Full hulls without too many tears

Discussion in 'Ship & Watercraft Models' started by barry, Feb 12, 2007.

1. Clashster

Clashster Member

Looks great, Barry! Much more impressive than a waterline! And, man those blades look huge!

2. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

Wotcher, bazzer!

You might hate doing the propellers but they came out great! I prefer waterline hulls, but this build shows why full hulls are spectacular models. Great job on the mast ladder, mate!

What is so impressive about this build is you are building it from scratch...truly a extraordinary build.

3. barry

barry Active Member

Gearing revisited

Seeing Bob's latest dazzle destroyers made me go back and give the Gearing a new coat of paint actually it should be on a Sumner class so it is not historically accurate fun though.

Attached Files:

4. eibwarrior

eibwarrior Member

That's great Barry. I love the dazzle schemes of 1944.

I think it makes a model, especially a card model, very challenging.

Great job!
  5. barry

barry Active Member

Added the turrets just to check again they are made 120 gsm (good quality copy paper) and are butt jointed together made stable by the floor plate and mounting 120 gsm + 160 gsm card seems to work. That is really my experiment over everything else is now one colour. Some 20mm and another two 40 mm quads.

Attached Files:

6. airbob

airbob Member

railing production method

I have loved to see your progress on this thread!....you are really working at a "feverish" pace, mate!....Your destroyers are just superb!!! I have for sometime wanted to tackle the "problem" of making 1:400 rails for my "little" ships...and think I may use a technique that I seem to have heard about where you use pins that have thread or some other material to "make" the railing to give the vertical distance to the rails and then "weave" the vertical surfaces using pins affixed at this distance....after this is done...superglue or some other fixative is painted on this thread....and then it is "cut" to give the railing that you use....but I have never tried this process....anyone out there ever tried this?:p
  7. eibwarrior

eibwarrior Member

Looks great Barry.

There are not too many commercial models of tin cans with dazzle scheme on them.

You're doing a great job portraying them.
  8. barry

barry Active Member

40mm quad AA

40 mm quad mounting small pics so you can't see the faults (hopefully) 3rd pic is about actual size. Got to get Airbob to teach me how to roll tiny cones for barrel ends.

Attached Files:

9. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

DANG! Now thats some detail :)
  10. eibwarrior

eibwarrior Member

Barrels at that size can be tricky Barry. I always chicken out and go with styrenne round. :rolleyes:

That's some pretty good detail on the quads. I've seen some commercial designs that "gloss over" the quads and don't include as much detail as yours.

As always Barry... Keep up the good work.