Strike it Rich!!!

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
protopaintwest.googlepages.com
In the industural area of RICHmond, CA that is.

I'm dappling into the world of N scale and building myself a Module about 2ft 6" square, but I need help with the track plan, It's Based on Richmond California's wharf, with the primary indusrty being petrochemicals and boxes, lots of boxes.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Miles,

Take a look through the modular resources thread (first in the forum) to see if there are any small plans that might help you.

I think with a small square like that, you will end up with an interpretation of the area, not a prototypical plan...

If you haven't seen it already, Carl Arendt's micro layout site might be a good place to start:

http://carendt.us/

Andrew

Lisap

Nov 20, 2005
NH
I have just gotten started with model rail roading, all though I've wanted my own train since I was a kid(I'm a "bit" older now). I have three sons who all love trains which gave me a good excuse to buy trains. I have a "mix Bag" of trains all in HO scale and I started with a 4x4 layout, I include a switch track to no-where with buffers to make it easier to add on more.
Lisap

Lisap

Nov 20, 2005
NH
I'm sorry I haven't responded till now but you know how these things go. I haven' taken any photos yet but I will post them as soon as I do. You could say my layout is a work is a work in progress, I have my track layed and am in the process of placing some buildings.some day I may be done but I am buying in bits and pieces.
Lisap

Lisap

Nov 20, 2005
NH
:( PS on my post didn't mean to high jack your Thread , can I be forgiven since I'm new here?:cry:
Lisap

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
Of course you're forgiven, I wasn't really using it anyway....because my module is on hold for now!

You're welcome to post anywhere you feel like it! We're all warm and friendly here, don't feel bad, we all make mistakes, and this isn't a mistake!

The Gauge is a fun, excellent place to gather information about nearly everything about railroads, I'm sure there's someone out there willing to answer any question that you may have.

I have a question for you, though, why don't you spend some time and take some great pictures?

You, in nearly all cases would be hard to find negitive criticsm on this site, it's all the sharing of OUR PERSONAL side of the hobby, don't forget that!

:) Have fun and welcome to the guage! :)

Lisap

Nov 20, 2005
NH
Thanks for the welcome ,I am planning on taking some potos but I feel strange posting what I've got done but I will at some point (soon) post them. I have been taking pictures as I have been going,so I surpose I could send in an on going strand of pictures, I could call it the Continuing Saga of Lisa's Trains, don't know we'll see.:wave:
Lisap

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Lisa,

Don't be shy about posting your layout photos. You could start a new thread with that title in the Photog. forum if you wish. There are a few threads that follow the development of layouts - some are several hundred posts long by now.

Andrew

babydot94513

Member in training
Sep 1, 2002
Brentwood, Ca
Visit site
Try a google search for the Richmond Pacific railroad. They are a small shortline that handles the rail traffic in this region. You may also find something on the BNSF Richmond. This is the end of the line for BNSF on the Stockton Sub and the western-most terminous in Nor Cal.

JD

MilesWestern said:
In the industural area of RICHmond, CA that is.

I'm dappling into the world of N scale and building myself a Module about 2ft 6" square, but I need help with the track plan, It's Based on Richmond California's wharf, with the primary indusrty being petrochemicals and boxes, lots of boxes.

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
I looked on their offical site (richmond pacific) and there wasn't any info on their locos rolling stock, or operations. I did a google sattelite look and found (from space!) two sw1200rs's (I believe) a cabooose(!) working the area.

When I drove past their switching area on the way to richmond's great train club, featured on the cover of MR a couple of years back, the "California Dreamin'" issue, I spotted a single unit idling there too.

I suppose I'll have to do some railfanning.

Does anyone have photo's of their units?

babydot94513

Member in training
Sep 1, 2002
Brentwood, Ca
Visit site
I have a photo of a converted tank car that is used for scrap metal, but not worthy of anything other than an odd-looking "thing". I did not know there was an official website, but could very well be.

Best thing is to railfan in person and if you are up to it someday this spring or summer let me know.

JD

MilesWestern said:
Does anyone have photo's of their units?

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
I found a goldmine of info about on the CenCalRails website.

Here's what I found:

Well, at least there's one railroad that still uses cabooses for switching!
http://cencalrails.railfan.net/rprc1268yd.jpg
Here's an SW1200RS (why the RS?)...LOOk at that light package! Must be ex-sp!
http://cencalrails.railfan.net/rprr2285pl.jpg
Looks like a local metal recycling company has got a switcher too!
http://cencalrails.railfan.net/sims5004jd.jpg
Rememers in post #1 that I mentioned petrochemicals..?
http://cencalrails.railfan.net/rprc1268ayd.jpg
...and you thought that previous had a big light package! and a note: My dad and I drove over this darn crossing, and we're lucky we still had a working suspension! Yikes.
http://cencalrails.railfan.net/rprc1195yd.jpg

well there's just a small snippet of the railroad.

Here's it from space!
http://www.google.com/lochp?hl=en&tab=wl&q=

if that doesn't work, look here!

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
Ok, I've started construction. I'm using foam board, like the kind you may use for poster projects as the base, and then I've laid the roadbed, and about to lay the track, My frriends and I use hot glue, is this a good idea?

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Hi Miles,

I would not (personally) use hot glue. I find it too messy - but maybe that is just me. I can never get a nice thin even coat that stays sticky long enough, and if you glop it on, then it is not flat...

I would use something like adhesive caulking spread nice and thin.

Andrew

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
RichmondPacific.png

It's coming! :thumb:

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
Dec 12, 2006
Cincinnati,Ohio
also,if you feel like it the TRAINPLAYER home page has hundreds of little layouts and MASSIVE club layouts that you can see on there site.some of these are very ingenious,although your plan you just posted is up there with the best of'um.good luck.--josh