Start with a lousy photo..

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
and wind up with a mediocre one! This was actually the first shot with my new camera, taken in the auto mode. I should've at least turned on the headlights. Visable in this shot is the lighting I use to light the lower level of my railroad. Now I can see that I'll have to install something to cover the lights, or be more careful composing shots. When standing in the aisle, the light are hidden behind a fascia, but when shooting from track level, there the lights are! This shows the difficulty of getting proper lighting for photos on this level. That brewery from the other thread (and the bridge with graffiti) are to the left of this shot. Ah well, this winter I'll work on the top level!

Attachments

• p1010007.jpg
    p1010007.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 181

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hey Gary,
Your getting there my friend, Love the photo. Do you have paintshop pro7?

I played around in Paintshop pro7 and also added lights:D
Shamus

Attachments

• gary.jpg
    gary.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 161

RI541

Feb 20, 2002
Winchester N.H.
Visit site
Alright, thats it, enough is enough, I can't take it any more, HOW do you guys take the photo's off The-Gauge and play with them? is there some special software for this?

Thanks

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Originally posted by RI541
Alright, thats it, enough is enough, I can't take it any more, HOW do you guys take the photo's off The-Gauge and play with them? is there some special software for this?

Thanks

Shane, just right click on the photo a menu drops down, then left click on "save picture as" In the BOX "save in" which is another drop down menu, you save it to a folder on your hard-drive. If you have a drawing/painting programme, place it in that and when you have finished playing around with it. Re-post in here using the "Browser" at the bottom of the page. 100kb max size for the browser.

Shamus

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
Gary,
Wasn't it a great feeling when that pic first showed up on-screen?? :) :)
It's real tempting to search around the layout for scenes etc knowing you can get results in 10 mins huh?
I love the detail on your locos, the angle you took the pic from makes them look real! Don't worry about the lights. Later you will be able to get rid of them with a graphics program like Paint Shop Pro (aka PSP).

Next thing, you will be looking for backdrop photos to start "puter enhancing". All in all it's just another reason model RR'ing is a great hobby as the number of disciplines is quite far reaching.

Well done sir.

Errol

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Come to think of it Gary, looks right at home in Badger Creek.:D

Shamus

Attachments

• gary1.jpg
    gary1.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 145

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Hey this is great! I can post mediocre photos and others get to have fun playing with them, then all of us get to enjoy the results of their labor! Thanks to all for their kind comments, please be aware that the steam loco is an Erie R1, owned and painted by Blake Tatar. Tyson, I love that background. You don't happen to have a shot of Hudson valley scenery to put behind it do you? Shamus, the only software I have for photo work is the Camedia master which came with the camera. I haven't looked at it, is it worthwhile? Also have MGI Photosuite, which came with othe digital camera. That's the one I used to resize the photos I post. I suppose one day when I have time to devote to it I should buy the Paintshop program since you would be able to help me with it. Rather presumptious of me I suppose but you seem willing. Thanks again.

Gary

yellowlynn

Jul 7, 2001
Whitehouse, Tx USA
Visit site
You guys really tick me off !!!!!!! I sit here with scrambled brains (???) and feel like I invented perpetual motion when I learn to scan and send Email. Then you come up with all these goodies and make me ruin my keyboard because I drool all over it. Makes me mad enough to go out and spit on a sidewalk. So be that way !!!! See if I care !!!

I really wouldn't care, except they all look so dad-blamed good. Keep it up tho, I'll get a pan to drool in.

Lynn

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Tyson, Looks like they're having a race up a steep hill! Could you add smoke to that steamer? Too bad that diesel isn't an Alco, you could add smoke to it as well.

Gary