What Kind Of American English Do You Speak??

b28_82

Jan 25, 2004
Midwest City, OK
www.geocities.com
75% General American English
20% Upper Midwestern
5% Midwestern
0% Dixie
0% Yankee

That pretty much sums up where i'm originally from. Even though I've been in the south for over 5 years now, this pretty much shows that I've stuck to my roots(rhymes close to stew), and even though I've gotten used to saying "soda" down here I welcome the word "pop"

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
I got 50-30-5-5-0 with a couple of no answers, and a few where I needed to say "any of them".
I speak southern Ontario, with a few archaisms from my father (the last man in Ontario that pronounces "clerk" as "clark"), a bit of Scottish from my mother (what do you call the grating over a sewer? a siver or seiver?) and a touvh of Ottawa Valley.

Somewhere I have a passage that customs agents used to use to separate the Canadians from the Americans.

wortchillergoal

Aug 17, 2003
Visit site
I found it strange that there was no "Redneck" English.

I was 65 general, 35 Yankee, 5 upper midwest. I must say though that I had to use second and thrid choices for some of the questions as my normal deployment of wording was not available as an answer.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Will_annand said:
Hey now, Andy, don't you cut up Tim Horton, I met him once. He was a great hockey player, on the last winning team Tronna had. Until he tried to move that bridge with his car.

Hey,

Nothing against ol' Tim... My wife suggested on the weekend that she might try the new coffe shop opening in town, instead of The Horton's...

"Traitor!!", I yelled. "And you call yourself Canajun?!"

:D:D:D:D

Andrew

oldtanker

Feb 24, 2006
West central Mn
55% General American
25% Yankee
10%Dixie
5% Midwestren
5%Upper Midwestren

Not bad considering that I was raised in NJ, moved to MN as a teen, spent 20 years in the Army serving in Ks 3 times, Tx once, Ky once, Korea once, Germany 3 times with a few "side trips" to strange and exocit places.

91rioja

Mar 18, 2006
High Point, NC
55% General American English
40% Dixie
5% Yankee
0% Midwestern
0% Upper Midwestern

I was born and raised in Roanoke, VA., and then moved to Greensboro, NC. The percentages work out just about right for time spent in VA (55%) and time spent in NC (40%). Don't know where the Yankee came from. . .

ausien

Sep 14, 2004
Sydney, Austrailia
Personaly, I dont speak any kind of american english, I speak my own butcherd australian called ....ocka....but I think certain members of the gauge are trying to convert me to speaking/ frazing, some kind off american broage....sign1 sign1 sign1

I am also an Australian but I steer clear away from "Ocka" . Give me 4 to 6 weeks traveling around the good old U.S.A. and I will come with an accent, ask my family, it happened 28 years ago. I think that in the main you Americans pronounce your words a little more accurately than the English way.
Tom.S