Whats in a Name

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
Mine's too easy - It's the scale we built our first Major model RR in, N gauge, in 1984. When it was time to sign onto AOL (yecch) back in '92, I decided to use ngauger as my handle. I've used it most places on the net now - in different variations.

For the most part, If you see: ngaugerblh, ngaugerlgb, ngauger or N_Gauger, It's me LOL

mhdishere

Feb 27, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
OK, here's my story, I'm also a former AOL user. When I first signed up I tried all different variations of my name for a screen name, and they were all taken. I didn't want my name with a bunch of random digits after it, too hard to remember, so I decided I'd use my initials and tell everyone I was here, so I tried MHDIsHere. It worked, and even though I no longer use AOL I still use MHDIsHere on most forums I belong to.

Since that was my screen name when I put out a personal ad on AOL, thru which I met my wife, I have an attachment to it!

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Obviously there is no need to explain my name, but I laughed when I read the previous post about AOL and all variations of a name being taken already. When I first opened an account with AOL, all variations of both my name and my wifes name were unavailable, which I found unlikely. We even tried some pure nonsense combos which wouldn't take. I was pretty sure at that point, despite my total lack of experience or knowledge of things concerning computers, that AOL just wanted me to use the foolish name they proposed as a default. For amusement, my wife suggested trying cometudo, Portugese meaning, roughly, "eats everything" It took, and we kept it for the length of time we were with AOL. Which wasn't long.
Why is it that people are reluctant to use their real names anyway?

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
In the very early days of computers being used in the workplace we used a messaging method known as dissos. The requirement for identification was to use the first six letters of your surname then add the first two letters of your first name so my id became matthyro. It stuck.

aartwmich

Nov 30, 2002
SW Michigan
www.angelfire.com
A....first intial, first name. ART...first three letters, last name. W..west side of my state. MICH....michigan, my state. Thats my screen name and I'm stickin to it!! :p ...on ALL the forums.

Then there's my signature here, 'ima tomboygirlforever', which has been turned into several nicks...ima, ITGFE, tomboygirl. It's actually..I'm a tomboygirl FOREVER!! Cause I just am!!

It's fun to play with words and letters and with the various interpretations that are elluded...and then play on THOSE!!

Had to laugh thinkin about all the funky screen names I've used on computers over the years.

N Gauger

Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
Originally posted by Gary Pfeil

Why is it that people are reluctant to use their real names anyway?

Mostly, the "lifers" like me that have been on the net since the early '80's, know that with enough information, someone could steal your Identity.

There's Tons & Tons of info out there about you. Don't say" My Credit Cards aren't out there" -- You have a Bank account?? Your Bank's Online. All your records are out there somewhere. With the right Codes & info "poof" your money's gone.

Think that's impossible?? -- There was a Major break-in at the clearing house for credit cards a couple weeks ago. They said Mastercard & Visa numbers were downloaded somewhere. We might never know where........

Think I'm exagerrating?? I had over $300.00 stolen off a credit card about 3 yrs ago. It was online with only 2 companies at the time but it was also on my banks site. So there was no way to prove where the "breach" happened :( I got all the money back through FDIC, so It turned out ok.

Anyway - The One thing I NEVER tell over the net is my last name - unless the site is secure & I "click on the padlock" to see that the security info IS CURRANT!!!!!!!

Yeah - I'm on a bunch of sites & I have 3 bank accounts & I'm nervous as heck about this stuff..... Theres' way too many Idiots out there with way too much time on theyr hands that are keeping the Antivirus People in business.. Please be careful ..... :) :) :)

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Shamus, thats easy, Its from SHAys are a MUSt.

A logging for ever fan

Shamus
waver.gif

N Gauger

Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
Originally posted by guppyman
guppyman comes from my other hobby.... Not one that I'm nearly as into as I used to be, I'm down to just one fish tank (Sure it's 135 gallons, but that's beside the point).
fresh water or salt??

We have 2 fresh water - 1 - 31 gal long & 1 10 ga hex -

We think the 31 gal is balanced for 4 fish - no matter what we do or the species of fish we try - we cant keep more than 4 fish alive in it for more than a couple months - as soon as the "Extra" fish die - the 4 left can live forever.. :) :)

and it happens with random species - and we've had it for 7 yrs..

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Mine is a story told on just about every forum I am on..:D
I got my moniker from my Grandfather who was a PRR engineer,he had a railroad nick name for all his grandsons.Grandpaw said I look like a brakeman and walk like one,so the moniker "Brakie" as born..A name that many of my modeling friends and follow club members calls me..I even have a plastic name tag with "Brakie" on it that I wear to club open houses and train shows.

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Some of you that know me from some other forums know that"Charlie" isn't my real name. It's a completely made up, false identity...I guess you could say Charlie's my alter-ego...he's the 8-year-old kid that still resides in me that doesn't want to do anything except daydream, & play with trains.
Lately though, he's found gainful employment as the resident railfan, & company photographer for the K&I RR! (only now I'm having to lend him the $$ to get his %$#@ camera fixed!:rolleyes: ...wonder how long it'll take him to pay that back?:D ;) :D )

guppyman

Dec 6, 2001
League City TX
www.railimages.com
Originally posted by N Gauger
fresh water or salt??

We have 2 fresh water - 1 - 31 gal long & 1 10 ga hex -

We think the 31 gal is balanced for 4 fish - no matter what we do or the species of fish we try - we cant keep more than 4 fish alive in it for more than a couple months - as soon as the "Extra" fish die - the 4 left can live forever.. :) :)

and it happens with random species - and we've had it for 7 yrs..

I keep fresh water mostly. I just tore down a reef tank that I was experimenting with.... It did good for about 4 years and then crashed.... My 135 can be seen here: http://community.webshots.com/user/guppyman_2 Under My Stuff... Those are some older pics from about 2 years ago, but it hasn't changed too much. you can't see any of em in the pics, but there are around 50 or so fish in there....

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Since someone asked on the chat line last night, 60103 was the number of the world's most famous locomotive, Flying Scotsman. I wanted to register with gauge quickly for some reason, and that was the first I came up with. (not wanting to use the other locomotive that is my PIN).
Flying Scotsman had 4 numbers in her life: 1472, 4472, 103 and 60103.
I think she is now running as 4472, but might be 60103.
I should have picked another number as one of my friends does business as "The Flying Scotsman".
I seem to be the only person who picked a number as a username; I'll be at the top of the membership list forever. :D

Pitchwife

Dreamer
Apr 23, 2001
The middle of nowhere Oregon
Visit site
Lots of good stories for the origin of handles.

Mine is from a charactor in a series of books By Stephen Donaldson, specifically The One Tree in the "Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant". He was a minor character and only appeared in that one book of the series, but I really identified with him. Since it has been 20 years since I read the book it shows just how much so. If you want more information you'll have to read the books (which if you are into SF & Fantasy I highly recomend).

K.V.Div

May 10, 2001
Shawnigan Lake, B.C. Canada
Visit site
I grew up in two towns and have relatives in a few more alongside the Canadian Pacific's southern route across southern B.C., also known as the Kootenay and Kettle Valley Divisions.
For most of my early years, that was pretty much the only railroad I knew.
The line was dismantled starting in 1979 and by 1990, the entire Kettle Valley Division, with the exception of a short section for a tourist line and most of the Kooteney Division's Boundry Sub. had been torn up:(
in order to keep it alive (in my mind at least) I decided to model parts of the the Kettle Valley Division, hence the name K.V.Div

Terry

jimmybeersa

May 14, 2001
Alberton . South Africa
Keep it going

I sure am glad I started this thread, if one reads between the lines there are a lot of interesting stories out there,it gives insight to what different people we are with one true Love.......
" Trains "