What Kind Of American English Do You Speak??

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
I'm 50, 15, 15, 5, 5, with no answer for questions 10 (an easy class is just an easy class) and 14 (I'm a model railroader. What's a workout?). Interesting results for a hoser, eh?

Wayne

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
rksstl said:
Born and raised in the midwest, interesting,maybe i did learn something in english class:)

70% General American English
15% Yankee
5% Dixie
5% Upper Midwestern
0% Midwestern

Same as you, Rich...and I was born and raised in Baltimore, whodathunkit?

Taylor

Dec 24, 2005
60% General American English
25% Dixie
15% Yankee
0% Midwestern
0% Upper Midwestern

There is a guy that I work with from Michigan. I always give him a hard time for his "English" and he does the same to me. I drink a soda or a coke....he drinks a 'pop'. I enjoy eating a 'lollipop' on occasion, while enjoys a 'sucker' He has no accent whatsoever (that I can tell anyway) but he'll throw in these words on occasion that completely throw me off guard. We frequently give each a hard time...and his favorite with me is that I drink water from a 'wooder fountain' and when in the mood, I will 'warsh' my car ;) But I remember the old stories from 'Dad' talking about him swimming in the 'crick' as a kid.

C

Catt

I couldn't take the test there were not enough choices.But here is my personal breakdown of what I speak.By the way I use Y'all (pronounced Yawl :D ) quite often and I am a Mid westerner.

20% General American English
20% Yankee
20% Dixie
20% Midwestern
20% Upper Midwestern

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Eastern Long Island, overlayed with New England, overlayed with "Chicago midwest", and traces of just about everywhere else, picked up during the twentyone years I spent in military service.
100% mongrel, North, East, South, West, American "murder" of the english language.

Still, come to think of it, you can't get theah, from heah......or back again :D

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Now lookitthat: The test sez:

50% General American English
30% Yankee
20% Dixie
0% Midwestern
0% Upper Midwestern

Since my native language is (Swiss-)German, I should have learned 100 % General English English - in school. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

But as it looks, something's gone awfully wrong. Ok, the 20% Dixie I blame to my old friend Elvis, who I copied as a youngster when I played and sang in a Rock 'n Roll band, but the rest... :confused:

Hey, could it be that you guys at the Gauge spoilt my beautiful :eek:ops: school English? :D:D:D

Well, I don't care at all, as long as anybody of you still understands me...:wave::wave::wave:

Ron