layout progress & engine pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
The detail is amazing...but when I look at the other and much better layouts on this forum (compared to mine), I see my need to weather them a bit to get the "new-ness" off. (I'm just working up the nerve.)

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Herc & Josh:wave::D . Herc, OUTSTANDING excursion train!:eek: :thumb: i think you just like to post your SD70-phase-3 because you know i would love to have that engine in HO;)...sadly, they DON'T make them in HO:(. you just twist the knife in my side when you post that AWESOME engine, Hercsign1 . BTW, i like the scenes you have on your layout, and your modeling is WELL DONE:thumb: . NICE layout Herc!:thumb: :D **Josh, THANKS for posting that link:thumb: , NICE layout pics!:thumb: i was into N scale for just over 3yrs;) . i think i have posted a couple pics of it on here:confused: , i might post a couple pics of some of it later;) . **Herc & Josh, DON'T be afraid to weather those carssign1 , #1 thing to remember: LIGHT MIST of gray primer, that is the key;). i suggest holding a piece of paper 2-3' away and doing a few "test" sprays first:D ...and Josh, my method is so simple, it IS, fool proof:thumb: sign1 THANKS guys!:D -Deano

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Rancho Santa Margarita, Cali.
I just got back from Home Depot and Michals with the materials needed to start that wheather job. Maybe I will get to it this weekend. Thanks for the idea of the paper test first. It would be nice to get used to it before I start going at it.:D :D

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
Deano - No stabbin' intended! I found a pic of that UP excursion train on the web and the SD flag unit was pulling the lead (actually, there was two flag units on that train). I just think it makes a sharp looking passenger train. Not as classic as an F or E unit, but good looking to me.

Trucklover - When I tried the spray can painting method I used a spray can "trigger" bought at a home improvement store...it gave much better control of the can and saved painted fingers. I also painted my cars inside a large cardboard box, outside in the sun so I could see really well and not be effected by the fumes. The large box kept all the paint from flying all over the place too.

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
UP MP15DC is HERE!

Well folks, my UP MP15DC has arrived:D...sadly, i am i little disappointed with the sound:( . thats right folks, for the FIRST TIME EVER, i am displeased with QSI:eek: . heres my thoughts on it; until this engine, i have ALWAYS thought QSI had the BEST sound of ALL the sound decoders. this engine's sound is VERY quiet, i have adjusted CV#51 to the MAX volume 127, and STILL, it is not that loud. not only is it NOT loud enough, but the sound quality isn't great either, kinda muffled:( . i opened the engine up to see it wires were touching the speakers, nope, no wires touching. i have about 10 engines with QSI, and LOVE the sound in all but this, oh well, guess you cant have ice cream for EVERY meal;) . MY ADVICE: if you want this engine, buy it cheaper WITHOUT sound, and put a LokSound or MRC Brillance sound decoder in it:thumb: . THE engine runs GREAT! **AS far as the looks of the engine, GREAT QUALITY!!:thumb: :D , HOWEVER, it is NOT 100% correct to the way UP has them setup;) . one thing i could NOT live with was the placement of the red and white stripes on the rear, TOTALLY WRONG:eek: . I am basing this off of about 17 pics of different UP MP15DC's, not one of them had the stripes were Atlas put them. i remedied this buy airbrushing over their stripes, and putting decals i have in the correct spot:thumb: . OTHER THINGS I HAVE DONE TO IT are: airbrushed Detail's West brand "all weather windows", and installed them, put a firecracker antenna where Atlas said to put the horns, placed the horns in the UP correct spot, added a Details West "rotating beacon" to the roof, added 9 decals to the engine, detailed the hoses, and weathered the fuel, airtanks and running gear:thumb: :D THE FIRST 2 PICS are of the engine RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX;) . THE rest of the pics are shots of the engine AFTER i had completed it:thumb: :D -Deano View attachment 28717 View attachment 28718 View attachment 28719 View attachment 28720 View attachment 28721 CONTINUED...

Attachments

• outbox01.JPG
    outbox01.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 101
  • outbox102.JPG
    outbox102.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 99
  • MP15DCFRONT03.JPG
    MP15DCFRONT03.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 100
  • MP15DCFRONT104.JPG
    MP15DCFRONT104.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 98
  • MP15DC005.JPG
    MP15DC005.JPG
    33.6 KB · Views: 96

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
My hat's off to you Deano...that's some nice added details you installed. The weathering looks good too (very nice fuel spill look btw...I need to add that to my engines). Good looking hoses too.

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
THANKS Herc!!!:D :D the fuel tank oil spill is EASY to do with India ink(or)Poly Scale "engine black" mixed with rubbing alcohol:thumb:. BTW, i liked your cardboard box idea:thumb:. **Josh, glad to here you are going to try weathering those cars! GOOD LUCK!:thumb: :D -Deano

caliban

May 3, 2006
Lower-Saxony, GERMANY
Hi Deano,

it's my first post on this thread, but I check the news in this thread everytime I'm on The Gauge.
Your rolling stock is great and I've got a lot of information about sound decoders! I was thinking about getting the MP15 with QSI sound too, but now I know I've to buy it without. Fortunately my LHS has a Loksound programmer and will program the sound files at no extra cost!

Looking forward to read the next 374 posts on this great thread,

Tobias

cn nutbar

Dec 4, 2005
happy birthday to your dad

instead of a card,i'm sending a picture---hope your father also likes c-liners---best regards,nutbarballoon6

250306006.jpg

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
nutbar, WOW!!!:D THANKS SO MUCH!, my dad REALLY thought that was nice of you:thumb: . THANK YOU, nutbar!:D :D :D -Deano

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Herc, Kurt, and Josh, THANKS GUYS!!!:D :D :D except for the sound, this is my new favorite engine!:thumb: (till i get a new one, or do somthing to another one:rolleyes:tooth1 ). :D -Deano

Status
Not open for further replies.