Trying again and still lost

Jim Spaulding

Apr 25, 2004
Wildomar, CA
Visit site
Rick, David and Everyone Else:

Okay, here’s a thought. Now understand this was one of those 2am thoughts that one wakes up with.

Regarding a shorter than train length reversing section. I understand that using (which I do), metal wheels may create a short. What about cutting in a larger then normal gap in the track. Say something like 1/8” long. Loco flywheels would carry the train past the larger gap. Metal wheels would not have a chance to create a short due to a larger dead spot. Fill the gap in with styrene and file to track profile. Paint and no one would be the wiser.

Just another one of my lack of hair brained ideas.

Jim

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
Jim,

Maybe I have got your direction of operation wrong. Will you ALWAYS run "westbound" (anti clockwise) on the "outer" loop? That means, that you will leave the "westbound staging",forwards, but to return the train to the "westbound staging", you will need to reverse it into the staging, from the mainline.
Now, if you were to enter the Intermodal ladder yard, "forwards", for any "westbound" train, with the installation of a third track (between intermodalladder yard , and westbound ladder yard staging), you could then "reverse" the train along the third track (the transit track) into the westbound staging, and have it ready for a "forward" entry onto the mainline. This would leave your mainline, unfouled due to reversing operations, when getting "westbound" trains out of the intermodal ladder yards.

Again, it's just me be a little obsessive about switching/reversing operations that involve fouling the mainline.

What about cutting in a larger then normal gap in the track. Say something like 1/8” long. Loco flywheels would carry the train past the larger gap. Metal wheels would not have a chance to create a short due to a larger dead spot. Fill the gap in with styrene and file to track profile. Paint and no one would be the wiser.

I use proper "insulated" plactic track joiners for this purpose of insulating rails. I've not had problems with metal wheels shorting them out. I use Peco Code 75 track, and they make a special track joiner just for this purpose. :cool:

Jim Spaulding

Apr 25, 2004
Wildomar, CA
Visit site
Woodie,

RE: Operation:
I was planning (not sure it’s the correct way of doing it), on leaving one track say eastbound staging empty. Then running westbound train all the way around and then using the double slip between the yards have it go westbound on the inside loop to return to the empty eastbound track. That will then leave a westbound track empty to accept an eastbound train after it’s run and so on. Note: Initial game plans are subject to change.

RE: Rail Gaps:
Someone stated that using an automatic reversing module that there might be a problem with the metal wheels creating a short and tripping the module if the reversing track is short. It was suggested that I increase the length of the reversing track. I was just thinking of a way for the wheels to not be able to create a short as I really don’t have room for a longer reversing track. Although I’m now trying to place one on the inner track that feeds the Industrial District. Would also be able to be used as a wye but it will tie up the mainline for just a short doing so.

RE: Third Track:
I might still need it. I’m now trying to move the staging yards below the southern section of the layout. I could give myself about 6” or so below the scenic area. Same game plan on the staging area just on a lower level. Have trains enter the modeled sections via the left and right hand sides. This would allow me to use the northern section for something that I have no idea what as of yet. I’ll keep plugging away at it.

Thanks for all the help.

Jim

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
A quick response, Jim. :):)

Ahhh... so you intend to run both directions on both loops. Not that prototypical for a dual mainline, but what the heck! :) It's the Jim Spaulding Railway and them trains are gunna go where they're told!! :p :cool:

Do you only intend to run one train on the mainlines only or two at once? (one eastbound, and one westbound)?

Jim Spaulding

Apr 25, 2004
Wildomar, CA
Visit site
Woodie

Yeah, I guess I love long mainline runs so being a twice around gives me a little over 2 scale miles of track. (Very nice thanks to Cid).

I’m currently thinking that I would like to have a dedicated switcher located within the industrial district and be able to run two trains along the mainlines.

I know I still need to put in place passing tracks but I haven’t gotten that far. I keep changing other things. (silly me).

Jim

Jim Spaulding

Apr 25, 2004
Wildomar, CA
Visit site
Okay Guys,

Made some changes. Take a look and let me know if I'm on the right track. If so I'll continue to make mods and maybe place the Intermodel Yard in the northern section since it's now available.

I'm not sure I was able to do it correctly but on the left hand side there is now a wye even though it uses the mainline. Passing tracks on both lines (left side only for now) and track going down to staging.

Seems to work on paper anyways.

Thanks

Jim

Attachments

• Version 2 Bambi House 024i.jpg
    Version 2 Bambi House 024i.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 47