layout progress & engine pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
caliban said:
Hi Deano,

it's my first post on this thread, but I check the news in this thread everytime I'm on The Gauge.
Your rolling stock is great and I've got a lot of information about sound decoders! I was thinking about getting the MP15 with QSI sound too, but now I know I've to buy it without. Fortunately my LHS has a Loksound programmer and will program the sound files at no extra cost!

Looking forward to read the next 374 posts on this great thread,

Tobias
Tobias:wave:, THANKS for posting on this thread!:D feel free to "pop in" ANYTIME!:thumb: glad you have found some things of interest and help on here;) . LokSound is a GREAT choice for sound decoders!:thumb: FOR THE RECORD, the engines i have LokSound in, ARE MY BEST RUNNERS!!:thumb: :D i STRONGLY feel NO ONE beats LokSound for performance:thumb: . KEEP IN MIND THOUGH...thats just, MY opinion;)tooth1. THANK YOU for the GREAT complements :D -Deano

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
I really like your new locomotive, Dean. Back in the days when I had lots of diesels, this was the one model for which I kept waiting. Good thing I wasn't holding my breath!
While I waited, I went ahead and built four SW1200RSs, a prototype quite common here in Canada. I didn't bother with the light arrangement and extended range fuel tanks, available from Juneco as a detailing kit. The models are Athearn SW7s, I think: at that time, Athearn was selling them as SW1500s :rolleyes: . Mine are all remotored, and have extra weight added. I changed out the switcher trucks for four-wheel Flexicoils: very smooth running and great pullers. No room inside for sound, even if I wanted it.

100_5390.jpg

Wayne

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Thanks, Miles. I looked up that picture because of Dean's comment on the all-weather windows, as I was going to post the picture to show them on my units. Imagine my surprise to see that I hadn't installed them!:eek:ops: I think that they're lying around here somewhere, so I'll have to post a new photo after they're installed (and after I get a new computer, so that I can retrieve the photo from the camera).
Those numbers came about because I didn't have a herald for the cab side, and I thought that just a smaller number, either on the cream or the green, would have been unsuitable. The paint scheme is based on the scheme used on the prototype TH&B, which used their herald on the side of the cab. I substituted green for their maroon, and, of course, my own roadname and details. In retrospect, I wish that I'd placed the roadname a little bit higher on the side of the hood, rather than centred on the unlouvered space, as the handrails obscure it somewhat. Paint is Floquil, the large cab numbers were from a Letraset Mini Pack, and the roadname was done with C-D-S alphabets. (The dry transfers were used as masks, in order to get the colour of the lettering to match the paint scheme.)
I don't have a picture of a TH&B switcher, but here's one of their Geeps. Lettering was done the same way, although the herald was done with a brush and a fairly steady hand. Lettering sets were not available for these locos at the time they were done.

100_5472.jpg

Wayne

cn nutbar

Dec 4, 2005
hello everyone---hey dean,i really like the latest addition to your already impressive collection.miles and wayne,i have a shot of a th&b switcher which show similarities with the grand valley units

sunday002.jpg

2003016.jpg

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Miles, I LIKE IT!!:thumb: , cant wait to see them lettered!!!:thumb: :D . ** Wayne & nutbar, truly AWESOME engines!!!:thumb: :D , i LOVE to see you guys engines!!:thumb: the DETAIL and paint on them ARE IMPECCABLE!!:thumb: :D Wayne, the first pic you posted, with the switcher, just slap looks REAL! I swear that guy is going to move;):D . **cripes guys, everyone is posting their switchers and old Geeps, kinda feel left out(looks over at UP collection of 35 engines), the oldest switcher i have is the MP15DC, and i only have 2 Geeps:eek: :eek:ops: , a GP40, and the oldest one is a GP30:eek:ops: . guess I'm more of an SD guytooth1 . HEY!! JUST GOT AN IDEA!:D what would you guys think if i started a weekly "Post Your..." to this thread? you know, like "Post Your Alco" week, or "Post Your Steamer" week, etc. ANYONE COULD JOIN IN!!!:thumb: ANY thoughts on this:confused: , i think it would be AWESOME, not a contest really, just post your(insert engine here)week:D . let me know if you guys like the idea, or if its one of Deano's flop ideastooth1 . THANKS!-Deano View attachment 28776 View attachment 28777

Attachments

• UP MP15DC.JPG
    UP MP15DC.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 86
  • UP GEEP 30.JPG
    UP GEEP 30.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 91

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
TruckLover said:
Sounds like a plan to me.:thumb: :thumb:
THANKS Josh!:D , well, thats ONE for the idea:thumb: . lets see if ANYONE else thinks it might be a good idea, or if its just another "lame brain" idea of minetooth1 . to be fair i think it should be pretty general, examples: ALCO, EMD, BALDWIN, FM, and GE for the Diesels, and put in a Steamer week, and maybe a Switcher week. NOT A CONTEST, just a chance to post a pic of your favorite engine in the weeks engine type theme;) . EXAMPLE: EMD week, you could post a pic of ANY EMD you have that is your favorite:thumb: . you might not have an engine to post every week, take Baldwin week for example, i don't have one:((not in UP anywaytooth1 ), but i still would love to see what you guys have:thumb: :D . ANYWAYS, just a thought, not a big deal, its OK either way;)...i'm easytooth1 . THANKS!:D -Deano

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Hey, Dean, I think that it's a great idea :thumb: :thumb: , even though I've got a pretty limited roster and no new pictures to post until I get a new computer.:cry:

Wayne

caliban

May 3, 2006
Lower-Saxony, GERMANY
As a loco nut (having more locos than other rolling stock):

YES!!!!!!!!!

That's a great idea!
And not to forget GMD, Lima, Paducah Shops, Boise/MPI, Alstom, Bombardier, ASEA, ....

Tobias

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I like your idea. I won't have much to post, but I like to look! I would suggest that you don't add it to this thread. I think it should be started as a new thread. I think it would be even better if it was done as a series of new threads in the "Trainspotter I.D." forum to give that section a jump start as well.

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
I like it! Honestly, I get a lot of ideas from seeing (not just reading) various weathering and detailing techniques from the pictures others post. I think it'd be a great idea to have everyone/anyone post a pic of their favorite engine/car/road/building whatever. All of us have that one (or maybe more) thing that is really liked or was really built well. Why not share it? Maybe that thread is needed...maybe group "like" items together ("all EMD" or "only F-units" you get the idea). I know I've been inspired to improve my layout just by looking at the pic's of other fine layouts shown right here.

Status
Not open for further replies.