What is your favorite Steam Locomotive?

NS/PCfan

Even though I'm only 19, my favorite steam locomotive is Pere Marquette 1225. I also have a soft spot for others too. #1361 is a great example of one of the other ones I like too. Its good that its still around and running, despite the time it had to sit at Horseshoe Curve for a while. Another thing is the old NYC Hudsons, streamlined and non-streamlined, which is a cool looking locomotive,its a shame there are non left of this mighty steam loco. One more is the NYC Niagaras, what a mean sounding locomotive, which i have on tape on "The Water Level Route". I also like the T1, a very cool looking articulated, too bad it had a short life on the Pennsy.

Long live the Fallen Flags and all living steam locomotives!!!

Espeenut

...my all time favorite is the 4-8-4 Northern class, this may be due to the fact these are the ones I've taken the most photo's of, I've had the oportunity to watch two of them in action within the last couple of years - both operating out of the old Espee Brooklyn Yard roundhouse in Portland Oregon. These are, of course, the SP&S 700 and the SP Daylight 4449. To me, the Northern's had a perfect sense of balance, they're powerful, good looking, sound great, pulled freight or passengers, and I can still go watch them the next time they bring them out...!!

Lorne Miller

Livesteam

Espeenut said:
...my all time favorite is the 4-8-4 Northern class, this may be due to the fact these are the ones I've taken the most photo's of, I've had the oportunity to watch two of them in action within the last couple of years - both operating out of the old Espee Brooklyn Yard roundhouse in Portland Oregon. These are, of course, the SP&S 700 and the SP Daylight 4449. To me, the Northern's had a perfect sense of balance, they're powerful, good looking, sound great, pulled freight or passengers, and I can still go watch them the next time they bring them out...!!

Lorne Miller

i love the daylight a very nice engine and i like the Frank.S

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
sumpter250 said:
After riding the Durango & Silverton, I have to add the "K" series D&RG Mikados to the list.
Amen to that - K-36 2-8-2 Mudhen. By the way, why are they called Mudhens?

Attachments

• zDCP_2358.jpg
    zDCP_2358.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 145

kf4jqd

Like Them ALL

Hi Everyone:

I like them all! :wave: I agree with BillB of course. You have any pictures of the Rock Island locos? I have seen the UP's Big Boy at the National Museum in Green Bay, Wisconsin...Impressive :thumb: The NYC had some nice looking looking locomotives. We can not forget the Southern Pacific's "Daylight". Then there is the "pretty" Southern Railroad's steamers of green and red roof (on the locomotives). I like them ALL... :thumb:

Andy
A Rock Island Railroad Fan :wave:

Attachments

• AA468sm.jpg
    AA468sm.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 142

jdscales040

I personaly am nuetral about steam, but that said I'd have to say I like B&O's Q-3 and Q-4B mikes and the EL-5a 2-8-8-0's.

All time favorite locomotive hands down...............EMD GP7 nothing like a brace of 5 or 6 on EL's 2ndNY100 on a Sunday morning on the "County". Ya just had to be there!:thumb:
John D.

FallBuck&Scaler

CB&Q M-4 and M-4a

Big, hauled anything and everything, and lasted for a long time on the easy grades of the prairies..

Attachments

• cbq6316.jpg
    cbq6316.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 65
  • cbq-6313abnsm.jpg
    cbq-6313abnsm.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 65

DanRaitz

TrainNut,

The term "Mudhens" is generally applied to D&RGW's K27's. It came about (so the story goes) that they had a tendency to "waddle" at any speed, and this "waddle" reminded the crews of the Coot duck (Mudhen) which has a similar gait.

Dan

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
DanRaitz said:
TrainNut,

The term "Mudhens" is generally applied to D&RGW's K27's. It came about (so the story goes) that they had a tendency to "waddle" at any speed, and this "waddle" reminded the crews of the Coot duck (Mudhen) which has a similar gait.

Dan
Cool! Thanks for the info. If you look at the date of my last post in this thread, it only took 1 year and 9 months to find somebody who knew the answer to that question! I can very easily picture that thing waddlin' it's way down the tracks.