Any one got a gas station on there L/O??

interurban

Hi Guys,, Here is one of my gas stations, I am putting one together for the Traction in Action modual.
So it would be kind a nice to see yours and maybe I can pinch an Idea or two;) :D :)

Attachments

• gaz station.jpg
    gaz station.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 788

papasmurf37

HI CHRIS:
Although it's not built as yet, our NewEnglandNorthern HO sectional layout will hopefully have a section of village road running behind and parallel to the foreground east-west main. We hope to have Big Al's Garage; an old IHC gas station with a concrete block garage added. It will be a Hotrod Club/hangout as our layout is in transition era. Hope to have towtruck, 57 Chevy, 33 Ford rod, some pickup trucks, etc. parked and a car on lift visible thru open garage doors. A 50's diner will be next-door using our City Classics kit, again with correct era cars around it.

interurban

Hi Tom, that sounds like a great project in the making, I thought of a vehical on ramps front end up with the mechanics legs sticking out:D

Ours it a Metal shop situated near the Interurban station with a couple of the old type gas pumps the ones with the Glass top and cap. Bit of an alround workshop.

papasmurf37

The guy under car sounds COOL!
Don't forget that YOU could also have a parked towtruck and have a Model A Ford or something similar behind it on the hook.

interurban

I did a bit this morning

Hi Guys ,

Thanks for that Tom , got to get a tow truck 1940era;)

Here are a few pics.
I have put every thing on a base and coated it with poly filler hydocol to other folk:D

And set the scene, all have to be painted of course but this is it so far.

Attachments

• garage 1.jpg
    garage 1.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 733

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
I picked this one up, assembled, at the used and abused shelf. Had to remove one of the service bays so it would fit the real estate. One of these days I'll get signs on it. The first shot is ground level,

Attachments

• gsstn1.jpg
    gsstn1.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 648

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
The vehicles at the pumps, in this high angle shot, were lifelike originals. The convertible, had the roof removed, the interior detailed, and a few extra details on the exterior. The truck had doors added in the open position, interior details added, and a scratch built cap added.

Attachments

• gsstn2.jpg
    gsstn2.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 721

interurban

Hi Sumpter 250
That`s a great looking piece of real estate you have there my friend;)
Lovely photo`s. I have the same as you, second hand to me on my layout. But you have done a far better job of it then me.:)
Well done.

Gonna pinch a few Ideas:D :D ;) :p

Russ Bellinis

The model looks great,Interurban. What era are you modeling? The car looks like about a 1964 Chevy wagon, but I think those pumps are probably more 30's-40's. Some might have lasted into the early 50's, but I doubt they would last into the 60's.

Lighthorseman

Working Toward A Gas Station...

As my layout is of the older timeframe, I'd like to have a vignette of a blacksmith who has realised that horseless carriages are the wave of the future, and has not entirely switched over to servicing cars, but has gas pumps out front, and it is starting to look as though the horseshoeing business is beginning to wane.

I'm thinking of a well-weathered wooden structure with almost brand-new pumps, and he still has not taken down or altered his "Blacksmithing And Carriage Repair" sign. This building would likely still contain blacksmithing tools and equipment, and hitching posts, but it would appear as though the blacksmithing equipment is being moved to the side as vehicle repair seems to be taking over half his building.

I've been ruminating over this idea for a while now, and if I ever manage to get going on this, I'll post pictures. Thanks for posting this thread, Chris. Perhaps you've provided motivation to get my butt in gear.:D

jon-monon

Steve, My grandfather was blacksmith during and after the depression and found himself doing some auto body work, farm impliment modificatioon and repairs, but primarely did what you would expect a blacksmith to do: make stuff from iron. Don't know when he opened shop exactly, but he shipped in from Danmark about 1910, as an apprentist to Mr. Knudsen of all people :D :D :D Entered War 1 as a Petty Officer First Class Blacksmith, because he was already skilled.

My gas station is not on a layout, I keep it on top of my mess I work in all day.

Attachments

• mess.jpg
    mess.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 612

jon-monon

It's just a plastic kit I bought used and built up. In dire need of detailing,

Attachments

• sa3-4.jpg
    sa3-4.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 589

RailRon

Jon,

your gas station seems to be a kit - and an older one, I guess. Right? Could it be one of the POLA kits they made in the 70's?

You're absolutely right - the more junk around a structure, the more it looks believable. However, I remember, when I was a kid: on a gas station in our vicinity EVERYTHING was dirty - but the gas pumps (ESSO it was) really shone and were polished daily! :D :D :D

Ron

jon-monon

Hi Ron, the bottom says, "TYCO - made by Pola West Deutschland" I mean West Germany :) I guess from the 70's because it's tyco? I am the 2nd owner and don't know it's history. I'll bet it would look better of the right side garage door were turned around so the hinges are in against the wall, eh? :D

RailRon

Jon,
in the 70's POLA had a strange mixture of structure kits of European and American prototypes. I remember a German water tank with masonry walls, and then the well known Chama coaling tower and sand house to go with it. I have the coaling tower, the Rico CO station of the RGS, a few section houses and an old time smithy. They will be all included on my pike. Jon, I also owned a DANISH ( :D )dairy but gave it away years ago.

And yes, they also had two or even three models of gas stations / automobile repair shops.

But why yours is called TYCO, I don't know. Perhaps Tyco sold it in England under its own brand name.

I think with a bit of weathering to kill that plastic shine they can be worked into quite nice structures. Oh well, I'll see...

Ron