Any one got a gas station on there L/O??

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Re: What a fined

Originally posted by interurben
Wow jon you said it was a oldy and by jiminy you are right, being restored and in use??

It's not in use, but I see different cars in it from time to time. Nice 50's corvet (drool) sometimes, and sometimes, the dummy (the one in the piccy, not me), is posed working on a car. There is an empty mailbox labeled "take one". It was tempting to take the mailbox, but I thought if I waited, it might have some info in it later :)

Is it far from you??
I could spit on it from here. Well, that would take hurricane winds to spit that far, but I could drive there in ten minutes.

Great photo`s matey.

Ta. The inside shots are through glass with a lot of glare, and even with blocking the sunlight with both hands and running the X-700 with my feet, some still got in :D :D :D

Did you find out the year of the car and tow truck did ya eh did ya:D

I want to say it was a 1929 B. The sign on the other door tells all. Too bad I didn't get a shot from the other side. The car I never saw a sign on it, but it might have plates reflecting the year, I'll look soon. I'll see what I can find out about the station too. I know it's privately owned as a hobby and dedication to the town for making the owner wealthy.

Pant pant pant:D

~jon hands Chris a paper bag to breath into, because jon won't need it until that vett reappears~

The door on the photo'd side just says:

Attachments

• truckdoor.jpg
    truckdoor.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 140

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Wow Jon! It sure looks neat! I think I've seen an ho scale structure kit somewhere that has a similar false front brick profile.
It seems to me it was one of the cheap plastic kits from Model Power, Life Like, etc. I think the cars and the tow truck are all Model A's

George D

Aug 28, 2003
Yorktown, VA
Visit site
This is a picture of a diorama I built several years ago using a City Classics kit. I did it to try some scenery techniques I wanted to play with. I’ll be tearing it apart and incorporating the gas station into a module that I’m now building.
George

George D

Aug 28, 2003
Yorktown, VA
Visit site
Thanks Chris. The module is HO, 2x4 feet. The track is down and wired and I hope to have the ballasting finished tomorrow. I work in fits and starts – I belong to a model railroad club with a permanent layout that takes a lot of my modeling time.
George

David Rosser

Sep 15, 2003
Penna
Visit site
Garage ideas

There is another possible spot for a car/truck with the front end up on ramps and the feet plus legs sticking out from under it. We have a mobile home parked on a small lot away from the "nice houses" and the partial do-it-yourself mechanic under the pick-up truck looks just right. Dave

Lighthorseman

Jul 24, 2002
Out in the sticks
Visit site
...<From George D. >... " I did it to try some scenery techniques I wanted to play with."

Well, Geo...looks like you had an absolute rousing success. Any chance you'd like to share how you got that superb looking ground cover?

Pleeeeease? :)

George D

Aug 28, 2003
Yorktown, VA
Visit site
Thanks for you comments, Steve.

There are no special secrets. I started with a base of foam core. After shaping it, I covered some areas that were too rough with plaster impregnated gauze. The rest I left bare. Next came two coats of latex paint. I bought a gallon of an ugly brown from the sale shelf in the paint department at Lowes – just the right shade for a base color. It was flat, not gloss and it was cheap.

After the paint dried I then spread matt medium over it and sprinkled on several shades of Woodland Scenics ground foam. Over that I put some course ground foam and foliage clusters to give it an overgrown look. The nice thing about ground foam, you can simply add more if you want to change anything. Each layer was finished with a good spraying of Scenic Cement.

The dirt near the “pavement” came from my back yard. I sifted it through a piece of old pantyhose. A strong caution here, don’t use your wife’s new pantyhose. For oil stains, I added shoe dye diluted with alcohol with an eye-dropper

The “concrete” is styrene that was scribed for the expansion joints, painted and weathered with chalks.

Building a diorama is a great way to get comfortable with scenery work. I’ve since done a lot of scenery work on our club layout. I hope I’m not to getting too far off topic, here’s a picture of an area I did on our club layout.

George

DeaconF

May 2, 2003
Owen Sound Ontario Canada
Visit site
Spitfire

Spitfire - you have it - I've been looking all over the place for that BA stuff. It shows you how new I am. I left a reply to Interurban asking about BA - I have to learn to keep reading. Anyway Val - may I be so bold as to ask you where you got that BA sign? thanks Frank