But it's a dry heat!

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Phew! It's a toasty one down here in Phoenix today. Official high for today from weather underground was 116.7 with the heat index at 118. My thermometer shows 107 in the shade. I put an oven thermometer inside of my car once in the middle of summer and it was just shy of 160 when I came back out after a days work. That's hot. Most people use gloves to drive when it is cold. We use 'em 'cause you can't touch the steering wheel otherwise. You open the doors and it's like a blast furnace coming out at you and all the plastic inside the car is all soft and mushy and those people that wear shorts and have plastic leather or vinyl seats.... OUCH!!!! Even with AC cranked up full blast, that dark colored dash just sits there and bakes you regardless. I've always thought it funny how in most of the country all the cars are congregated as close to the front door of the store as possible. Here, they are all congregated around the shade trees no matter how far of a walk it could be. Tomorrow is supposed to be warmer. It's time for a move... anybody here from Seattle?:D :D

It has cooled off a little but here at 4:15 or so my car thermometer still says 115 and my outdoor themometer IN THE SHADE says 107.
P.S. Sorry to the rest of the world... I forgot... if you haven't figured it out already, that's in fahrenheit.

Attachments

• DCP_3858.jpg
    DCP_3858.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 176
  • DCP_3859.jpg
    DCP_3859.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 170

rtbaron

Thanks for the post...its not what I want to hear....I'm headed to Phoenix in 2 weks for
vacation....possibly looking for a place to retire to.....Have to see if I can handle the heat.

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
If you can make it through June, July and August, the rest of the year is great! I do wish it would rain a little more often though!

jflessne

It only gets worse. Just recieved in my email.

... Very hot weather Friday and Saturday...

... Desert dust storms and an increasing possibility of thunderstorms
this weekend...

The strong high pressure system aloft responsible for the excessively
hot weather is moving north over Arizona and will be centered over
Utah and Colorado by this weekend. Clockwise flow of air around this
high will bring an increase in humidity from the east with an
increasing chance of mainly late afternoon and evening showers and
thunderstorms with blowing dust in the desert areas. Also... temperatures
are expected to drop back somewhat Sunday... and drop back further
Monday with closer to average temperatures for mid July next week.

There is a good possibility of a late afternoon or evening desert
dust storm in south-central Arizona including the greater Phoenix
area this weekend... as early as Saturday.

The possibility of showers and thunderstorms is expected to increase
from a slight chance in the greater Phoenix area Saturday evening to
a chance of showers and thunderstorms Sunday afternoon and evening.
The thunderstorms could be severe with strong gusty damaging winds.
The showers and thunderstorms may continue developing west across
southwest Arizona and southeast California Sunday night... possibly
affecting the Yuma... and el/centro Imperial areas.

Some reminders for summertime weather in the southwestern
United States...

Be alert for approaching dust storms. If you see a dust storm
approaching... pull off the Road and park in a safe place. If you get
caught in a dust storm while driving... pull off to the side of the
Road as far as you can... put your vehicle in Park... Turn your lights
all the way off... and take your foot off the brake... so that
somebody does not try to follow your vehicle.

If you observe dangerous cloud to ground lightning... move to a safe
place indoors or stay inside your vehicle. If you come across a
flooded Road... turn around and find another way to your destination.

Ellis

Scoobie

Trainnut,That is hot! I was in Arizona visiting my brother. I left here in January ( Minnesota ) the temp was -30 with a -60 wind chill. It was almost a 110 degree difference. People think we're crazy for living here. I don't know I think 115 is pretty crazy. It's suppose to get to 100 this weekend ( too hot for me ). Stay cool Trainnut, drink lots of water. :wave:

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
rtbaron said:
Thanks for the post...its not what I want to hear....I'm headed to Phoenix in 2 weks for
vacation....possibly looking for a place to retire to.....Have to see if I can handle the heat.
Apache Junction is a nice place to sit out the golden years.
Was out there last year at this time...TWICE!. Once when my mom got sick in July, then again when she passed away August. I'm from the Northeast, so you know how I felt...for two days. Then I got used to it, and it never really bothered me after that.
What was neat was, when I came home it was 92 degrees with high humidity. Everyone was sweating up a storm, after two weeks of 116 degrees...It felt like winter to me.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Suppose to get to 115-116 tomorrow. I'm heading up to the cool country. We'll be in the Sedona/Oak Creek Canyon area tomorrow where it's only suppose to be 105.:D :D

hooknlad

Don,
I dont wish this on anyone , but have ya ever seen the red alky holed thermo meter go passed the 120 F mark? Just curious if their would be a market for therm meters that red passed that - lol

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
hooknlad said:
Don,
I dont wish this on anyone , but have ya ever seen the red alky holed thermo meter go passed the 120 F mark? Just curious if their would be a market for therm meters that red passed that - lol

The forecast high for Death Valley (California) is supposed to be 124 for Saturday. Any Gauge members from Death Valley?:D :D :D Perhaps they can verify what happens to a 120 degree thermometer when it surpasses 120!!!!!

Relic

This'll cool y' off
Did you know you could use train horns to forcast the weather??
Years ago I was working at a popular Nova Scotia ski hill as a snowmaker and noticed that at times the trains,that were accross the highway and halfway up the mountain(no cracks from you BCers)sounded like it was comming through the parking lot. We would always get rain within twenty four hours.
pretty cool wha??

ezdays

Out AZ way
Don,
Well, I was around when it got past that. It got up to 122 one June day and 120 another time. I think the red alky boiled away as it burst out of the top of the meter.

It hovers just under the 90 degree mark.
Uh, not today. It hit a record low (the highest low for the day) of 93. That means that it never got below that since midnight last night. Normal lows for this date is about 83, but that's when we turn the furnaces back on.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

jim currie

well guys here in warm wellton our high for today was 118 it was 116(cooled off a bit) at 6:00 at 16.4 % (dry ) the weather guys are calling for a cool off for monday 110 high.:) higest I'v seen here was 127. have digital read out themometers:)

doctorwayne

Around here, when it hits 80, people start complaining. These are the same jokers who complain all winter about it being too cold. I'm not too fond of the cold, but 80 is not hot in my books. 120 sounds more to my liking, but after almost 40 years in a steel mill, you get pretty used to the heat, and around here, the humidity is pretty high too.

Wayne

Ray Marinaccio

It wasn't to bad up here in Dewey. I don't think we even made it into triple digits.
rtbaron, If the valley is to hot, drive up to the Prescott area and check it out. Lots of people have been to retiring this area lately.

Tileguy

Its Hot when someone in Northern Minnesota starts to complain!!!! :D

It was so hot yesterday, My Air conditioner in My Truck quit working a while back.By 12:00 Noon I was Roasting:cry: ........Came out of the shop went to open my locked door and nothin, Lock quit working:curse: :curse: :curse: .................I blew up ( think it was the heat? )

Went directly to Dodge dealer and by 3PM was driving a new Hemi Quad cab with Air co and Locks that worked :D :D :D

announce1......................... Now Thats Hot!!!sign1

jflessne

Right now Arizona is the worst. (MONSOON) You can expect the temps to be in the 120's and you also get a wonderful sand storm from time to time. Last year I lost three new trees and a couple of wind chimes. :)