reefer madness...

Art67

Apr 18, 2005
Baltimore
Due to everyones overall positive feedback, I will try to convey how this effect was achieved. I do not take credit for this method, I just like the end result. I first give a grimy coat of acrylic {floquil} based paint and let it sit for 2 or 3 days. Once cured, I hit it with a wash of water soluble oil paint available at art supply stores {It'll last you forever}. In this case I used Raw umber. I actually purchased a few other colors such as raw sienna etc. Once the wash was dry, I added more oil paint full strength- kind of a dry brushing/stippling effect with a short haired brush. The stippling effect will create texture in the oil paint. I then use regular old pastels that I scrape on a piece of sand paper and let the powder fall easily into the stippled oil. At this point you wanna let it sit for 10 -15 minutes and then BLOW the excess off so as not to disturb the still wet stippled rust texture. I then wait 24 hours and care fully use a wash of the oils to blend everything together. One other thing-do the above technigue on the trucks, wheels and and a really dilute wash for the coupler. It takes a bit of experiment but it's really not that hard. Have fun and let me know how it goes.

Stuart

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Stuart, the "Rust King"

Stuart, THANKS for the "how to" on the weathering process you use to get your cars so REALISTICALLY rusted:thumb:. i have read your last post, then looked at your pics several times...i am still 100% lost. seems like a long hard process to me. I'm going to stick with my airbrush, and i think I'll just sit back and ADMIRE the AWESOME work YOU create, and just flat out consider YOU the "rust king":thumb:. i have honestly NEVER, seen such REALISTIC looking rust done on cars before;) . keep up the GREAT work! and keep posting them!:thumb: THANKS!:D

Art67

Apr 18, 2005
Baltimore
UP SD40-2,

Thanks for the kind words, and don't hesitate to ask if you ever have any questions on the rust technique. That reefer was actually a botched weathering job that had sat dorment for a couple of years in my scrap box. It seemed a perfect candidate to experiment on, and thankfully it worked out pretty cool in the end. As far as the technique goes, if one gathers the above mentioned materials, it'll all fall into place once you start playing with it. I normally go quite a bit lighter on the weathering, but cars like this can look pretty cool as a storage car or abandoned MOW shed. Thanks again, and I always enjoy seeing your posts on the forum.

Stuart

Art67

Apr 18, 2005
Baltimore
Miles,

Glad you found the thread helpful, please post the results of your reefer and let me know how it turns out. Thanks again.

Stuart

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
protopaintwest.googlepages.com
My stash of Reefers...

Here they are! First, there's ART 29039, a steel-ended woodsided reefer that's seen nearly thirty years of hard service and remains unrebuilt. I based the weathering after this spectacular car....

http://www.geocities.com/oldlahistory/cbq239599.jpg

..so without further adeu, here it is!

art29039.JPG

Art67

Apr 18, 2005
Baltimore
Miles,

Awesome job on that reefer! I like the prototype pic as well. Thanks for the photo and great job.

Stuart

CN1

May 6, 2003
WOW!! Art67 this is the most convincing “weathering job” I have seen yet.:thumb:

Looks awesome. I hope to be able to do something ½ half as good someday.
Very realistic. Very well done:thumb: :thumb:

Thanks for sharing