Whats in a Name

jimmybeersa

May 14, 2001
Alberton . South Africa
I look at some of the handles people use and wonder , how did he arrive at that?
The thread to put a face to the name.was fantastic and resulted in some good laughs.
Well here goes, me I am "jimmybeersa" nothing to do with beer (which I enjoy ). jimmy by which I am known, my Mother bless her allways called me James and " bee " as in Brown, the "rsa " is Republic of South Africa where I live

Take it from here guys

Steam Donkey

Jul 9, 2002
Maple Ridge, BC
Visit site
Steamer!

When I was growing up, my friends used to call me "Stanley Steamer", not after the car, but after Stan Smyl's nickname of the Vancouver Canucks fame in the late '70s and '80s.

It's a bit of a stretch...Steamer to Steam Donkey, but mix in my love of logging, and there you have it!

BTW.......GO CANUCKS GO! :D

Steamer

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
I'm just unimaginative. :D Actually I'm lazy. When asked by the forum to type in a name, I tried mine and was surprised to see there wasn't already another Ralph.. I thought, "what the heck?" and made it easy. I do enjoy other people's handles though. Hmmmm, how about:

Railroad
Afficianado
HO?

Ralph (won't quit my day job) :)

Edavillenut

Aug 4, 2002
pepperell, ma
www.lighthousehobbies.com
well mine is my intrest in the Edaville Railroad a 2 foot railroad in south carver mass. which was once home to some of the orignal maine 2 footers and the nut part because all my friends say i am a nut (always wondered why) by thats what mine meanes.

absnut

Oct 18, 2002
Maine
Visit site
When I first got a computer, I was advised not to use my "real" name when I logged onto any site so, I used the name of my computer, an "ABS", and added "nut" (for reasons probably quite obvious to people who know me)... hence, ABSnut.

C

Catt

Name my unit in 'Nam gave me .It just kind of stuck and I like it.:D I added the second T though.

Sir_Prize

Mar 4, 2001
Port Charlotte,Florida
Visit site
For me it goes back to C.B.'ing, remember those Radios.
Ones that you can use without a license, and put in your
vechile.:rolleyes: ;)
Anyways...
Sir Prize was my handle. I got it over time. Since I always
act like a gentleman friends gave me the title of "Sir," as
in Sir Lance O'Lot. That whole Knights and Chivalry thing.
Prize came one evening when a gal; several sheets to the
wind; said "You'd be a real prize to the lady that marries
you..."
Sooo.... It struck a cord an ever since... Sir Prize has been
around.
;) :D :D

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
When I joined this forum I was a total RR newbie. I really liked some of the railroady nicknames I saw here but in my case I thought something like that would suggest that I knew a lot more than I did - i.e. not a damn thing! I'm always at a loss for a clever nickname anyway.....brain seizes up under pressure LOL.
I had just finished making a model of the most beautiful plane ever made - a WWII Spitfire which was sitting on the shelf beside my mac - so there was the inspiration. Besides, it has a kind of feisty ring to it, which suits me just fine!

cheers
:D Val

PS: what a difference a year makes. Last night on the chat I heard myself saying "I got rid of the double switch" which a year ago would have made my eyes glaze over in incomprehension!!!

grumbeast

Jan 13, 2003
Dartmouth, N.S. Canada
www.accesswave.ca
Grumbeast was a name given to me by my lazy
compatriots at University it started as Grum
(so they didn't have to go the trouble of pronouncing
Graham .. the extra syllabul was too much work).

The beast.. tacked on the end of Grum by some students
of mine when I taught game design and regularly beat
the snot out of them in multi-player games. :D

I just hope you all didn't think the Grum referred to my
general demeanour ;) and the Beast.. well.. I don't
know.. the impression there could be either really
good or really bad.. so I'm glad this topic came up! :)

Graham (grumbeast)

YakkoWarner

Mar 10, 2001
Orange County, NC.
www.the-gauge.com
I am a huge animation fan. Particularly the Warner Bros stuff from the thirties and fourties. Yakko Warner is the oldest of the "Warner Brothers" (Wakko Warner is his younger brother and Dot is the "Warner Brother Sister") from the show "Animaniacs" an early '90s variety show animated in the style of the origional studio shorts. Yakko is an animated version of Groucho Marx. The show was home to "Pinky and the Brain" as well as dozens of other memorable characters.

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
Well, ever since I was a kid .... (geeeee, can I remember that far back?)... I drooled every time I saw a picture of the old-time 4-4-0's with the the teakettle smoke stacks.
I thought they looked charming, and, since I'm a charming fellow (when I'm not on-duty as Deputy Robber Barron :) ) I figured the nickname was easthetically pleasing. Has a kind of ring to it, or should that be "rattle" .. hehehe.

Errol

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
For choice of locomotives, my preference is definitely articulated steam. One of my favorites is the 2-6-6-2, 3 foot gauge loco from the Sumpter Valley Railway. They had two, #250, and #251. From this came sumpter250. Yes, that's an HOn3 model of SVRY #250 in my avatar.