B5 - Project Centauri Vorchan

Sky Seeker

Well Established Member
Here is the B5 (Babylon 5) Centauri Vorchan.

upload_2016-10-20_17-31-11-jpeg.154292

upload_2016-10-20_17-32-21-jpeg.154293

Gandolf50 managed to find a copy of a lightwave model. Here's the original post from him from here

http://zealot.com/threads/models-of-merit-bsg-defender.179259/#post-1011869

"Took about 10 minutes to find a 3d model, convert it and here is the result in Pep...( with out any work at all) and It can use some! but it is a start! ( note: this was an open use file)

I will keep looking for a better mesh to work with..but any one that wants this one message me!

Never mind...already found one closing down the search window... this is WAY better file..but will take considerably MORE work to get to paper craft format..and since it is someone else's file..permission will have to be sought! If you have the ability? then http://www.scorpiocgi.co.uk/1333#prettyPhoto you can get the lightwave file and get started on your own...
image2-jpg.154421

it does have all the textures and such..this is just the color version of a Centauri Vorchan..."

The resource that was created as a result of his efforts is here in a pdo format::surprise:

http://zealot.com/resources/centauri-vorchan-mesh-file.1718/update?update=1758

Looks like it's time to build and modify to the scale of Jaybat's Omega Destroyer see here:

http://zealot.com/threads/b5-ea-omega-destroyer.178700/

and a MUCH better version done by Spaceagent here:

http://zealot.com/threads/babylon-5-earth-heavy-cruiser.178998/#post-1006997

Of course I would be remiss if I didn't mention Lepaj's version here:

http://zealot.com/threads/destroer-class-omega-agamemnon-babylon-5.172825/
MANY Thanks to Gandolf!! :bowdown::bowdown::Bravo:

Let the building begin!!

Sky Seeker
:tank:

spaceagent-9

Right Hand Man and Confidant
hey thanks for the mention Sly!!
is there any to get a full page jpeg or png of those,Please?
I have no pdo reader.

Sky Seeker

Well Established Member

Gandolf50

Researcher of obscure between war vehicles...
Staff member
Let me clarify things QUICKLY!! There were TWO files in the original post..the original was a free open use file...the second was created by Craig A. Clark on the link provided by me..it is a FREE FILE and it is the one under the link.

The model however is from the original low-res free open use model I found..and is not the same Quality that you see by Craig Clark in the large picture!! I just don't want anyone to expect one thing and get another!!

When I deal with the High quality version it will be a new name and new Resource..so as not to add to the confusion!!

spaceagent-9

its frustrating dealing with me. if this pisses anyone off just pull it down or tell me and I will, but instead of explaining how here is just some sheets. like I said, I have been wanting this one since 2007. I even dreamed last night that I had a 3 sheeter. lol. well, anyways, Thanks Again Gandolf. hopefully I will get started on my narn and this one around Christmastime and post some pics!! have to watch the series again I forgot what color the weapons are...centari heavy cruiser 1.png centari heavy cruiser 2.png centari heavy cruiser 3.png

Gandolf50

Staff member
its frustrating dealing with me. if this pisses anyone off just pull it down or tell me and I will, but instead of explaining how here is just some sheets. like I said, I have been wanting this one since 2007. I even dreamed last night that I had a 3 sheeter. lol. well, anyways, Thanks Again Gandolf. hopefully I will get started on my narn and this one around Christmastime and post some pics!! have to watch the series again I forgot what color the weapons are...View attachment 154484 View attachment 154485 View attachment 154486

Keep Dreaming!...Hopefully this project will produce a QUALITY VERSION!!! and not what is here now!! I am aiming for as good as I can do and better with help from others in the community!!

PS...this hasn't even had a test build yet!!! Some one needs to get one going!! I have ZERO TIME!!! as I am already doing model and 4 more designs!!

spaceagent-9

well, Lapaj's earth destroyer version would be a year long project for me. but it certainly is a great model! I don't mind simple models, it keeps me busy. the Klingon K'tinga I made last year was pretty good, but I would really like to make a page or two of plating and details, maybe even grime it up with some masquera and glue for weathering. I have learned that printing the back side of the paper black makes lighting much easier, and also putting a little mitten of white card stock over the led dampens the light without making it orange or yellow. I am looking for paper that has a black backside. fiber optics is good, if you hot glue the window ends for light spread.
well anyway, I look forward to this project you are doing. these are great ships! and a very popular series.

spaceagent-9

hey thanks that opened right up ! for some reason i have been having a lot of problems with pdo files and the free readers don't work.

Sky Seeker

Well Established Member
hey thanks that opened right up ! for some reason i have been having a lot of problems with pdo files and the free readers don't work.

Pepakura Viewer3 works just fine (the version I have) maybe there's something out there in my archives.

Sky Seeker

Sky Seeker

Well Established Member
well, Lapaj's earth destroyer version would be a year long project for me. but it certainly is a great model! I don't mind simple models, it keeps me busy. the Klingon K'tinga I made last year was pretty good, but I would really like to make a page or two of plating and details, maybe even grime it up with some masquera and glue for weathering. I have learned that printing the back side of the paper black makes lighting much easier, and also putting a little mitten of white card stock over the led dampens the light without making it orange or yellow. I am looking for paper that has a black backside. fiber optics is good, if you hot glue the window ends for light spread.
well anyway, I look forward to this project you are doing. these are great ships! and a very popular series.

Spaceagent,

ANY contribution you would make would be quite welcome. I was thinking about doing the test build and then modifying accordingly. This model is still a great baseline to start from.

Sky Seeker

Sky Seeker

Well Established Member
Keep Dreaming!...Hopefully this project will produce a QUALITY VERSION!!! and not what is here now!! I am aiming for as good as I can do and better with help from others in the community!!

PS...this hasn't even had a test build yet!!! Some one needs to get one going!! I have ZERO TIME!!! as I am already doing model and 4 more designs!!

Gandolf,

I will happily volunteer for this more than likely after Nov. 8. Also, I'm currently working on some Karakuri models right now for an associate of mine's school.

Sky Seeker

spaceagent-9

all I know is the only way to stop light leaks is complete black out. even fiber optics lite up the paper. foil works good, but there are still problems. maybe a glossy black metallic with a white back to print on. im still working on that. resisters dim leds too much, the white paper boot seems best so far.

Sky Seeker

Well Established Member
Gandolf,

I will happily volunteer for this more than likely after Nov. 8. Also, I'm currently working on some Karakuri models right now for an associate of mine's school.

Sky Seeker

Ok I just printed this out. It's small, so I believe it should be scaled up maybe 2x. That should work.

We'll see what happens.

Sky Seeker

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
As far as I am concerned, these models are up for grabs,. This person hold no copyright and can't over this work as he has named it and would have to have a license. I sent an email, received no reply. So do whatever you wish with any of these files, and if anything is said, I will say he should have answered the query and he has no legs to stand on.. Credit should be given where do, but remember, he copied this model from the series, he did not originate the design. It is a derivative work, and no one here is trying or will be allowed to sell anything on this forum, so go for it, use what you find, I have your back, and support. Great project!! . :)

p.s. the realization of a CAD model into a 3D paper constitutes more than a 10% change. No one can claim any harm, or any foul.

Gandolf50

Staff member
Yes...I re- READ in full the disclaimer... more than the cursory ..sure gimme the file... and in boils down to ..do what you want..but some credit for the original file would be nice! as well as standard..this is not connected or stolen from the original Babylon franchise. yada yada...I have the thing which I can include with our own in the real/final/all is as best we can do version!!

I am going to call this the B5-Centauri-Vorchan-Beta or BCVB when we get lazy... anyway...took a few minutes and started on the mesh...first off...exploded all the parts...and started getting some color code going. If done very carefully it can be done section by section instead of one massive file... There is a TON in the quality mesh!!! and should be a Quality Model with tons of help and input! Here take a look of all the pieces!

Vorchan-Exploded.jpg

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
B5-BCVB, sound great to me. It was a smart disclaimer, after all, since when have we seen an original work? It's been quite some time. Silveroxide's work is original, in that it models objects from the past, that really existed, but are recreated in miniature, even that is derivative though. You would be nuts to post something fully, truly, original, in an open forum! :)

***Galactic Racer models excluded.

Sky Seeker

Well Established Member
As far as I am concerned, these models are up for grabs,. This person hold no copyright and can't over this work as he has named it and would have to have a license. I sent an email, received no reply. So do whatever you wish with any of these files, and if anything is said, I will say he should have answered the query and he has no legs to stand on.. Credit should be given where do, but remember, he copied this model from the series, he did not originate the design. It is a derivative work, and no one here is trying or will be allowed to sell anything on this forum, so go for it, use what you find, I have your back, and support. Great project!! . :)

p.s. the realization of a CAD model into a 3D paper constitutes more than a 10% change. No one can claim any harm, or any foul.

Z - In the patent world with designs you can make a "minor change" and still get a design patent. Also, the model above is actually a little more detailed than the series. So no worries at all. Also, we should probably include a disclaimer that says something like "that this model is for free" on a stand with a similar disclaimer like Jaybat's models. I just hope that nobody gets suckered by the guys at Al* B*b* to pay for a model.

Sky Seeker

Sky Seeker

Well Established Member
Yes...I re- READ in full the disclaimer... more than the cursory ..sure gimme the file... and in boils down to ..do what you want..but some credit for the original file would be nice! as well as standard..this is not connected or stolen from the original Babylon franchise. yada yada...I have the thing which I can include with our own in the real/final/all is as best we can do version!!

I am going to call this the B5-Centauri-Vorchan-Beta or BCVB when we get lazy... anyway...took a few minutes and started on the mesh...first off...exploded all the parts...and started getting some color code going. If done very carefully it can be done section by section instead of one massive file... There is a TON in the quality mesh!!! and should be a Quality Model with tons of help and input! Here take a look of all the pieces!

View attachment 154518

Gandolf,

I love how you expanded the pieces. For construction purposes can we have the center section as one piece and have the other pieces built around it? Pieces such as the nacelles could probably be added on separately for ease of construction. Additionally, can the center section extend within the horizontal wing portion almost to the rear engines to reinforce the model?

upload_2016-10-29_12-54-20.png
Horizontal wing portions could have marks for the strut / separators
upload_2016-10-29_12-56-16.png
The red marks on the struts indicate construction areas for cutting to fit over the horizontal wing.
upload_2016-10-29_12-56-51.png

Also, can we eliminate these back portions? The Vorchan in the show seems to be flush at the rear of the vertical stabilizers.
upload_2016-10-29_12-58-39.png

Just a couple suggestions. I hope you don't mind. I've been looking at the Vorchan for some time now trying to figure out how to do this by hand . Thanks for all your work on this Gandolf it is much appreciated.

Sky Seeker