There she is....there she is...not so wounded as we were lead to believe.

Cybergrinder

Member Extraordinaire
Jun 24, 2014
Johannesburg, South Africa
I seem to have shook off the slump I was experiencing, for the first time (in forever) (sorry, just watched Frozen 2 with my daughter... :hammerhead:) I have left a model incomplete. The Spitfire is on hold while I embark on a project I've been wanting to do for quite a while.

I'm starting on as diorama (as such) of the battle of Mutara Nebula from Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan. I'm using pretty easy models from SF paper gallery, partly due to space issues :(

I think I needed some light in my life as well....

Here's the first session's work, I started with the Reliant.

IMG_20191218_223511[1].jpg

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
HD42Byq.jpg

:Grin:

For the record, something forced me to post this meme. ... Can someone explain why my inner ear is itching all the time, please?

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
The Reliant looks GREAT!
Interestingly,the Reliant was the first Federation Starship that I scratch build out cardstock when I was 15 yo.
I am looking forward to seeing how this diorama turns out. I wish you the best of luck with it.

Reactions: Cybergrinder

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Looks great!! I bet it will be quite a spectacle at night!! :)

Reactions: Cybergrinder

Cybergrinder

Member Extraordinaire
Jun 24, 2014
Johannesburg, South Africa
So we hit the first, major snag. The template is flawed!!

IMG_20191231_170555.jpgIMG_20191231_170603.jpg

The top and bottom do not align!! You can see the huge gap on the underside once the rear is aligned. The thrusters don't align the rim is out of alignment!!

:hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead:

Haven't made my mind up if I'm going to continue.... It's very annoying when you have to do damage control to a freshly printed template....

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
I had a similar problem when I built UHU02's Viper. The nose hull would not align correctly. I printed it about 4 times to get a nose that somewhat fit (not perfectly but it was the best I could do). It was an enlarged kit and in theory that should not happen but life is full of surprises. It drove me so mad! In your case I would check the dimensions again and make some small incisions along the rim. Glue it together with small overlaps to decrease the diameter so that it matches the curvature of the top piece. Alternatively you may cut out small triangles and glue together the rim from behind with a paper strip which will give you a smooth finish. Then print out the rim again and cover up the incisioned one.

Reactions: micahrogers

spaceagent-9

Right Hand Man and Confidant
Jul 10, 2013
pheonix
You might have to cut it free and run blank sheet around the bottom rim and then trim when glued shut.

Gandolf50

Researcher of obscure between war vehicles...
Staff member
Jan 28, 2013
New Mexico USA
So we hit the first, major snag. The template is flawed!!

1578082479557.png

Yep! You can see that the saucer rim is inset, even in the build on SF Paper... It should ( do to the ARC in the parts ) slant from bottom to top...As it will form a smaller diameter on the bottom arc that is formed...

1578082511491.png
Looks like they tried to make it fit straight up and down, which it will not do! As you can see in the build pic...

and you should be able to catch any slop as a good deal looks hidden by the rear section. Over Lap cut-off, what-ever needed.