reefer madness...

Art67

Apr 18, 2005
Baltimore
Hello everyone, here is a reefer that I have been working on the past week. It was weathered with acrylics,oils, and pastels. I have been working on achieving a believable rust effect that has texture. I also added cal-scale air hoses and Kadee #58 scale couplers and will be adding Kadee's semi-scale wheelsets as soon as I can get to the LHS.

Attachments

• 932.jpg
    932.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 230
  • 905.jpg
    905.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 222
  • 906.jpg
    906.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 228
  • 907.jpg
    907.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 223
  • 908.jpg
    908.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 222

Art67

Apr 18, 2005
Baltimore
This car is a freelanced attempt at a reefer as might have been found in the late 60's when a lot of railroads were facing bankruptcy and mergers .

Attachments

• 909.jpg
    909.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 222
  • 911.jpg
    911.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 219
  • 919.jpg
    919.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 223
  • 922.jpg
    922.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 208
  • 923.jpg
    923.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 210

Art67

Apr 18, 2005
Baltimore
I was particulary happy with the roof -I used a reverse weathering process on this car and I think I am getting closer to achieving the many shades of rust found naturally on cars

Attachments

• 920.jpg
    920.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 215

Art67

Apr 18, 2005
Baltimore
Lynn, thank you so much for your kind words and encouragement. I really appreciate your comments very much!

Stuart

L

lester perry

I am very impressed. The only addition I might suggest is some damage somewhere. A bent step, some dents in the doors. But who am I to complain I couldn't do what you have done.
Les

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
HOLEY SMOKES! Art67, that has gotta be the most REALISTIC looking rust i have EVER seen put on a car.:thumb: i have seen rust jobs on cars & engines at shows and other forums, but compared to YOURS, they are just mear factsimalties. thats just slap OUTSTANDING work!:thumb: :thumb: THANK YOU!:thumb:

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Art, I'm joining the choir of the others. What you do must be the ultimate technique for rust-weathering. The combined impact of the different color shades PLUS the appropriate surface structuring produces the most realistic rust I've ever seen. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

A question: Do you really see frequently such a rolling junk box in US freight trains? Here in Europe we also have freight cars which are VERY dirty - moving dirt heaps, so to speak. You see oil stains, whitish concrete powder, dirt from the ground, and rust-colored brake dust, of course. BUT almost never are there cars with structural scars by rust like your model. Such a car would be taken out of a train in the next classification yard by freight equipment inspectors.

Perhaps European and US RR enterprises have different security philosophies?

Ron

zedob

Dec 26, 2004
Chicopee, MA
WOW, what a great job. Flat out, that has to be one of THE best rust jobs I have seen. You must definitely put together a tutorial. Your technique msut not go down as a mystery to us.

Art67

Apr 18, 2005
Baltimore
Thanks to everyone for their feedback. I appreciate the kind words and constructive remarks from everyone. RailRon brings up an interesting point about prototypical railroad weathering. His question referred to if there are prototypical examples of such a weathered car. I think he makes a good point, however, I was a professional railroader for several years and happened to see quite a number of heavily rusted cars in use or along the right of way. In fairness most of these were of the gondola variety-I have seen gons with actual rust holes in the sides of cars. I good many boxcars were suprisingly rusted, but probably not to the extent of my modeled car, But in general, I would agree with RailRon. In my second entry, I did explain this car was from the late 60's when railroads were facing mergers and bankruptcy and there were many rustbuckets plying the rails in those days. I actually plan to have this car set out on an abandoned, weed riddled spur. Basically a forgotton car used most likely as a storagecar or perhaps just a general nuisance that noone has bothered to fuss with. This car is an attempt to perfect a rust technique I am working on-I wanted to see how much texture and variety of rust hues I could create, with the more delicate rust holding up to actual handling of the car. I am so far very pleased with the results. I normally go a lot easier on the weathering on most of my cars on my layout, as I prefer more of a clean look to things. But I think a super detailed rustbucket makes my other cars "pop" if you will. I am already using this technique on three other cars, this time with more FRA friendly rust. I must say, they are coming out pretty cool looking. I will post them when they are ready to hit the high iron. Thanks to everyone for the comments and suggestions.

Stuart

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Stuart,
I recall seeing an article a year or two ago in Model Railroader that featured a weathered Penn Central box car that looked just as decrepit as your example. There is a prototype for everything! :)
Ralph

Art67

Apr 18, 2005
Baltimore
Ralph, thanks for the tip. You also reminded me of a very good point. I need to keep better track of my prototype photos. I can't tell you how many times I go to look for a certain picture, only to find it has mysteriously vanished only to return when it's no longer needed. The only problem is that it cut's into already limited layout building time. Thanks for the heads up on the Penn Central boxcar. And I agree, there does seem to be a prototype for just about everything.

Stuart

Art67

Apr 18, 2005
Baltimore
Wclmrr1209- Glad you enjoyed the Wabash reefer. I am still trying to get consistent results, but each car gets a little bit better with more predictable results the more I work at it. I am a big advocate of these new water based oil paints, and can't recommend them enough.

Stuart