area, its VERY COMMON to see UP and WSOR running on the same rails:thumb:. THANKS:D View attachment 27216 View attachment 27217 View attachment 27218

Attachments

• UP SD45.JPG
    UP SD45.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 190
  • SP.JPG
    SP.JPG
    30.2 KB · Views: 190
  • WSOR.JPG
    WSOR.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 185

UP SD40-2

Thank You!!!

doctorwayne said:
I agree with Kurt, Tristar is a very plausible industry that almost everybody has seen, either in their home town, or on TV or in a movie. The truck bays, the parking lot and the fencing all contribute to make it look "right". The good-looking locomotives don't hurt, either.
By the way, nice job on that UP E-unit.Wayne
doctorwayne!!!:wave::D, WOW!!!, THANK YOU!, those complements coming from YOU, REALLY means ALOT!!!:D **as far as the E unit goes, i have the B unit that goes with it, it too is just as detailed up as the A unit, just haven't posted it yet. you can see the front of the B unit in that pic though. THANKS again doctorwayne!:D (this message was brought to you from UP SD40-2, member #5025 of the doctorwayne fan club)

UP SD40-2

E9a &E9b

i know you guys have seen enough of my E9a, and i PROMISE this will be the LAST time i post it;)tooth1. seems every time i post it someone makes a nice comment about it, thank you to those that have:thumb:. this is the FIRST time i have posted it with the B unit behind it. i have spent alot of time on these two engines to get them as close to the real UP engines as i can. wish i could get a closer pic of them together so you could appreciate all the detail i have put in BOTH, but they are so long together, this is the best i can do with the camera i have:(. as i have said before, i would like to put my WHOLE UP fleet on here eventually:D...so here is the E9a, WITH the b unit. View attachment 27246 View attachment 27247

Attachments

• DSC01051.JPG
    DSC01051.JPG
    27.5 KB · Views: 183
  • E9a&b.JPG
    E9a&b.JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 180
Status
Not open for further replies.