Any one got a gas station on there L/O??

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Pickering. Ontario. Canada.
Visit site
Welcome to the gauge Frank

Hi Frank, I just got notified of your post, Glad Val could help you out .
I have only been her 23 years so BA must have gone in the 70s.
So I phoned a friend:D

British American Gas 88 & 98. May have been bought out by Gulf?
Black and Green coloured stations?

Good Train Shops should carry the decals or the next train show up your way should have them.

DeaconF

May 2, 2003
Owen Sound Ontario Canada
Visit site
BA

Thanks Chris. You guys are great. Val hasn't responded yet. Untill I can track down signs or decals, my gas station will be on hold. Did I see a pic of yours with the old style pumps? Where did you get them. I have always wondered if you concider yourself prototypical. In other words if you see these pumps at a flee market and they are close to HO would you use them? thanks again Frank

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Visit site
Hi Frank, The Station I put together at the start of this thread was for the Traction in Action Moduel That you can see on the Gauge. That was and is a 1940ish Lay out. And I wanted something that had survied from the early days of Gas stations.
You can buy these old gravity pumps in most scales N and HO I know of.
You should be able to pick them up at the train shows ya just got to ask the "good" venders not the junk ones:p
OR search the web,,,, when my brain gets in gear I`ll post the makers name for the H O.:thumb: :rolleyes:

jetrock

Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
I'm planning a gas station--it's a small Art Deco building a couple blocks from my house that was situated right on the rail line. Construction should be pretty straightforward--just some styrene and acetate for the windows--but getting the details lined up right will be a challenge. Now that I've pretty much finished my current project (a furniture store) the stage is set for the gas station...

E Mo Ry

Mar 14, 2004
Near Chicago
home.mindspring.com
Gas Stations

Here's a picture of the Shell Station on my Eastern Missouri Railway (E. Mo. Ry.) layout. Hope it helps. I need to work on my lighting to get a more natural look.

I'm new to the site, having taken a 4 year "forced hiatus" from modeling after moving from St. Louis to Chicago. Look forward to learning more here. Thanks.

Attachments

• img_1308.jpg
    img_1308.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 164

neilmunck

Feb 18, 2004
Glasgow, UK
www.gmts.org.uk
Hii guys, I like the thread. Petrol stations can really ground your era to the viewer - just like cars.

Along this vein - does anyone know what brands of gas were sold in Colorado in the 1920s'?

This is probably one for a D&RG nut :D

neilmunck

Feb 18, 2004
Glasgow, UK
www.gmts.org.uk
Hi Chris,
I started modelling generic Aemrican models about 10 years ago because at that time the British outline RTR stuff wasn't as good as the athearrn/IHC counterparts. Now there isn't much to choose between the offerings and I am becoming more interested in scratchbuilding locomotives but I have invested so much time and effort in my American stuff I'm keeping going with that.

Until last moth I was modeling Louisiana in 1926 but it is so flat and I rather like mountains so I decided to change. I was looking on the web and found sites about the Colorado Midland and the Colorado Springs and Cripple Creek District Railway. There is also a lot of information on these lines that can be accessed through the Denver Public Library web site so I decided to give this a bash.

The main disadvantage I find is trying to get the background information. I could tell you who would sell petrol round here in the '20s but not in Colorado.

By the way - you're a tram fan. Do you know the old Glasgow Corporation colour scheme? It's a real shame that went. The "Caurs" (trams) were really pretty.

neil

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Visit site
Hi Niel, Thanks for the reply ,, and yes I do remember the Glasgow colours. What have they change them to??
I work with a few Lads from Glasgow at the Toronto Transit Commission,,TTC.
Before that I worked for Manchester City Transport / SELNEC and then it change Back and Stage Coach Holdings Bought them out:(
I worked the last few months on the double decker trolley out of Stepheson sqaure, up Ashton new road 216, , as a conductor July 1966 till December before they went to Oilers as we called them then. Came here Aug 1980. Drove the Streetcars and Busses now for 24 years. anyway:sleeping: enought of that.
Hope to see some of your layout soon on the gauge matey:thumb:
Again I will try and find the Gas used!!

neilmunck

Feb 18, 2004
Glasgow, UK
www.gmts.org.uk
Unfortunately the trams are gone from glasgow now :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: all we have are buses.

The buses that Strathclyde Passenger Transport (SPT) ran were bright, bright :eek: orange with black bands at window level. The local trains were painted like that too. The trains were blue before SPT took them over and everyone called them "the blue train". Then they were painted flourescent orange but everyone still called them the blue trains :D

The buses are now run by a private franchise who paint the buses white with purple at the bottom fading into pink and then white below the windows *yuk*.

The trians are still orange but called blue though!

I posted the question again on the general talk forum and Vic says gas was probably sold by Standard Oil, Deep Rock, CONOCO or Flying 'A' so that gives me a good start.

neil

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Re: Spitfire

Originally posted by DeaconF
Spitfire - you have it - I've been looking all over the place for that BA stuff. It shows you how new I am. I left a reply to Interurban asking about BA - I have to learn to keep reading. Anyway Val - may I be so bold as to ask you where you got that BA sign? thanks Frank

Hi Deacon

Sorry about the lateness of this reply - I somehow unsubscribed to this thread and only saw you question now. Here is the BA website I got my info from.

Val