Very Unpleasant Day in the East

Ben H

Nov 22, 2002
Victoria, BC
Visit site
We hope that everyone effected by this major power Blackout in the Province of Ontario and the States of New York and New Jersey get thorough this time will no major problem.

It looks like heat, and high demand forced the interconnected system to fail not the actions of some crazy.

Most sources state that the likelihood of this event being caused by terrorist is almost impossible. It would take a huge interconnected c communications system and some very experienced power grid people.

Wishing you all the best.

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Our thoughts & prayers are with all our brothers & sisters up there...

Hopefully some future sollutions will be born out of these hard lessons!:confused: :confused: :confused:

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
It seems everyone is acting in a rational manner; that's good. From what I see on TV, the lights are slowly coming back on; that's also good. The fact that it happened in the first place; that's not so good.:rolleyes:

I wish everyone affected, especially our friends from The-Gauge that they are able to deal with this.

Don

Dave Flinn

Dec 26, 2000
Lansing, NY USA
www.lehighvalleyrr.com
Power Blackout

Well, the stories seem to come thick and fast about what happened, but it sure was sporadic. In Ithaca, about ten miles from where I live, MOST of the power went out shortly after four in the afternoon. Ours went out at 6:15. Somd of Ithaca was back on by a quarter to nine, or so, and ours came back at 9:15. Some areas around here are still out, and I guess the same is true in NYC, 250 miles away.

Anyway, from all reports, everyone seemed to survive and acted rationally. Right from early on, the TV was reporting that it was NOT terrorism, so I guess that soothed a lot of people. It sure messed up some folks trying to get home from work, however.

I remember the Blackout of '65, and they say this was worse, as it covered a larger area. Fifty million people supposedly affected. Now that's a lot!

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
The worse part can be....

I see where power is slowly being restored. We had a storm come through here the other night and we lost power for about three hours. Not nearly as bad, but ya know the worse part of a power failure is going back and resetting all those digital clocks on those kitchen appliances, VCRs, DVDs and TV sets.:eek: :eek:

D:cool: N

pomperaugrr

May 21, 2003
Connecticut
Visit site
We just got power back about 4:00 a.m., in western Connecticut. One of the advantages to N-scale, is that it is simple to hook up a 9V battery to a test track loop, and at least be able to run a DC loco and a few cars. Oh sure, we had no water, lights, or A/C, but those are mere inconveniences. A battery operated lantern and a moving train was good enough for my wife and me. ;)

Eric

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
The power went off at 4:10 pm here in Ontario. We live 60kms from Toronto so subways and streetcars came to a stop. Many folks were trapped in elevators. All traffic lights were out and some good citizens did their best to control intersections that the police couldn't deal with. Folks trapped in subways were lead down the tunnels to the nearest station.
Our power came back on around 4:00AM. Only about 2/3s of whats needed so the Premier of Ontario as declared a state of emergency for the Province. Some areas around Toronto and up north in Sudbury still do not have power. We aren't supposed to use airconditioning but with a temp of 31C and high humidity some folks will. Subway and the GO train service are not in operation today. The Canadian National Exhibition was supposed to open today but may only open tomorrow now.
We can live with it but the cascading shutdown started in Syracuse New York should not have spread so far. New York to Detroit. New England states and Ontario. Wow:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

pomperaugrr

May 21, 2003
Connecticut
Visit site
We can live with it but the cascading shutdown started in Syracuse New York should not have spread so far. New York to Detroit. New England states and Ontario. Wow

It appears that some power company might have built a 1:1 scale cereal-board powerplant after being inspired by some of the work done by a certain member of the Gauge. :D ;) It works fine for smaller scales, but apparently not for the real thing. ;)

Eric

MCL_RDG

Dec 8, 2002
S.E.PA.
Visit site
Where were you when the lights went out?

I got a call at work from, as Blake would say, Laura~~~~~~~~~~~

As she told me (with- she didn't try to show it- deep concern in her voice) what was happening I was amazed. Being at work- with no radio etc at my desk. I love Laura. She's in New York about 20 minutes outside of the city.

For me- it meant I could be on the phone with her for a couple of hours to romance her and be romancing each other.

Still in the dark? I'm glad that someone accepts apparent responsibilty for the blackout thing. From the begging start it has to be Ben. Gee- thanks Ben, but at least you owned uP to it.

"We hope that everyone effected by this major power Blackout in the Province of Ontario and the States of New York and New Jersey get thorough this time will no major problem. "

"We" must mean you and others- great plan- I wish I could have thought of it my self!

Laura and I appreciate your candor in accepting your full acceptance of responsibility for us to be able to have a reason to be in the dark and talk with each other.

Regards from the dark side,

Mark:D

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Dayle and I were coming back from a 12-day vacation yesterday, and as we passed Kitchener we commented on the long lineups at the exit ramps, extending down and onto the highway shoulders. We though that rush hours must be really out of hand. We couldn't hear the radio, so we didn't know there was a problem until we exited in Brampton and the stoplight at the end of the ramp was dead, and the four between that and home.
Power came back on in dribs and drabs through the city -- you could drive a street and traffic lights would be on or off in no pattern. Our house came back on in the afternoon. My mother-in-law's seniors residence is on emergency generators, but severely rationed water.
The TTC is not going to run streetcars until Monday as they expect rolling black outs; the subways is to be thoroughly tested all weekend to see if it was damaged.
The Exhibition is closed because they're afraid that a blackout might hit a midway ride with everyone upside down.