Full hulls without too many tears

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Excellent Barry. Those colors look pretty close to me. The haze gray and black are right on for sure. I'm sure allignment of color lines is going to be the real challenge.

I've never done a dazzle pattern on a card model, so I'm sure it will be a real test of ability.

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Excellent Barry. Those colors look pretty close to me. The haze gray and black are right on for sure. I'm sure allignment of color lines is going to be the real challenge.

I've never done a dazzle pattern on a card model, so I'm sure it will be a real test of ability.

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Ships ladders

i don't mind the fact that the ship rails I produce are overlays but I have never been able to produce good ladders by this method. This is my latest try I stuck a piece of double sided heavy duty sticky tape to an old piece of steel rule quite useful because of the built in measurement. It does sort of cut out the fact my hands shake at this level.

I cut the rungs way over size and carefully stuck them hard against the first side of the ladder and held them in place with a popsicle stick as well and soldered the first side. Then I cut the rungs to length with a Stanley blade butted the other side up to the cut rails and then holding the first side and rungs down with the stick soldered them together. Please forgive the result it's only my second try and there is a definate knack to it. However in place on the ship it don't look too bad.

The reason for this piece of madness is there is a ladder all the way up the front of the foremast on the Gearing.

If anyone has any hints I would appreciate it

P1010656.jpg
P1010657.jpg

P1010659.jpg
P1010661.jpg

Thanks for the comments Elb.

The trick with razor blades works a treat I tried to use the blade to hold down the ladder bits but I ended up soldering it to the steps !

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Ships ladders

i don't mind the fact that the ship rails I produce are overlays but I have never been able to produce good ladders by this method. This is my latest try I stuck a piece of double sided heavy duty sticky tape to an old piece of steel rule quite useful because of the built in measurement. It does sort of cut out the fact my hands shake at this level.

I cut the rungs way over size and carefully stuck them hard against the first side of the ladder and held them in place with a popsicle stick as well and soldered the first side. Then I cut the rungs to length with a Stanley blade butted the other side up to the cut rails and then holding the first side and rungs down with the stick soldered them together. Please forgive the result it's only my second try and there is a definate knack to it. However in place on the ship it don't look too bad.

The reason for this piece of madness is there is a ladder all the way up the front of the foremast on the Gearing.

If anyone has any hints I would appreciate it

P1010656.jpg
P1010657.jpg

P1010659.jpg
P1010661.jpg

Thanks for the comments Elb.

The trick with razor blades works a treat I tried to use the blade to hold down the ladder bits but I ended up soldering it to the steps !

Maurice

Jan 16, 2004
I tried to use the blade to hold down the ladder bits but I ended up soldering it to the steps !
So it turns out the blades are in greater danger from you than you are from them. :grin:
For the ladders perhaps wind a stick in the same way as for the rails. (no I don't have shares in fuse wire)

Maurice

Jan 16, 2004
I tried to use the blade to hold down the ladder bits but I ended up soldering it to the steps !
So it turns out the blades are in greater danger from you than you are from them. :grin:
For the ladders perhaps wind a stick in the same way as for the rails. (no I don't have shares in fuse wire)

mpakier

Feb 12, 2007
Hello

I was making a ladder in my Ambrose ship.

Here you can see the ladder made from paper.

Or you can make a hybrid where the vertical parts (sorry for the name
but I don't know how to call it in english) are made from steel wire
and the rungs from paper (or opposite as you wish). I have a picture
here that I did not used in my Ambrose thread.

I think that the idea is clearly shown on the picture. You cut out the
rungs from paper using a knife. It is really doable try and you will see.
Then you glue the wires in right places. I think that it is also possible
to make it whole from wires (but I didn't try). You make a square
hole in a piece of paper and glue the rungs to the paper on both sides
of the hole. Then you glue the vertical wires to the rungs.

mpakier

Feb 12, 2007
Hello

I was making a ladder in my Ambrose ship.

Here you can see the ladder made from paper.

Or you can make a hybrid where the vertical parts (sorry for the name
but I don't know how to call it in english) are made from steel wire
and the rungs from paper (or opposite as you wish). I have a picture
here that I did not used in my Ambrose thread.

I think that the idea is clearly shown on the picture. You cut out the
rungs from paper using a knife. It is really doable try and you will see.
Then you glue the wires in right places. I think that it is also possible
to make it whole from wires (but I didn't try). You make a square
hole in a piece of paper and glue the rungs to the paper on both sides
of the hole. Then you glue the vertical wires to the rungs.

Gil

Jan 25, 2004
Northern Bear Flag Republic
Possible Solution

Barry,

I've been thinking about ships rails for some time now and your dilemma brought the thought to the fore.

Basically, the thinking goes something like this; Use fixed basket weave style frame but instead let it be a parallelogram. If wire is placed between two opposing sides the strands will come ever closer as the structure is deformed into a diamond shape. The idea is to setup the wire on parallel sides which when positioned at say a 60 degree angle will be one half of what the distance was when the sides were perpendicular. So a one millimeter spacing would become 0.5 mm when angled at 60 degrees. The same can be done for the cross pieces. The whole idea is to gain miniature precision by a dividing technique and which will also hold the wire firmly in position while it's being soldered.

Also preparing the wire by pre-tinning it prior to rigging in the frames will simplify the soldering job. On second thought as long as the wire has a clean surface this could be performed with the wire already rigged in the frame. One las point is this method lends itself to making quite a few at one time.

-Gil

Gil

Jan 25, 2004
Northern Bear Flag Republic
Possible Solution

Barry,

I've been thinking about ships rails for some time now and your dilemma brought the thought to the fore.

Basically, the thinking goes something like this; Use fixed basket weave style frame but instead let it be a parallelogram. If wire is placed between two opposing sides the strands will come ever closer as the structure is deformed into a diamond shape. The idea is to setup the wire on parallel sides which when positioned at say a 60 degree angle will be one half of what the distance was when the sides were perpendicular. So a one millimeter spacing would become 0.5 mm when angled at 60 degrees. The same can be done for the cross pieces. The whole idea is to gain miniature precision by a dividing technique and which will also hold the wire firmly in position while it's being soldered.

Also preparing the wire by pre-tinning it prior to rigging in the frames will simplify the soldering job. On second thought as long as the wire has a clean surface this could be performed with the wire already rigged in the frame. One las point is this method lends itself to making quite a few at one time.

-Gil

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Gil bless you ! my old brain is having difficulty fully visualising this method any chance of a sketch

Maurice of course I use fuse wire old mate ever since you told me about it can't tin thin wire to save my life for some reason and this stuff is tinned already

Mpakir thanks fot the idea but the rungs would be too deep for what I want they are great as climbing rigging tho.

Gregory thanks for the kind words

probably I am trying for the impossible again but that's what it is all about

regards

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Gil bless you ! my old brain is having difficulty fully visualising this method any chance of a sketch

Maurice of course I use fuse wire old mate ever since you told me about it can't tin thin wire to save my life for some reason and this stuff is tinned already

Mpakir thanks fot the idea but the rungs would be too deep for what I want they are great as climbing rigging tho.

Gregory thanks for the kind words

probably I am trying for the impossible again but that's what it is all about

regards

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Dazzle test

Not in the mood to be serious at the moment so I did a quick test on the hull it's just barely stuck on with old doublesided tape just about falling off. The flash is didyorting the colours quite a bit.

Unfortunately it has shown up an error on the mesh for Gearing got to fix that now I think I know what silly trick I did though.

P1010668.jpg

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Dazzle test

Not in the mood to be serious at the moment so I did a quick test on the hull it's just barely stuck on with old doublesided tape just about falling off. The flash is didyorting the colours quite a bit.

Unfortunately it has shown up an error on the mesh for Gearing got to fix that now I think I know what silly trick I did though.

P1010668.jpg

Maurice

Jan 16, 2004
Barry

I was looking at your pics and reckoning you could achieve a regular layout for the ladders with something like what I've drawn here. It will waste a bit of wire though.

Maurice

Jan 16, 2004
Barry

I was looking at your pics and reckoning you could achieve a regular layout for the ladders with something like what I've drawn here. It will waste a bit of wire though.

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
That's the way you taught me in the distant past Maurice and I have been using it on the main rails. I was really trying to emulate Rob who just produced ladders with rungs level with the sides with such apparent ease but then he could solder. However just had a look at the ones on Norfolk and I doubt I would see the difference really maybe I should try gluing the wires between 2 thin strips of card heavily soaked in pva.

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
That's the way you taught me in the distant past Maurice and I have been using it on the main rails. I was really trying to emulate Rob who just produced ladders with rungs level with the sides with such apparent ease but then he could solder. However just had a look at the ones on Norfolk and I doubt I would see the difference really maybe I should try gluing the wires between 2 thin strips of card heavily soaked in pva.