layout progress & engine pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

UP SD40-2

Over 400 Posts,thanks Guys!!

Wayne, nutbar, Josh, Miles, Tobias, Kurt, Herc and Russ:wave: THANK YOU!, for your support on my weekly pic idea!!:thumb: :D i thought it would be a GREAT IDEA!!!:D , and after hearing from ALL you guys, now i KNOW it is!!!:thumb: originally i thought it would be a GREAT addition to THIS thread, to give it some variety, some new flavor, some more life;) . HOWEVER, Russ and Herc bring up some good points on putting it elsewhere;) . what do the rest of you guys think about this? i am open for suggestions on that matter, and some ideas on rules. example: how many pics from each person for the weekly pic theme? and exactly what categories would be fair and fun for us? i have my ideas;) , but am curious to get others opinions, should be FUN:thumb: , NOT a chore. Please let me know what you guys think;) . THANKS!!:D -Deano

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
I think that it should have it's own thread too. I have some things that I could post.

O and I just started wheathering for the first time about an hour ago. You were right, IT IS FOOL PROOF. I started out on a 40' container and loved the results. Then I moved to a Athearn 54' 4-bay Centerflow Hopper lettered for Shell Plastics, It looks so much better I think. I also did a lackanawa 50' box car and a CSX airslide covered hopper. They so good to me. I will post some pics tomarro morning to soo what you think of them.:D :D

Thanks so much for that tutorial Deano:thumb: :thumb: :) :)

Russ Bellinis

UP SD40-2 said:
Wayne, nutbar, Josh, Miles, Tobias, Kurt, Herc and Russ:wave: THANK YOU!, for your support on my weekly pic idea!!:thumb: :D i thought it would be a GREAT IDEA!!!:D , and after hearing from ALL you guys, now i KNOW it is!!!:thumb: originally i thought it would be a GREAT addition to THIS thread, to give it some variety, some new flavor, some more life;) . HOWEVER, Russ and Herc bring up some good points on putting it elsewhere;) . what do the rest of you guys think about this? i am open for suggestions on that matter, and some ideas on rules. example: how many pics from each person for the weekly pic theme? and exactly what categories would be fair and fun for us? i have my ideas;) , but am curious to get others opinions, should be FUN:thumb: , NOT a chore. Please let me know what you guys think;) . THANKS!!:D -Deano

Since it isn't a contest as such and in keeping with my previous suggestion that we use the thread to put some pictures in the "Trainspotter I.D." forum, I would suggest you name a model of the week, and posting of pics would be unlimited in number. As always the more pictures the better!

cnw1961

Russ is right, the more pictures, the better. But you might consider to put this thread in the "Photgraphy..." forum. I think it will get more attention there.
Miles, interesting article. The S1 will be a real attraction, much better than to end on the scrap yard.

cn nutbar

hello dean and fellow train nuts---i really like your ideas.i feel if it was posted weekly as a new thread it may give those idividuals who are not on a cable network better access to the pictures---can you imagine how long it would take to view your entire thread if you had a computer using a phone connectionwall1 wall1

above all,lets make this fun for everyone--- nutbar

spitfire

Wow - I just caught up to this excellent thread and all of your excellent UP motive power Dean. What a great read and a lot of fun!!!

As far as the idea for an engine of the week thread, Photography would be the place for it. Trainspotting is for prototypes and is intended as reference. Of course I am assuming you meant model engine of the week?

Anyway, I say go ahead and do it. I would have started the thread right now except that I think Dean deserves to do the honours.

Val

UP SD40-2

1st, THANK YOU Val! for your VERY KIND words and actions:D . 2nd, I PERSONALLY:D , would like to THANK ALL of YOU that have shown interest AND support on the "weekly pic thread" idea!, THANK YOU!:thumb: :D i have sent Val the OK to start the thread:thumb: . get your cameras ready folks(mine IS!:D ), and be on the watch for the thread:thumb: :D THANKS!:D -Deano

caliban

Hi all,
my opinion is less rules and more photos! Let's get all in one thread, I'm voting for Photography too and there should be one rule, every post should have a engine pic in it! Let's create a thread that will break the sound barrier!!! What about 1000+ posts?

Tobias

spitfire

Well guys, at Dean's insistence I have started the thread. It's not meant to be a record-breaker, since there will be a new one each week. Engine of the Week - new thread each week - makes sense to me. And by the way - anyone can start a new one for the new week and whoever starts gets to pick the category. :D

The new thread for this week is http://www.the-gauge.com/showthread.php?t=21322.

Val

UP SD40-2

THANKS Val!:D looks like its off to a GREAT START!:thumb: OUTSTANDING IDEA, letting the one that starts the weekly thread get to pic the engine type;) . WELL DONE!:thumb: THANKS!:D -Deano

spitfire

You're very welcome Deano. Hmmmm..... I wonder if we're going to see any UP switchers on that thread. :D

Val

UP SD40-2

TruckLover said:
...O and I just started wheathering for the first time about an hour ago. You were right, IT IS FOOL PROOF. I started out on a 40' container and loved the results. Then I moved to a Athearn 54' 4-bay Centerflow Hopper lettered for Shell Plastics, It looks so much better I think. I also did a lackanawa 50' box car and a CSX airslide covered hopper. They so good to me. I will post some pics tomarro morning to soo what you think of them.:D :D

Thanks so much for that tutorial Deano:thumb: :thumb: :) :)
WOW! I AM GLAD TO HEAR THIS!!!:D FANTASTIC JOSH!!!:thumb: i CANT WAIT to see the pics;) . :D -Deano

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Deano, here are some pictures of my first one's: Go to the thread I started on them: http://www.the-gauge.com/showthread.php?t=21321

The pics.

First is a 50' Erie Lackawanna
Second is a CSX Airslide Covered Hopper
Third is a BNSF Bethgon Coalporter
Fourth is a 48' Ribbed Side Union Pacific Container

Attachments

• boxcar2.jpg
    boxcar2.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 85
  • csx2.jpg
    csx2.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 82
  • BNSF 3.jpg
    BNSF 3.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 88
  • up2.jpg
    up2.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 82

UP SD40-2

Great Job Josh!

OUTSTANDING JOSH!:thumb: :D that BNSF and UP container are slap FANTASTIC!, those containers in your thread just KNOCKED MY SOCKS OFF!:eek: :thumb: :D now you have some well used freight;) :D . they ALL turned out GREAT!:thumb: **folks, DON'T FORGET,be sure to do them in various degrees of filth, as not all cars are REAL dirty. sometimes less, IS MORE;) . the more you do, the better they get, practice DOES, make perfect:thumb: . GREAT job Josh, and THANK YOU for posting them:D -Deano View attachment 28836 View attachment 28837 View attachment 28838 View attachment 28839 View attachment 28840

Attachments

• 1h.JPG
    1h.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 79
  • 2h.JPG
    2h.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 82
  • 3h.JPG
    3h.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 80
  • 4h.JPG
    4h.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 80
  • 5h.JPG
    5h.JPG
    31.8 KB · Views: 80

UP SD40-2

Alternate Weathering Method

Hey folks:wave:, "Deano's Down AND Dirty" easy weathering method(see page 23 of this thread;) )was intended to show how easy weathering could be:thumb: . HOWEVER, it IS NOT intended for EVERY car. some cars, like hoppers that haul cement, grain, flour etc., wouldn't normally be real grimy;) , OR, some cars/engines you might want to make the paint look faded on. sorry i don't have good pics of this, as i keep my hoppers at dads, i just don't have a use for them on my switching layout, but i will tell you how to do them:thumb: . OK, 1st- i use Polly Scale "reefer white", YOU could use ANY water based white paint, i mix about 2 tablespoons of the white, with about a pint of 70% rubbing alcohol. you might want to use more/less;) . you would apply/take off this solution the SAME WAY as i described in my Easy Weathering post(p23). lay the car on its side, apply the white/alcohol solution to the whole side of the car. take it off using a paper towel going in DOWN strokes, NOT sideways, DOWNWARD STROKES;) . let the car dry, you can do this as many times as it takes, till you get the look you desire for the car:thumb: . after the car has dried, and you are happy with it, put 2-3 coats of Dull Cote on it, and you are done!:thumb: :D below is an engine i used this method on to make the paint look faded. sorry they are NOT great pics, and i did use a little of my grimy solution after it, so its Not A GREAT example of this method, but its all i have pics of this method at this timetooth1 . i hope some of you will find this "alternate method" useful:thumb: . till next time...stay on track:D-Deano View attachment 28862 View attachment 28863 View attachment 28864 View attachment 28865

Attachments

• patched run1.JPG
    patched run1.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 71
  • SP2.JPG
    SP2.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 74
  • sp patched3.JPG
    sp patched3.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 73
  • sp4t4.JPG
    sp4t4.JPG
    32.9 KB · Views: 74

doctorwayne

Nice effect, Dean, but were any of the SP units that clean at the time of the Union Pacific takeover?;) Or did Uncle Pete run 'em through the wash rack?:rolleyes: By the way, I like your "patch" paint job, too.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.