Upcoming model from GreMir Models

shoki2000

Feb 6, 2004
Tampa, FL - USA
www.gremirmodels.com
Ok everybody.
Here is first picture of the new model (available as soon as the build is completed) from GreMir.
Cardfan was gracious enough to volunteer for the build but I asked him not to give out any info about the ship.
Here is the question - What is it?
First person to correctly guess class and nationality will get 25% off the model price (that should be fairly easy). First person to guess the name of the ship, gets it for free - I know, it is way to early for any guesses :D

One hint - it is not any of the ships I mentioned elsewhere :twisted:

charliec

Jan 18, 2004
Brisbane, Australia
From the apparent size of the frame the ship looks as if it would be around 350 ft. There was supposed to be an RN ship model from Gremir before a possible IJN ship.

The straight stem (bow?) and flat foredeck looks like a Hunt or Tribal class destroyer. The Hunts were smaller (about 280 ft) but the Tribals are in the ball park (377 ft). About the most famous Tribal class was HMS Cossack - (my guess).

But then what I know about ships could be written large on the head of a pin.

Regards,

Charlie

charliec

Jan 18, 2004
Brisbane, Australia
Mmm... G & H class is a possibility - 323 feet long is in the ball park of the
estimated length. From the frames it looks like there's a noticeable flare (is that what you call it?) aft of the bow which was a characteristic of this class.
The bow of the G class looks a better fit to the frames of the model.

Maurice thought the Garland - notable for serving in 3 navies (RN, Polish and Dutch). My updated guess, if it's a G-class and a famous ship, would be HMS Glowworm. Sunk in 1940 after attacking then ramming the Admiral von Hipper off Norway - the Captain of the Admiral von Hipper recommended the Glowworm's Captain for a Victoria Cross.

Regards,

Charlie

Maurice

Jan 16, 2004
Charlie

Well from that grotty little photo ( :lol: ) the proportion of focsle length to loa would be right for just about anything from V&W to H.
I notice that the frames seem to make provision for asdic/sonar.
I just stuck a pin with a Polish accent into the list. :eek:ops:
Now a WAIR V&W to go with their upcoming Hunt Type II would be even better.
Have to see what Michael says.

Cheers
Maurice

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi all

well I can't see it being a Tribal as the bow is not raked enough as in the 1935 and 1936 programmes!

My guess would be either a H class or a I class, the I class beind a repeat of the H class except for the bridge structure.

All that aside my guess would be: -

HMS Hardy ( Capt Warburton-Lee) Of the Narvik encounter, just a guess

Rob

Maurice

Jan 16, 2004
This would be understandable.
The basic hull shape was established in the V&W class and only incrementally changed and slightly enlarged through the inter-war A to I.
The JKN hull was larger and the Tribals even larger with a better bow shape.
The War Emergency classes O to R used what was basically the JKN hull and from S on to Z and C they used the Tribal bow. The transom stern was very late in coming as was longitudinal framing and welding.
The Battles got even bigger and the Weapons were an attempt to minimise on size.
So at this stage we have no way of identification, Michael is quite right, and his money is safe.
So is mine, for previously stated reasons.
:D

Savage was the same as the others in the S class except that the single A and B mounts were replaced by an experimental fully enclosed twin 4.5" mount intended for the Battle class.

Cheers
Maurice

Oh, and L and M fit in there as enlargements of the JKN, slightly heavier than the Tribals because of their enclosed 2x4.7" limited HA (70 deg) mounts, and too extravagant for continued wartime production.

R

rickstef

wunwinglow said:
I can hear some smart-alec saying " They all look the same to me...."

Tim P

that smart alec would be me

they DO all look the same

Rick

shoki2000

Feb 6, 2004
Tampa, FL - USA
www.gremirmodels.com
WOW!!!!

Charlie - you sure you don't know anything about the ships?!!!!!!!!!

It is in fact HMS Glowworm and Charlie will receive first serial CD with the model :D

I am amazed that you were able to identufy the ship just after one photo of the frame - have to do it much tougher next time 8)

Mike

charliec

Jan 18, 2004
Brisbane, Australia
I really know very little about ships. Maurice put me on the right track since
he does know about ships. Getting the right ship from the class was just dumb luck (and a bit of research)

If I could make a suggestion - don't photograph on your cutting mat - it wasn't hard to figure out the approximate length from the cutting mat markings and this pruned the search tree very dramatically.

Regards,

Charlie