What is your favorite Steam Locomotive?

Discussion in 'The Real Thing- North America' started by Chessie6459, Aug 5, 2003.

1. Chessie6459

Chessie6459 Gauge Oldtimer

Hello everyone, This thread is about steam locomotives. What is your favorite steam locomotive? Mine are the Pennsylvania K-4s #1361, I-1 Decapod #4483, M-1b #6750, Q-2, T-1 and the A-5 #94. You can say I am a huge Pennsy Railfan.
  2. BillB

BillB Guest

I like the Rock Island K68b 2-8-2 "Mikes" (have #2710) and the C43 2-8-0 " (have #2008) and ANY 4-4-0. The first two locos made up over 50% of the RI steam fleet in 1948. And the 4-4-0s WERE the American steam loco in their day!

I prefer the "old reliables" that made up the majority of the steam fleet to some of the "flashy" locos.
  3. interurban

interurban Active Member

Hi Guys.

Hope this is not just for USA steamers as you asked for one`s Fav

It would be kind of neat if you could post a pic of at least one of your fav, Steamer, your very fav:D :D
    Below is one of my all time favorites.

Battle of Britain Class
    Pines express 34067

Attached Files:

4. Chessie6459

This section applies to all steam engines. There are no restrictions. This is why i made this section so everyone knows what your favorite steam engine is.
  5. Clerk

Clerk Active Member

Mine is the SP Cab Forward. I have a picture somewhere around here if I can find it. The only steam engine I got to ride in.
  6. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

With the exception of the SP cab forwards, and the UP bigboy, any articulated. The C&O H8 Allegheny! The B&O EL3a!
    Any Shay, or class A climax. The B&O C16a 0-4-0, w/ tender.
  7. MCL_RDG

MCL_RDG Member

'nuff said. But i tease- it's gotta be an S-2!

Thanks for the post.

8. Clerk

Clerk Active Member

I found the picture. Here it is.

Attached Files:

9. Ray Marinaccio

Ray Marinaccio Active Member

K4s #1361 For sure I've got a photo of me standing on the pilot when it was at the museum in altoona back in 1988.
  10. Dave Flinn

Dave Flinn Member

Favorite Steamer

Having been offloine for a while, I just came into this and will add my vote:

Milwaukee Road 261. It's still running, I've ridden behind it, and sat in the cab, although not at the same time.
  11. Chessie6459

Yes i have to agree on the K4s #1361. I have a video of the K4s being restored at the shops in altoona. I have watched it countless times. I just can't get over the shape it was in when they brought it down from the curve. It had to over-hauled before being placed up at the Horseshoe Curve. I just can't wait for it to show up at Railfest Next Year.( if it is completed by then ).
  12. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

The Nickle Plate Berkshires are my favourite.
  13. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

CPR Pacific

Since Chris showed one of my favourites, I'll offer this one.

Attached Files:

14. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

Absolute favourite...?

I guess that would have to be the Hudsons NYC streamlined for the 20th Century Limited. Machinery (with a capital "M"), but also rolling art...

15. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

I was born after they were converted back to standard black, but I think my favorite were the two Pacifics that Santa Fe put in semi-streamlined trim for the Valley Flyer. I think they were the first Santa Fe trains to wear the livery that became the "Warbonnett" when they got passenger diesels.
  16. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

After riding the Durango & Silverton, I have to add the "K" series D&RG Mikados to the list.
  17. DanRaitz

DanRaitz Member

My favorite would have to the largest Mikados ever built!!
    Great Northerns O7's and O8's.

Attached Files:

18. Tileguy

Tileguy Member

Nice Mikes those Big ol GN's but heres another one close to home i would love to have a model of Dan
    A DM&IR 2-10-4

Attached Files:

19. Tileguy

Tileguy Member

Here's another big old ore hauling Monster from the DM&IR
    An M3 .these were still used in the yard to steam ore into the mid 60's.to a 6-7 year old kid watching these things in the yard was beyond obsession.good thing security couldnt catch me;)

Attached Files:

20. I like Mother Hubbards. Any wheel configuration. They just scream look at me.