Xtrk cad:no steam?

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
Dec 12, 2006
Cincinnati,Ohio
hey guys,i was wondering if there is a way to get steam or a larger array of deisel engines on Xtrk? it would be nice to check clearances with my larger steam engines.and large deisels.just wanted to check,thanks for any help.--josh :wave:

LoudMusic

Jul 21, 2006
In the program ...

Tools > Car Inventory > Add > New > Car Part

Then set up new ones to match your real units. I've not personally created any, but I expect it would be pretty easy. Though I don't know how detailed you can get.

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
Dec 12, 2006
Cincinnati,Ohio
OK,i just did that and finally got ALL my locos in there.but i cant get any steam in there.i wonder why they dont support it.--josh

baldwinjl

Apr 30, 2005
Well, I'd say that I wouldn't count on the trains in XTrkCad to tell you if you have the clearances you need. I'd much more trust making sure that the clearances meet your standards 'by the tape', whether you get your standards from the NMRA, John Armstrong's books, experimentation, or somewhere else. Operating in XTrkCad is useful for seeing how things will run as far as fitting on sidings and switching operations, but I don't think I'd use it for judging clearances.

Jeff

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
Dec 12, 2006
Cincinnati,Ohio
i thought Xtrk was a very accurate program.i figured if you could print pages to lay track it was good enough to check clearances.--josh

baldwinjl

Apr 30, 2005
bigsteel said:
i thought Xtrk was a very accurate program.i figured if you could print pages to lay track it was good enough to check clearances.--josh

It is very accurate as far as the track layout goes. I don't have the same confidence about the models of the trains, though I haven't really looked at them that way, so I could be all wrong about that. But I'd figure that there are too many variable in the trains, as far as coupler and truck positions, so that the actual clearances might of might not be accurate. Just my opinion. I think you are better off to trust the measurements rather than the represenation of the trains.

Jeff

Mountain Man

Jan 19, 2007
bigsteel said:

It is "supposed" to enable virtual train operations in order to check clearances, points, curves and other potential problem areas.

Frankly, I was happier trying to master version 3.whatever than the newer 4.1, which has dropped a number of useful items from, its capabilities in favor of more of the larger scale stuff.

baldwinjl

Apr 30, 2005
Mountain Man said:
It is "supposed" to enable virtual train operations in order to check clearances, points, curves and other potential problem areas.

Frankly, I was happier trying to master version 3.whatever than the newer 4.1, which has dropped a number of useful items from, its capabilities in favor of more of the larger scale stuff.

The virtual trains may be fine for checking clearances, I'm just skeptical.

On your second point, at least accoring to the release notes, everything that was there is still there, though the menus may have changed. The only specific mention of a loss of capability is that it is for XP and up. I use 2000, and have not tried the new version, since my plan is more or less complete, and I have not felt a need. The 3. version is still available, for those that need/want it, I found it still at Winsite the other day.

Jeff

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
Dec 12, 2006
Cincinnati,Ohio
alrighty ill just measure then...ugh...LOL.just wanted to check since i was outta ideas.i just figured they may have something for steam,but oh well.as for the new Xtrk,where can you get it.i beleive im still using the old one.and can you use files from the old Xtrk in the new one?--josh

baldwinjl

Apr 30, 2005
You can get the new XTrkCad at http://www.xtrkcad.org
There is a link for the Windows download at the top right.
It appears that you can use your old files in the new version. I have not tried this, so I say it carefully.

Good luck!
Jefff

baldwinjl

Apr 30, 2005
Did you download the xtc401.exe file? I just downloaded it and ran it, and it installed fine, and seems to run. What happened? How did it not run? Did you save it and then run it?

Jeff

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
Dec 12, 2006
Cincinnati,Ohio
i downloaded the correct file,im not really sure what happened,i did save it and tried to run it but it wouldnt run.a sign popped up and said "cannot open parameter file" --josh

BigJim

Nov 19, 2006
North Plains, Oregon
dixiemtn.com
Don't trust the trains to check clearances. For example,make a bowtie with a double slip switch. Set the switch to not cross. Run two trains in opposite directions through the slip switch at the same time. They won't crash.

On the other hand I have seen two trains running in the same direction through a double crossover set straight and have the program "pick" the second train and combine it into one.