Strike it Rich!!!

Discussion in 'Modular Layout Forum' started by MilesWestern, Nov 16, 2005.

1. cnw1961

cnw1961 Member

2. MilesWestern

MilesWestern Active Member

Wow, thanks Kurt! I'll be looking forward to seeing them! :)

Josh, Trainplayer is a blast! and thank you! Would you believe I had a dream about this layout before I built it? (It's True!)

Photos to come..
  3. bigsteel

bigsteel Call me Mr.Tinkertrain

isn't trainplayer awesome! i saw it in MRR and had to have it :mrgreen: well worth the buy :thumb:.
    the dream part is nothing new,don't we ALL dream of the layout we wish we had :mrgreen:,at least yours is actually appearing :rolleyes:.--josh
  4. MilesWestern

Well, despite one hitch along the way (Re: advantages and disadvantages of foam, lol ((See last photo)) ALL my track is now done. It only took 30 minutes, if that. Thanks to the hard, but quiet foam I managed to lay all my track without waking anyone up.

I still need to find a good way to cut my shipping bay in the center, and the road underpass area. A hotwire foam cutter makes sense, but I'm not sure I really want to pay $40.00 for something I'll only use once.

Yes, I live in California, and This is BLUE FOAM!! YAY! Some guy just moved in from out of state with a pickup truck full, I just HAD to have it! The layout is 2'X4' roughly.

5. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

Looking good, Miles. I didn't notice the date at first to see how old this thread is. It is too late for one suggestion I was going to make. When I was looking for a track plan for the L A Junction layout I want to build, I discovered that the Thomas Guide for Los Angeles/Orange Counties has the entire track plan of the LA Junction included on the maps of Vernon and Commerce!

As far as cutting the foam without a hot wire tool, try a serated butcher knife or steak knife. You will probably get some foam "sawdust" mess to clean up, but it is cheaper than a hot wire cutter that you will use one time.
  6. MilesWestern

Thanks Russ! The trackplan is based on the actual arrangement f the track around this little harbor (it's actually 1:1 ratio modeling here, first I've ever seen!) The Harbor is 100% accurate for the real place, and so is 75% of the track arrangement. I unfortunatley didn't have the space to make the top of the layout nothing but trailing point spurs, like the real thing, so I have the interchange track on the top curve in towards the engine servicing facility. for fun, in an unused lot, I predicted future development, and am placing a medium-sized cold storage transfer facility. Also the real lumber spur is a scal city block down the road from the edge of this layout, so I added it in on the upper right spur.

The small 3 track yard is a one-track addition to a medium-sized real petrochemical company. I'll se If I can go get photos of their operation some time soon.
  7. MilesWestern

Here's exactly where I'm modeling:

Live Local Search

Make sure to zoom in, then press "birds-eye view"