But it's a dry heat!

Iron Horse

Mar 23, 2006
SE PA
I guess that means some of these are true ?:
You can live in Phoenix where ...
1. You are willing to park three blocks away because you found shade.
2. You've experienced condensation on your butt from the hot water in the toilet bowl.
3. You can drive for four hours in one direction and never leave town.
4. You have more than 100 recipes for Mexican food.
5. You know that "dry heat" is comparable to what hits you in the face when you open your oven door.
6. The four seasons are: tolerable, hot, really hot, and ARE YOU KIDDING ME??!!

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Those are indeed factual, but to add to this list:

7. You can get into you car and start it without ever touching anything metal or breathing (yeah, it can get to be well over 150 degrees inside a closed car in about ten minutes or less).
8, You can drive the first ten miles before ever touching the steering wheel.
9. You can jump into a swimming pool where the water is around 150 degrees and say, "wow, that's refreshing!!"
10. You know enought to never drink from a hose that's been laying out in the sun... anytime of the year...

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Relic,

What you describe is an effect of atmospheric density. A denser atmosphere will carry sound better. It's also a cooler atmosphere, so a little cold condenses water, and you get rain...!!!

It only got to 95 here (tip of Texas) today...

Gus (LC&P).

BLVDBUZZARD

Dec 30, 2005
San Diego Kalifornia
Well I don't feel so bad now. It is a cool refreshing 98 outsdide. I ride a motorcycle to work and I feel like I have been in a blast furnace for the hour drive.

The worst part about the heat is the fires that come with it. We complain about the heat, yet the people out there fighting the fire get no relief. There is a fir burning about 15 miles away from home. Smoke is every where.

Dru.

baldwinjl

Apr 30, 2005
It's a balmy 105 in Tucson today. We've had a few days of little or no storm activity, so it we are not getting the usual "cooling off" in the afternoon, either. We did get a little bit of a storm last evening, and its supposed to pick up again over the weekend. I hope. Please. The AC in my car went out last summer. I don't like it. I have a towel that I use to steer, otherwise, the car would just go wherever it wants, I'm not touching the wheel!

Jeff

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
We drape towells over both of the boys carseats when we have to park in the sun. Otherwise it is too hot for them and we run the very real risk of them getting burned on the exposed plastic and metal parts.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I would think that remote start switches that would allow you to start your car and let the a/c precool the car would be very popular in Az. We are at a balmy 85 during the day, and probably low 70s at night.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Russ Bellinis said:
I would think that remote start switches that would allow you to start your car and let the a/c precool the car would be very popular in Az. We are at a balmy 85 during the day, and probably low 70s at night.
Ya know, for some strange reason they are not that popular. I don't ever see them advertised and I don't know anyone that uses them. I guess we've just become accustom to being able to get in a car and being able to drive for a while without touching anything metal or leaning back on the seat. :rolleyes: And if you think I'm kidding, I'm not.:wave: :wave: I guess everyone here either thinks it's a right of passage, or possibly punishment to endure for being able to go outside in a T-shirt in the middle of January.:D :D

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
ezdays said:
Ya know, for some strange reason they are not that popular. I don't ever see them advertised and I don't know anyone that uses them. I guess we've just become accustom to being able to get in a car and being able to drive for a while without touching anything metal or leaning back on the seat. :rolleyes: And if you think I'm kidding, I'm not.:wave: :wave: I guess everyone here either thinks it's a right of passage, or possibly punishment to endure for being able to go outside in a T-shirt in the middle of January.:D :D
I know a few people that have the remote starters but not too many. My truck has it to where you can roll down the windows with the remote and even that is a giganitic help as it gets rid of the initial blast when you open the doors. Here's another pic I took just a little bit ago as I came out to my truck in a parking lot around noon. Sorry for the quality as I took it with my phone. (If you can't read it, the thermometer in the mirror says 122).

Attachments

• Picture007.jpg
    Picture007.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 36

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
Not to long after you took that photo this storm moved in and cooled things off up here.
Did you guys in the Valley catch any of it?

Attachments

• Jul15$01.JPG
    Jul15$01.JPG
    28 KB · Views: 59
  • Jul15$04.JPG
    Jul15$04.JPG
    26.6 KB · Views: 60
  • Jul15$07.JPG
    Jul15$07.JPG
    26.5 KB · Views: 60
  • Jul15$06.JPG
    Jul15$06.JPG
    21.7 KB · Views: 56

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Ray Marinaccio said:
Not to long after you took that photo this storm moved in and cooled things off up here.
We did indeed, here in Surprise we got the reminents of the storm that hit you guys up there. :wave: It was funny, I was watching the news on channel 5 and the weather guy was saying how the storm had passed by with little affect, when blam! and he got knocked off the air by the storm.:D :D It was raining hard at the time, so as I suspect, he didn't look outside at all.

Usually, the rain is hit and miss around here, some get it others don't. For a change we did this time, and for the first few minutes, you could see the rain evaporate as it hit the cement, it took a downpour before it really wet anything.:thumb: Oh yeah, and for the first time in about two weeks, the temperature went below 90, that means that it didn't go below 90 even at night.:rolleyes:

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Have any of you guys tried one of the solar powered fans that are sold to go in the window. You just open the iwndow when you park, put the little fan in, and close the window trapping it between the window and the roof of the car. It won't air condition the car, but will keep the inside temp from going above the outside temp. I posted this one before I saw the last page. Did that storm go through Sedona and help the fire fighters at all?

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Russ Bellinis said:
Have any of you guys tried one of the solar powered fans that are sold to go in the window. You just open the iwndow when you park, put the little fan in, and close the window trapping it between the window and the roof of the car. It won't air condition the car, but will keep the inside temp from going above the outside temp. I posted this one before I saw the last page. Did that storm go through Sedona and help the fire fighters at all?
I just saw those for the first time this weekend being advertised on TV. I was wondering how effective they would be in this intense heat. Looks like the rest of the country is getting a taste right now of what we go through every summer.:rolleyes:

The fires are out in Sedona, I posted an article I wrote with a follow up and some pictures here in the Caboose. We went back up there on Friday to see what damage was done. Some of the campgrounds were still closed, but most of them had reopened.

Relic

Nov 6, 2005
Nova Scotia
Russ
have you actually tried one of those littlt fans?
I too have seen 'em on tv and they look like apiece afece to me, You gotta love the weather stripping...holy moly K-Tel will never die

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
Ray Marinaccio said:
We live near Metro center (Thunderbird and 19th ave), and have not received any significant amount of rain yet from these so called monsoons. We have had some spitters go through, lotsa wind and dust and one morning we had a real light sprinkle for about 15 minutes. Other than that, NOTHING!!!!! Glad to hear you are getting some rain up there Ray. You guys need it. By the way... loved the pictures of the hail storm you posted not long ago. It seems lately, we live under the hole in the sky.

jim currie

Jun 29, 2003
arizona
Visit site
kf4jqd said:
Here in East Tennessee, the temps has been in the mid to hi 90's. The heat index has been 100's. Now try working in a furnance area were the furnace is at 2500 degrees!:curse: I temper glass for the automotive industry.

Andy:curse: :wave:

Andy i know what thats like one time when the temp was hovering in the high teens+100 I spent one afternoon running a air arc( for thoes that don't know a air arc uses a carbon electrode to heat old welds to a liquid state then blasts it off with air) hotter then hades:(

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Relic said:
Russ
have you actually tried one of those littlt fans?
I too have seen 'em on tv and they look like apiece afece to me, You gotta love the weather stripping...holy moly K-Tel will never die

I've never tried one, but the theory is to have a fan remove the hot air from inside the car and circulate fresh air into the car to hold the temp at the ambient and kill the solar gain. I don't think it would really require all that muchpower to do it.